New sonkun crt guest advanced hd presets thread

Both samples are looking great! I tested out the 1080p sharp and sharper samples on my Nvidia Shield last night, as well as the 1440p ones on my PC just now. I prefer the sharper preset, actually! Didn’t notice any ringing on my Shield or my PC.

One thing though is that I was getting crashes with the sharper preset on my Shield. I’m pretty sure it consistently crashed when playing Super Castlevania, but the sharp preset I think crashed once and that was it. I’m using bsnes though, which I likely shouldn’t be. Haven’t tested it with snes9x to see if it would make a difference.

1 Like

Nice. I actually went and tweaked them again and ended up with a look that seems to be in the middle of both, but now guest.r just released another update while I was away so I’ll be checking that out soon which means I may end up back in the lab yet again for more tweaking lol.

How many fps are you getting on the Shield when using the shaders? You told me in another post that you were getting full speed which I’m amazed at because I get about 57-58fps on mines. Only after I overclock the gpu I can then run all composite presets at full speed even the megadrive rainbow one which is the most gpu intensive preset in the pack.

2 Likes

i;m waiting impatiently to look forward to know what you can do with the latest guest advanced

1 Like

It should be ready by tomorrow or later today depending on your time zone. In fact all composite presets are done, labeled up and ready to be shipped out right now. Reason why I haven’t put it out yet is because I started gaming trying out random games having too much fun with the new composite look lol and also because I just finished tweaking my RF presets, wanted to give them a small sharpening make-over as well to go with its composite cousin. But definitely by tomorrow I will post the new pack. Be on the look out for sure.

3 Likes

Sorry for the late reply. I am not running anything too demanding on my Shield (I think the most demanding thing I tested with your shaders was Final Fantasy III with bsnes), but everything seemed to be running smooth. If I ever bother with anything above SNES, I’ll let you know!

1 Like

New Version Release (11-26-2023)

Changes Made

• Uses guest.r’s latest shader update version (2023-12-02-r1)

• All composite and rf presets have been updated and sharpened using the new sharpness features included in guest.r’s latest shader update.

Basically we’re going from this (presets from previous pack):

To this:

Download the latest pack in the first post.

Be sure to update to guest.r’s shader update first before mines as my update relies on his latest update to display everything as intended.

This post is all about the composite and rf presets, with guest.r’s latest shader update it’s now possible to create a sharpened composite image that could not have been done in any past guest shader iterations without “hacking” it (adding other external shaders to the mix).

This update should usher in a new era for tweaking the composite look in general. Thank you @guest.r for this amazing shader and I hope everyone enjoys.

5 Likes

it looks pretty good i’ll try them out soon

2 Likes

Thanks. Hope you like them, going in a different direction with this look here so it’ll be interesting seeing feedback on this.

1 Like

Been playing around with your presets and wow, they look amazing. I specially love how bright the aperture grill preset looks on my OLED.

4 Likes

Oh wow I think this is the first time someone showed me a actual photo capture of my preset on a OLED, gotta say that looks amazing indeed. I wasn’t sure if my presets looked good at all on any OLED that’s why I had put a disclaimer in my first post about using them on a OLED but this pic seems to clear all doubt.

That’s the 4k preset you’re using there?

1 Like

It is indeed, with your suggestion above regarding mask. The picture honestly doesn’t do it justice. It’s very bright, in a good way. Looks great in motion.

2 Likes

Ah using the BGR mask layout. So that’s how it all looks then on OLED, not bad at all indeed. I remember reading about that mask layout swap when @Cyber mentioned it since he also has a OLED and more knowledge on them than I do.

I’m glad you’re enjoying this latest pack, first feedback I got so far lol.

1 Like

Hey from y’all’s experience whats my best bet in terms of shaders basically I really want the colors to pop for games like metal Slug should I go with rgb or composite?

1 Like

For anything arcade I say go with RGB for sure, preferably Slot Mask as well. Those are the clearest presets out of the pack and the colors pop there more than the composite presets

call it herecy, but i do use composite artifacts slot mask for everything, i do really like how even the arcade-Neo geo games looks like over at composite

1 Like

Nice man, yeah that preset is there for when you just want a little extra with your composite instead of just the plain look.

On another note it looks like this new look is a good choice, I made a little post on reddit cause I was curious to what people thought and the responses have been all positive. I thought people were gonna want the more blurry look back but it looks like this new composite look is here to stay. I love how it looks myself.

2 Likes

Hi I installed both your and guests shaders, and changed to vulkan, but when i go to select a shader from the folder retroarch says “no items”

1 Like

Exit and re enter RetroArch then try it again. Whenever you switch drivers it’s always best to exit and re open it so that the new settings “stick”. That should solve the issue.

Thought I’d get the ball rolling with this sample pack trying out guest.r’s new High Resolution Scanlines setting with the scalefx shader:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/6o1x9ycht7ofoxl/sonkun-guest-advanced-scalefx-samples-11-30-2023.zip/file

Place presets directly in the “shaders” folder.

Included are both rgb and composite samples.

These presets are more gpu intensive than my regular presets. Also be sure to download guest.r’s latest shader pack (version 2023-11-30-r1) before trying this pack.

8 Likes

i’ll try them out at some time this same day

1 Like