CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

Hi @slikvik55, I’ll try to answer your questions :slight_smile:

Hi, so the path to the collections should be RetroArch/Shaders/Mega_Bezel_Packs

So this is looking for Soqueroeu’s collection which you can find below, when installed they should be located in RetroArch/Shaders/Mega_Bezel_Packs/Soqueroeu-TV-Backgrounds_V2.0

Let me know if you have any other particular Mega Bezel questions

4 Likes

Thanks @HyperspaceMadness. That’s great. Got it working now. Didn’t realize I needed to read all the way through the update posts to get some install info and I see Cyber has clarified the install path too in a past Update section too, so all good!

Spoilt for choice with Mega Bezel presets now. :joy:

4 Likes

Excellent! I didn’t spell it out for you in my previous reply because I really wanted you to take the time and read in order to get the most out of my preset pack.

Over time, I’ve been able to do quite a bit with these shaders, shader presets and video filters in my own setup and that’s basically what I’ve tried to document in the first post.

The presets which require corresponding video filters are all labelled “…for CyberLab (or Core) Blargg…Video filter…” so it’s supposed to be self explanatory and descriptive taking full advantage of long filenames.

There are also recommended shader presets and video filter combinations for the different cores bases on how I have mine setup. I’ll try to update that soon.

Yes, we’re definitely spoilt for choice when it comes to the venerable HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader powered by the amazingly versatile CRT-Guest-Advanced and more!

So feel free to ask more questions now that you have everything up and running!

2 Likes

Hey @Cyber, will you be adding 1440p Console Specific Presets anytime soon. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hmmm…good question, I have no plans to update them soon because I don’t have a 1440p RetroArch setup at this time to properly test them and most of the improvements I’ve been making to my presets recently require me to be able to see exactly how the mask would look after its aligned with the subpixel structure of the particular display.

Then my other recent slot mask presets look completely different at different resolutions so I would definitely need to see how things look natively if doing 1440p optimized versions.

Some of my Console Specific Presets are just shortcuts to other presets so I could probably add those shortly but they’re mostly there for convenience to users, rather than a huge step above my other presets in quality.

I’ve mainly been working on Slot_Mask and OLED TV Optimized presets lately and those work best on 4K displays.

Maybe sometime I’ll set things up on a 1440p display In order to test some presets but I can’t really say when that would be.

See below for a previous response to a similar question.

@DDB you can lookout for at least a preliminary update with some of my Console Specific Presets Optimized for 1440p hopefully sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the feedback and continued interest!

3 Likes

This is what I was trying to tell you about @RetroGames4K.

Some more examples of my Custom Blargg Ntsc Video Filter presets in action:

2 Likes

Ok. Thanks. I will see if I can try it tonight :smiley:

1 Like

This new TCL 4K Mini LED looks very promising and might very well be the ultimate in CRT emulation and retrogaming in general. I wonder who will be the first to test and report their findings?

3 Likes

Excellent!

ProTip: The Blargg NTSC Video Filters alter the width of the image slightly. You can compensate for this by adjusting the HSM Crop percentage.

I use these crop settings as a baseline in my presets developed with Blargg Video Filters in mind.

HSM_CROP_PERCENT_LEFT = "0.500000"
HSM_CROP_PERCENT_RIGHT = "0.300000"

On another note, when using the Blargg NTSC Video Filters you can push sharpness up quite a bit in your shader presets because the Blargg Filter is going to perform its own softening and blending.

1 Like

Hi there! I am currently experimenting a lot with shaders. For the Genesis for example I might use the CyberLab_Genesis_for_CyberLab_or_Core_Blargg_Composite_or_S-Video_Filter shader preset. The colors from this shader however look a bit weird. Like the contrast or the gamma is adjusted too much. I understand that this is for colour adjustement to make the image look more like that of a crt. But what settings do i need to change to get the colors more neutral again and not so extreme like they look now?

From the name of this preset it says, “…for CyberLab or Core Blargg Composite or S-Video Filter”.

Did you load the CyberLab or Core Blargg Composite or S-Video Filter?

Also, did you read the first post or the one 4 posts above your post?

You will probably get more out of these presets if you read at least the first post of this thread.

Do not use preview. Download before playing. Requires 4K display for proper fidelity.

CyberLab Genesis for Blargg + CyberLab Blargg NTSC Composite

CyberLab Genesis for Blargg + CyberLab Blargg NTSC S-Video

Introducing… CyberLab_SNES_Composite_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_for_BSNES_Blur_Emulation.slangp

Right click on the image, click Open in New Tab then press F11 for Fullscreen for 4K users. Zoom in until it looks right for 1440p or 1080p users.

