New sonkun crt guest advanced hd presets thread

Thank you I appreciate it. I tried my best to squeeze out as much sharpness as I could for composite without breaking blended dithering or breaking details in pixels. Plus thanks to @Hari-82 feedback on the last sample pack I adjusted brightness a bit. Hari I hope this is better for you lol.

Standard composite:

Megadrive rainbows enabled: (meant to include these in the pack but was getting late and I was tired)

Maybe this is the look I should go for on the full release? Let’s see what you guys think.

4 Likes

Sonkun, idk why but the brightness looks off when I use your sample presets. Am I doing something wrong? Because what you have shown looks way better than what I see in real time.

2 Likes

Post up a screenshot let’s see how it looks. Two things I should mention and will update in my main post once I release a new full pack is my display mode is RGB 8-bit Rec. 709, my system doesn’t display standard srgb and that my dynamic range is set to “full” "or “Full rgb” as I’ve seen around on pcs. If your set up is like that it should help in seeing the image how I see it, it’s pretty much how I also put together my presets as well.

On my TV I have the color temp set to normal and “dynamic contrast” set to off. There’s not too many settings on my TV since it’s a standard 4k TV. The most important thing is definitely having having full rgb set to on, without it or with it set to “limited” everything will look washed out with the brightness looking weird as well.

2 Likes

Try to update your slang shaders in Retroarch. I accidentally tried it with the old repo version and brightness was way off.

4 Likes

I will try that, Guest. Thank you.

Update: It works perfectly.

4 Likes

Please tell me how to do it correctly so that guest.r shaders work with crt-guest-advanced.

I downloaded this pack:

I read here that these two shaders are interconnected and you need to install them correctly. Are there instructions? https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroArch/comments/184ptd5/new_sonkun_guest_advanced_presets_shaders_pack/?share_id=oLgMy2amtv2rtnppSj7Vo&utm_content=1&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_source=share&utm_term=14

1 Like

Yes my presets directly use both the guest hd and ntsc shaders. You can find easy 3 step instructions on how to install them right in my first post in this thread at the top. If you have any trouble just let me know.

Just to let you know that pack, even though it’s the only current pack available at the moment is outdated, I haven’t replaced it yet because I’m working on a new look. You can try out a sample pack of what I’m working on at the moment by scrolling a few posts above. For that sample pack you can simply just update your slang shaders within RetroArch and then follow the instructions in that post.

I’m also about to release another sample pack maybe tonight so be on the look out for that as well. I’m currently in my experimental phase.

3 Likes

Thanks for the answer. Yes, I saw this new pack:

I’ll try to find instructions. By the way, are your presets suitable for Snes games or only for Mega Drive?

2 Likes

Yeah that’s the post. And these are the instructions:

The composite presets are for pretty much all the mainline systems from Atari all the way up to Dreamcast/PS2. The “Megadrive Rainbow” preset is specifically for that system though for that special composite “rainbow” effect.

Also meant to say the pack on my main page specifically uses a older guest.r shader pack as well as that’s what was available at that time, I’m not sure if his current shader pack through the RetroArch updater will have any different effects on my main release pack.

3 Likes

I didn’t have a guest folder in the “shaders” folder, I just moved it from the downloaded archive.

1 Like

Ah ok. If you’re just using my latest samples from a few posts above then yeah all you need is to move my presets into the shaders folder, update your shaders through RetroArch then they should load up just fine for you.

1 Like

Please tell me if I use a 4k preset and I have a 1080p TV (Sony 40" W905A), will the picture be better?

1 Like

Why would you do that lol? Just use the 1080p one. 4k will not look the way it’s intended to look on 1080p.

2 Likes

OK. I tried 1080p-guest-advanced-hd-slot-mask-rgb-sample-07-20-2024, but the picture in motion seems to shake a little and the background too, for example, some kind of grayness appears on a dark background.

1 Like

For example, when I select a preset from the folder C:\RetroArch-Win64\shaders\shaders_slang\crt-guest-advanced-2024-05-18-release1 Then there are no problems… I wonder if I posted this guest release correctly?

1 Like

Oh you downloaded his latest pack. You didn’t place them correctly but you can just delete it anyway, that release is now included in RetroArch.

What game did you try? If it’s a 480i game then the screen shaking is probably from the interlacing effect taking place. For the other issue I’d have to see a image of what you’re talking about. It’s possible that a setting may be cause the gray on dark.

1 Like

I try Snes game , Michael Jordan - Chaos in the Windy City. And I also wanted to say, I tried this method, using two filters XBR Lvl 3 & Guest Advanced Hd. The only shaking started when using an item such as CRT Mask in the shader parameters. This is what causes the shaking in this game. Without changing the CRT Mask value, everything works fine, the background does not shake and all that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edcP8BY6zIw

What do you think is the best combination of filters? I’m just curious . And also, I liked Overlay, which are used in a 1.4 gb package called: Duimon-Mega-Bezel-Potato Are there separate such clear Overlays?

1 Like

When I use your shaders, games like Tapper are shaking pretty badly, and im using the 1440 filter.

3 Likes

Ah it’s possibly due to the mixing of the two shaders, or it could be something else. To me the best “smoothing” shader is scalefx.

I use the Bezel Project overlays.

Out of curiosity is this happening with my current sample pack from a few posts above?

2 Likes

How is your latest work coming along, Sonkun?

2 Likes