New sonkun crt guest advanced hd presets thread

Elevator Action Returns.

On another note now that I just released my latest pack I can go check out that ntsc rainbow shader @Hyllian showed me the other day. If things go as I hope that shader might be the last piece I need to really complete my preset pack. Would love to replace the old mame_ntsc shader with something better for my md rainbow presets.

3 Likes

mi new modifications with your current presets, the koko aio shader is quite good too, i’m thinking about increasing a bit more the ntsc sharpness, maybe to -2, gamma correct eliminates the weird color gaps over at psx games some parts were darker than others was wierd

ntsc_sharp = "-1.000000"
glow = "0.450000"
bloom = "-0.850000"
gamma_c = "1.375000"
mask_zoom = "1.000000"
mask_layout = "1.000000"
1 Like

these are from today?

1 Like

Yes just posted this today. You know I stay in the lab lol. I may do a quick edit and put up another revision later tho. I’ll see.

2 Likes

I’m a bit confused as to why all shaders have NTSC in the name, but sometimes also have PAL. I understand it’s a “phosphor type”, but I’m also not sure what phosphor type (USA/Japan/PAL) means. I know there’s types of masks, different dot-pitch, but types of phosphor? I tried googling, but no luck. Any info on this?

Also, would this shader do okay with PAL games? Any adjustments necessary?

For NTSC, this is the best shader I found. However, the instructions for NES seem to make the picture darker and colder. I ended up not applying them. Comparing to a photo of a real CRT, they seem unnecessary.

Running into an error on my end with the following line after turning on the logs: [ERROR] [Vulkan]: Failed to compile shader: “/RetroArch/shaders/shaders_slang/crt/shaders/crt-resswitch-glitch-koko.slang”

LMDE6 tested on both flatpak and steam installations with updated shaders from online update. I went back to check the shaders directory on a late 2022 stable build of retroarch and didn’t see this shader. If someone can point me on the right direction I would really appreciate it.

You recently updated your slang shaders? It’s a fairly new shader in the crt folder. Try updating one more time and see.

1 Like

It’s because that’s the name of the guest.r shader that I’m using which is “crt-guest-advanced-ntsc”. I also use the hd version of the shader so I also have presets with the name “crt-guest-advanced-hd” in the name.

Truthfully those PAL and Japan types were put together just because those options were there in Dogway’s grade shader. For more technical info you can most likely find it either in his thread that’s also here in the shaders sub forum or more than likely on his github where there’s some “readme” documents that go more into detail on the different settings.

Sure why not, any adjustments is purely up to the individual. I just put together settings that I personally use myself on the US presets and transfer them over to the other types.

Thank you, I tried to make something that’s a bit on the sharper side but still can handle all dithering effects. You mean the NES suggestions about changing the palette? If so then that’s the Palette I personally use and think looks the best and also what I uses when making my presets. The default palette looks terrible to me, I would never use that.

sonkun, thanks for the input. For anyone else using either flatpak or the zypper package manager on suse linux or other distros, the missing shader(s) can be manually added from the buildbot’s latest build: https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/linux/x86_64/

1 Like

Nice. Glad you got it up and running. I’m working on another update pack, not satisfied with the current one plus I noticed a few things that needs corrected. Should be available before the weekend.

1 Like

Sounds good sonkun, I’ll keep an eye. Thanks to you and @RetroCrisis ( @michaelacosta3213 over on YT). Hopefully this helps other linux users with discrepancies with their package manager of choice.

3 Likes

That Donkey Kong screenshot has me excited! I love it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Appreciate it and yeah everything should be good now simply by updating the slang shaders.

@RetroCrisis my guy Retro what’s going on. I’m glad you like those pics, truth is though that I changed up the look once again, you know I’m always tweaking lol. Made a few changes coming in my next update, it’s pretty much done just still testing small stuff here and there before I zip it up and put it out. This next update is gonna be a different look from your last video so I may request a updated 2.0 type of video if you don’t mind lol.

2 Likes

I’d be more than happy to put something together for you. Send me a message when you’re new release is ready. Looking forward to it

2 Likes

New Version Release (02-10-2024)

Changes Made

• Uses guest.r shader version 2024-02-10-r2

• Tweaked a few settings in grade: changed crt brightness to 40.00, crt contrast to 30.00, saturation to 0.07, hue vs sat green to 0.05, hue vs sat blue to -0.40 (blues were overly saturated had to decrease it some).

• Tweaked a few settings in the guest shader: defaulted the interlacing scanline effect setting, changed magic glow distribution to 1.25, horizontal/vertical glow sigma both to 0.35 (this helps “smooth” the image out a bit further), gamma correct to 1.30 (helps bring out the crt mask a bit more), changed both “bright boost pixels” to 0.70 (Shadow Mask presets only), changed base mask to 0.07.

• Changed a few guest ntsc settings: defaulted both ntsc brightness and ntsc filtering gamma correction settings, increased fsharpen - sharpen strength to 1.50.

• Swapped out the “megadrive rainbow” rf and composite presets that used the “mame ntsc” shader for a newer implementation that just uses the guest shader to give the megadrive rainbow effect.

Download this new pack in the first post

Couple of screenies:

Wanted to change things up a bit once again. Main difference you’ll all notice right away is the image is a bit smoother than usual, I’ve grown to like this new look and I hope you all like it as well.

8 Likes

I’m pretty new to using shaders/presets outside of RetroArch itself but yours has been great for the Genesis emulator even though it got a little confusing which one to pick from the 63. I however saw you did a ScaleFX with your preset combined. Did you remove that one from the pack or am I just looking over it. And can I ask which is the preferred option for the SNES? Like I said, Genesis looks great but SNES was a little overexposed but maybe I did a setting wrong myself, still figuring It all our lol.

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the forum. Out of the 63 I’d say choose from the first 7, those are pretty much the “standards” in the pack the US ones.

Yeah I use to have a pack that included scalefx presets but I ended up removing them, maybe I’ll add them back in again in the future.

I’d say go for the composite presets or try the rgb ones as I believe the actual real hardware allowed for rgb connection.

What do you mean by overexposed?

Nice i’ll try them out soon

1 Like

@Dogway i have this problem for sometime it looks like this

but after changing this setting it is “fixed” do you know why?

2 Likes

One of the largest mysteries since I started this thread has finally been “solved”, to think all because of one setting. I too am curious why that contrast settings gives you a black screen until you default it.

1 Like