New CRT shader from Guest + CRT Guest Advanced updates

New Release Version (2023-08-14-r1):

Notable changes:

• New (negative mask bloom) effect nice improvement.
  • Bloom Distribution implemented for negative values too. User can now control how bright ‘pure’ masks can become without adding bloom mask mitigation.
  • New scanline option added for thinner dark scanlines. It’s now quite easy to have flat 'bright scanlines and very thin dark scanlines. It’s implemented in a way which does not disturb existing presets.
  • New color grading options: per-channel gamma adjustments.
  • Small code tweak.

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/kk4SDY7J#4XO20xs-cvDhO8SuJ78RgFKQcnD_W4RDKDt5SYKN3n8

16 Likes

Wow That was fast, I just posted an image :joy: :joy: :joy: I’m going to try this new version :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Wow! Mask bloom negative values look better now :grin:

12 Likes

Thanks for testing. :smiley: It might be a subject for further development, though. :grin:

With new bloom sampling mode and other features, I’m re-discovering ordinary mask bloom again. It can be very good for aperture presets. In fact, I’m pleasantly surprised…good features are colors are very nicely preserved, scanline saturation too. Just a hint, where is a good start for some specific aperture setups…

9 Likes

I think the last presets I posted here with your shaders have improved with new release without changing any params. Congrats!

6 Likes

Some testing with negative values for bloom distribution setting. Glow and halation are disabled on purpose except for bloom.

“Different bloom sampling for this one”

This is very useful since it doesn’t affect the brightest value in the gray ramp. Some nice results can be achieved by lowering mask gamma.

4 Likes

Hello, I’m curious if this look is possible with your shader? When a value is over-bright and highly saturated, like in the reds, you get little dots of color. From a distance this gives a satisfying look. I thought perhaps some combination of masks and gamma might make it possible.

2 Likes

Royale was designed in an era, where LCD display brightness was an issue and boosting saturated colors this way gave a push in brightness and contrast.

‘GDV’ is more color accurate with mask mitigation as also megatron is color and mask accurate in a regular use case.

So, regarding color accuracy there is no real need for it, maybe it’s an aesthetic boost as royale is a strong reference.

But additional code is also needed for most effects, I doubt that such an effect on saturated colors will appear by coincidence with GDV no matter the tweaks.

6 Likes

New Release Version (2023-08-16-r1):

Notable changes:

• New (negative mask bloom) effect minor tweak.
  • New functionality added: Clip Saturated Color Beams.
  • Edit: small improvement

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/VgYmlbjQ#mtg90UqC_GhXdzg8C8hT-BFZfED85Xxuj13sW0EEcNc

12 Likes

Oh wow, that new color beam setting was something I didn’t realize I needed. Was gonna ask what exactly does it do but decided to just test it out.

Here’s without the setting:

Here’s after cranking it up to 0 25:

I can now see all the little minor detail lines all around Cyclops clearly while still maintaining a bright vivid image. This setting is incredible @guest.r, thank you for this unexpected gift, gotta get into the lab right now for this one.

5 Likes

New Release Version (2023-08-17-r2):

Notable changes:

• “Clip Saturated Color Beams” effect refinement and alternate mode added.
  • Edit: release2

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/g051HBQZ#V_-RTsTrizaUn2wvubQMT-76lEMnA7eLW_EgRgXF9JA

11 Likes

It looks like you lowered the effect/intensity a bit for the color beam setting for this update.

2 Likes

Yeah, it was a bit unbalanced. Old implementation is under ‘negative values’, which can desaturate fully saturated colors too (see color bars in the 240p suite).

As far-fetched it might sound, but there’s a ton of testings sometimes involved with introducing a new feature. This applies to testing screens as to shader configs.

So it might be a subject of change, indeed. Mostly because I find a use case where it should do better, and I must learn a bit from it and repeat the process.

6 Likes

thank you so much for all of your hard work!

4 Likes

Completely understandable. When it comes to the technical coding behind the scenes testing and stuff I have trust in you all the way, I’m just the loyal lab rat test subjecter that plays with the finished product tweaking the knobs and things after you unleash the finished result lol.

One thing I noticed right away with that new feature setting is that it seems to produce a slight moire pattern on some of the areas that it does have it’s effect on (noticed it the most in bluish areas), nothing really major since my presets have moire in them regardless, just something I noticed. Maybe that’s an intentional effect that happens when using that new setting.

1 Like

Here is a comparison of the new ‘feature’ on/off:

Off:

On:

It’s suggested to increase saturation, scanline saturation or/and to lower black level a bit when using this feature, but it can look quite nice.

7 Likes

Fantastic! That’s a good new feature. Now I realize that this is going to help a lot, some games tend to weaken strenght of the masks. With the same settings I have some games look stunning and others looks weak and I don’t know why, but with this option I think is going to help a lot. I will try them, I haven’t had chance yet. Thanks for your hard work. Keep it up! :muscle::muscle::muscle:

2 Likes

Funny that you mentioned that because on the previous sample pack I uploaded I lowered the scanline saturation to .10, for this current pack I put it back to default of .50 not knowing that that setting was recommended to be increased. Since it’s recommended to increase it with that new setting I’ll try raising scanline saturation even more later on.

1 Like

Ok @guest.r, I’m trying to figure out what exactly is causing these weird lines in the image using the new setting.

Here’s with color beam at 0.20:

When I switch it to 0.25 it then looks like this:

At first I thought it was just due to using curvature but even with curvature turned off it looks the same. I’m not sure if it’s some other setting somewhere that may be causing it as well.

2 Likes

New Release Version (2023-08-18-r1):

Notable changes:

• “Clip Saturated Color Beams” effect better implementation.
  • Negative bloom mask strength feature added. Can be very useful.
  • Parameter / feature cleanup, prepping for the repository update.

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/w1QX0CQK#Z2FN1eCSv2IcD-UtxVgIExn2FSJTkG3CdnFKaZIThJo

Check the new version please, it’s got a new implementation regarding scanlines.

14 Likes