Objective image quality when using shaders

@Nesguy I’m not going to lie the screen you just posted the clouds are off-white (looks close to Darius’s shot tbh, for the cloud color.)

They are different greys from each other though. (Way different now that I full screen it, but yeah neither of yours or Darius’s shot is proper white, imo. Both are off-white.)

Well yes but your photo has a clear green or blue tint on the clouds, it’s not clear gray anymore. Mine i guess it’s not clear gray because the scanlines are too thick, if you look the crt-mathias is more white because the scanlines are subtle

1 Like

Yeah that’s why it has more perceived “depth” it’s optical illusions.

@Syh, I’m not seeing that at all. Looks pure white to me.

My monitor is set to a 7900K-ish color temp, that’s probably the issue.

In any case, we’re primarily concerned with making all the detail visible.

And, yeah, if you don’t view the image full size it’s never going to look right, lol :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m viewing if from my tablet, 🤷.

But it’s definitely off-white on my screen. And I’d assume my tablet is set to 7900k from the factory.

It’s way less off-white then Darius’s second shot, but off white nonetheless.

Could also be something resulting from the Lottes mask (this is what I was asking you about a few days ago)

Could you fire up Fudoh’s and check out the white screen using the settings I just posted? I always suspected a green tint with Lottes.

Here’s the same thing but with scanline dark/light at 1.35/0.65 and white-red at 1.10, which might be overkilling it, IDK.

I’m also using the NTSC-J color gamut which emphasizes the greens/blues a bit more.

1 Like

I’m getting a blue-green vibe from it, tbh. Green is present but it looks more in the blue spectrum on my end, 🤷.

EDIT: NVM, looks more green, I’m trying to multitask to much.

Here’s the downscaled image which gives a better idea of what’s going on. The bias is actually more on the blue end, but all of this is completely consistent with the gamut and other stuff that grade is doing to the image AFAIK. Showing the whitest part of the cloud with the color picker.

1 Like

Impossible to be full white since you introduce scanlines that darken the image. Except if you skyrocket the gamma and lose all details in white to gray ramps

1 Like

So I was right?

Look at you making me second guess myself and choose wrong, are you a school test :joy::joy::joy:

Here’s the image without grade.

A blue bias is to be expected when using grade, I guess. There’s also definitely more depth without it (as @rafan observed)

The question is - is this more accurate to how a CRT looked? @DariusG mentioned that there was less depth when viewing the image on a CRT(!)

1 Like

Now is a normal gray ramp. Guess the shader you were using affected the mask.

Just a guess, if we were using a BVM with thick scanlines everywhere cutting like knifes, it wouldn’t look white too.

1 Like

I think we’re all using dogway’s grade shader, which has a lot of stuff that is meant to make the image more accurate to how a CRT looked.

Even though the depth and color bias are affected, this is more accurate to how CRTs worked (or that’s the idea anyway). As you yourself observed, there was less depth on the Trinitron than on your computer monitor (If I understood you correctly).

I don’t use it, can’t load on vulkan on my card for some reason.

Are you using a preset when trying to load it that includes the LUT textures?

As this is a common problem when people use it for the first time.

I’m not sure if the Lottes mask or grade is the culprit, I think both might be adding a blue-ish bias.

This whole thing might come down to objective quality vs accuracy. Less depth in the clouds may indeed be more accurate to how it would look on a CRT. @DariusG’s tests with a wii+Trinitron seem to confirm this.

Of the two images I recently posted, the first one (using grade) seems more accurate. Here’s the image sans shaders:

Here it is with grade and my most recent settings.

Here it is without grade - looks very exaggerated.

I think I may actually need to dial back the depth a bit, so 1.30 and 0.70 for scanline dark/bright is probably better. Re-posting my very first Outrun shot using 1.30/0.70:

Here’s the same thing with some red push added just for kicks:

2 Likes

The red push looks the nicest, imo. Looks closer to white, tbh.

1 Like

I agree, and it also improves saturation across the board, IMO. I think many CRTs (particularly Sony CRTs) had some intentional red push for the same reasons.

It’s also worth noting that I’m using 6505K in all of these shots.

1 Like

With shaders my goal is to achieve in organic quality while trying to keep a bright image with nice saturation and dynamic range. I will often push the maskDark value higher as I don’t might it losing detail in the brights. This often causes CRTmask type 3 to look too mechanical in bright areas.

I also wanted to share one of my personal test which is Street Fighter Alpha 3. (Arcade or Saturn import.) It is very hard to retain the detail in the background clouds and Bison’s shading on his red costume. So many of my shaders have flattened both to nothing. The first screenshot is with no shader and the second venom, and the third venom with guest targeted at over saturation.

After looking at these I hate them already. If you can, use the saturation value in venom and go all the way down and watch which colors, like the reds, stay saturated until almost value 0.