New CRT shader from Guest + CRT Guest Advanced updates

I love this shader, but I do have to confess it is best on LCD/OLED. On my 65 inch Panasonic plasma the masks I cannot get to look right on certain colors. For example on blue colors and red, you cannot see the mask emulation/phosphors at all and the scanlines get clipped/broken bad, especially on slot masks which is my mask of choice because all CRT TV’s I grew up on had one.

While aperture works better, it looks to grid like and I hate it.

Are there any parameters I can adjust to stop the effects from being drowned out on these certain colors? Or maybe I should stop being cheap and finally get my LG C1.

3 Likes

Oled is really amazing for emulation. I have a 1080p panasonic plasma Oled 4k panasonic ez950.

Of course the oled surpasses it in all areas, resolution, colors, black level incomparable. The oled surpasses any type of screen, and even better than the qled (, better black on oled no bloom) …

3 Likes

You have to know how your finances go but plasma just may not be as accurate and pixel perfect enough to display these shaders the same way. Many plasmas use lower resolution panels and scaling is almost always active. Then plasma has its own “noise” going on in the generation of the image which can be seen up close. I’m sure you can get a plasma to look really great for these types of things but it might require some time and effort to customize these shaders because I’m almost certain that they weren’t designed with plasma TVs in mind.

4 Likes

Yea it’s def. something with my plasma, because this does not happen on my 1080p laptop LCD when I use this shader.

Money is not an issue with picking up the LG C1, what has been stopping me is the graphics card shortage. I feel it’s a waste to pick up the grand daddy of modern gaming TV’s if I can’t utilize it with my HTPC. My current HTPC is an i5 4670K and 1660TI. It is in no way, shape or form capable of 4K gaming, so I am stuck with the display it works great on - my 1080p Plasma.

Once I get a 3080TI, I will be able to build my new HTPC and upgrade my display finally…but I refuse to pay $ 2100.00+ to a scalper for one.

3 Likes

To get more authentic crt emulation regarding colors you can approximate the gamut of your modern display. Usually leaving this at default produces too saturated colors. Selecting an appropriate color profile can tweak the experience further, same goes for the LUT colors.

Mask is calculated as a repeatable/tiled pattern, there are benefits with this approach regarding a simple enough pattern. More advanced patterns as some with geom-deluxe would require some more complex handling and reading a “png” is quite more elegant, maybe with less initial tweaking potential.

4 Likes

guestr

I hope everything is going well for you, protect yourself, take care of yourself

and i’m going to have fun this week with the crt guest adv rev2 shader

I’m going to try to get as close to my sony crt as possible, test the settings that nesguy posted, compare, improve, so thanks for everything

if you have any settings to share to make it look like a crt aperture grill, I’d be happy to test your setting in 4k oled at home thank you good continuation

2 Likes

There’s nothing you can do about it. The temporal dithering and weird subpixels make it almost impossible to make any masks look right on a plasma.

OLED has its own problems with masks, but the black and white slotmask + BW aperture might be sufficient.

There are no perfect solutions.

3 Likes

What about something like Samsung Q80? I know they’re brighter and can max out mask effect more…but I don’t want to fry my eyes with extreme blue light. Plus I think the refresh rate on the OLED would be faster.

2 Likes

OLED TVs have a latency of less than 0.1 ms, where the best QLED TVs have a response time of 2 to 5 ms. OLED technology therefore displays smoother images and better definition on moving images, without ever blurring. This is especially nice when watching sports on TV.

3 Likes

It’s all trade-offs. Motion handling is better on OLED, but max brightness is higher on QLED and QLED has a more mask-friendly subpixel structure.

3 Likes

Most of us use Windows and it is not color managed. For example, I use Adobe RGB monitors on my PC and this means that colors are oversaturated. If you know you have a wide gamut Adobe RGB or even DCI-P3 monitor, you can set this as a base – it’s a starting point.

To clarify, some apps are color managed like chrome and photoshop.

4 Likes

@trnzaddict

OLED in the living room for watching TV/movies

QLED in the MAME cab, viewing angles don’t matter, better for CRT emulation

3 Likes

17 posts were merged into an existing topic: CRT Squabblin

Thanks guest for the answer. :slight_smile: makes it quite clear to me

2 Likes

The png size could be 2x1 or 4x4…doesn’t really matter, since the pattern is tiled over the output resolution. As i remember to have read royale also uses lanczos mask resampling for different situations. It should work better and better as viewport increases.

2 Likes

Hi all I moved the posts debating about display panel types to CRT Squabblin as this thread is supposed to be for Guest’s amazing shaders.

11 Likes

Guest.r: can you add a mask that simply darkens every 2nd/3rd/4th etc (with choice) pixel (a simple vertical gray line)?

PS the guest-advanced-fast is stunning on 1080p cellphone snapdragon 835, especially when I use it for rotated screen games, I also use an adjustable gamepad so I can use it on portrait mode.

4 Likes

I’ve mentioned something like this a couple times. At 1080p scales, darkening every 3rd line can look quite nice with the right scanline settings. Not sure if there’s enough demand for it or if it’s feasible, though.

2 Likes

Release version is almost ready. I’m adding 2 new BW masks along with some minor fixes. I guess it’s a viable option for ordinary displays and best one for plasma / rgbw (low (ips) and high quality (oled) white pixel implementations).

Best viewed with dpi scaling at 100%.

10 Likes

New Release Version (2021-10-10-r1):

Notable changes:

• 2 more 3-size BW masks added, 8 and 9.
  • Interlace params (intera, linearize pass) fixed back, as it affects brightboost with interlaced situations.
  • Mask parameter descriptions adjusted accordingly.

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/J4A1GYLb#4kSV_mJy0p9zdWB6r0shOGpBo4tlt--oOS-atilNX_0

13 Likes