Please show off what crt shaders can do!

OK. The preset appears to be called “computer-monitor”, and in my mind that immediately translates to PC monitors.

1 Like

That’s understandable but I was a Commodore man before I became a PC guy and the Commodore 1702 Monitor hooked up to a VCR was my TV for almost all of my youth. My fondest console gaming memories were experienced on its glorious, clean, sharp and vivid slot mask display!

Old school games seem to look decent with the 1080p Optimized version as well, especially if you don’t try to stick your nose into the screen but instead view it from a few feet across the room as one might be inclined to do if playing on a 40" TV. Which is how my systems are setup.

From close-up Lottes Mask 3 (or is it 2?) looks very nice from a coarseness perspective, however I have yet been able to get it working properly as I get alternating dark and light scanlines no matter what I try. I’ve tried default scanline settings, Integer Scale, Non-Integer Scale, same thing, so it’s unusable for me at the moment.

1 Like

I’ve been using the lottes mask too in the past. When guest.r added the “mask shift/stagger” option, mask 6 with stagger 1 became the better option. For a scanline-doubled VGA monitor look, I mean. It’s too fine for emulating an old-school Commodore monitor.

1 Like

Will try that one again sometime, probably when I’m ready to start emulating DOS Games.

Those Computer Monitor Presets were created before the Mask Offset was added and at the time I wanted all of my presets to have visible RGB “phosphor” triads when viewed from up close to the screen.

I like they way they look when I use them in the way that I use them (including the 1080p Optimized version that you spoke about), which is from a few feet away from a 40" screen, even with the mask being as coarse as it is when viewed up close or zoomed in.

Some more ReShade VHS screenshots :

Raw (for comparison) :

5 Likes

It’s not like one has to limit it to the standard shadow mask (dotmask/trio) either, aperture grille is after all a thing for VGA monitors and so is slot mask (“Cromaclear”).

3 Likes

Here we go another guest shader update another shader pack update. I switched up the Slot Mask this time around and did a little tweak here and there. @guest.r I ended up sticking with the negative value Bloom Strength setting over the new Mask Bloom setting that you just incorporated, for some reason I like the overall look the negative value bloom gives off more:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/72ng8xirsxenobd/crt-guest-advanced-ntsc-slotmask_presets_07-13-2022.zip/file

You must have guest’s latest shader update for my presets to display properly which you can find
here.

Edit: As of 7/13 I updated the pack so if you downloaded it before then please grab it again, had to fix a few things.

10 Likes

Here’s the latest iteration of my NTSC preset aiming for accuracy. Also made some small tweaks to my RGB preset.

@HyperspaceMadness these can replace the existing presets whenever you do the next update. Thanks!

Sonic The Hedgehog (USA, Europe)-220706-143639

8 Likes

Hey everyone quick update, I went and retweaked my last shader pack, main thing that I tweaked was the sharpness, I managed to get a nice sharp image with guest’s new sharpness settings but I made it too sharp, here’s an example of how it looks from the previous pack:

Notice the inner top of Mario’s hat and the saw-tooth jagginess in the red area, after retweaking the sharpness it now looks more smooth like this:

So you still get a nice sharp image but with the pixels smoothed out how it’s suppose to look. You can grab the updated pack back at the same post here.

Edit 2: switched from mask 6 to mask 9 and adjusted the black levels, updated the pack once again and can be grabbed at the same spot.

6 Likes

I discovered this CRT shader called crtnewpixie shader and i really like it! But whenever i use this shader, my blacks appear grey instead of black is there anything that can be done in the slang file? Aside from this,10/10 shader love the scrolling scanlines effect :smiley:

1 Like

You could put an image adjustment shader as an additional pass overtop the crt pass and adjust the black level so that the gray area becomes black.

The image adjustment shader is here: misc\image-adjustment.slang

3 Likes

Thank you it worked! :+1:

2 Likes

Here’s my latest shader pack update. I added in some of that Mask Bloom to shake things up a bit, minor other tweaks here and there:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/t0uqkfhlzuzkf1c/crt-guest-advanced-ntsc-slotmask_presets_09-12-2022.zip/file

You must have guest’s latest shader update for my presets to display properly which you can find here.

10 Likes

CyberLab__Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_for_CyberLab_or_Core_Blargg_S-Video_or_RGB_Filter.slangp + Blargg_NTSC_Genesis_S-Video_CyberLab_Special_Edition.filt

Note: Remember to zoom in or view fullscreen or original size in order for these to look correct because of the mask and scanline settings.

4 Likes

My current preset for 1080p

5 Likes

6 Likes

Always liked your style, good stuff. Did you make use of contrast and black level in those pics?

2 Likes

Just a little comparison between screenshots I posted here 2 years ago as a CRT shader newb vs now.

2D games before (CRT-Geom default settings) :

Now (LUT, NTSC-Adaptive and CRT-Geom) :

3D games before (Old CRT-Guest) :

Now (My ReShade-VHS preset) :

(All images are from the standalone PCSX2 emulator with ReShade shaders.)

5 Likes

Thank you, I achieved this result without modifying contrast or black levels (gamma 2.2),I changed values for teexcoord,texel location for my gpu,clamping pi to 5 digits,tex2DblurNfast to tex2DblurNresize (11 precisely),put everything in gaussian,add missing dxdy_scale for bloom horizontal,add my own formula for “inline float get_min_sigma_to_blur_triad(const float triad_size, const float thresh)” and many others things.

2 Likes

No wonder why your name is Professor, that sounds like an experiment you cooked up in a lab lol. That concoction came out nice

2 Likes