CyberLab__PSX_Composite__ADV.slangp

CyberLab_Turbo_Duo_Composite_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_for_CyberLab_Blargg_Video_Filter.slangp + Blargg_NTSC_Turbo_Duo_SNES_PSX_Composite_CyberLab_Special_Edition.filt

5 Likes

Here are some pictures of some real arcade CRTs. Feel free to use them for reference. Be sure to download and do lots of zooming in! Camera settings used - ISO 100, 1/60, WB6500K.

@guest.r, @MajorPainTheCactus, @HyperspaceMadness, @RetroGames4K, @Nesguy

I think there could be some loss of quality and purity of the phosphors due to the compression used by the camera software. RAW/Lossless pics would be really nice if more of us had access to that.

5 Likes

Right click on the image, click Open in New Tab then press F11 for Fullscreen for 4K users. Zoom in until it looks right for 1440p or 1080p users.

CyberLab_Turbo_Duo_Composite_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_for_CyberLab_Blargg_Video_Filter.slangp + Blargg_NTSC_Turbo_Duo_SNES_PSX_Composite_CyberLab_Special_Edition.filt

CyberLab_NES_Composite_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_for_Core_Blargg_S-Video_Filter.slangp + Core Blargg NTSC S-Video video filter

4 Likes

I can’t seem to enable both these, RA crashes all the time with the bsnes core.

1 Like

I use this combo for Turbo Duo/PC Engine/SuperGrafx.

For BSNES, I use CyberLab_SNES_Composite_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_for_BSNES_Blur_Emulation.slangp with no additional Blargg Video Filter.

BSNES doesn’t seem to support CPU based Video Filters.

Be sure to download my latest release and set Blur Emulation to On in your BSNES Core Options.

You can let me know if you’re still having any issues.

3 Likes

Thanks for the fast reply, that works! :slight_smile: I still find most your presets a bit to harsh (sharp maybe, not sure), any way to make sliightly softer?

1 Like

There are several ways you can accomplish this:

Firstly, only use presets with the words "…for Blargg…" in the name with a corresponding Blargg Video Filter. Likewise if you see "…for Higan…" or "…BSNES Blur Emulation…" in a preset, that means you need to turn on those features in the Core Options of those emulators.

Secondly, use softer presets. For example,

CyberLab__RGB-Smooth__PVM-Edition__ADV.slangp

CyberLab__Slot_Mask_II-Soft__ADV.slangp

CyberLab__Slot_Mask_IV_OLED-Soft__ADV.slangp

CyberLab__Ultimate_Virtual_Slot_Mask_CRT-1P2RTA__ADV.slangp

CyberLab__Ultimate_Virtual_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_CRT-1P2RTA__ADV.slangp

CyberLab__SNES__ADV.slangp

CyberLab__Wii_Slot_Mask__ADV.slangp

CyberLab__Wii_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED__ADV.slangp

CyberLab__Turbo_Duo__ADV.slangp

Alternatively you can also try:

Decreasing the following Shader Parameter values:

[FAST SHARPEN]
Sharpen Strength

[FILTERING OPTIONS]:
Horizontal Sharpness
Subtractive Sharpness

[---TV PROCESS GTU---]:
Signal Resolution Y

…and/or increasing the following:

[BLOOM & HALATION]:
Halation Strength

You can also send me an example screenshot of what preset/core/game you’re trying to use that you find looks too harsh/sharp. Perhaps you may not be using it as I have intended or in concert with the corresponding Blargg Filter. I don’t mind seeing what you’re trying to describe and having a conversation in order to see if we can achieve what you are looking for.

Lastly, you can check out my new Console Specific Presets with “Composite” right after the name of the Console. Be sure to use them with Blargg or Blur if the names indicate that you should.

Ironically, they were all updated today to be slightly less harsh/sharp (or to put it another way to have slightly improved blending of edges and colours).

1 Like

Awesome answer, thanks! CyberLab__RGB-Smooth__PVM-Edition__ADV.slangp: This one looks amazing, I’d say that’s exactly the look I’m after. Smooth yet sharp and almost acts like an upscaler.

If I wanted to use a background like this from Dumion with your shader, how to I do that? I’ve tried messing around with paths and stuff but can’t seem to get to work. Can’t even find the setting to turn of the background?

3 Likes

There are a few different ways to accomplish this since the last couple RetroArch and HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader releases. I won’t get into all of them right now though. I’ll give you the simplest method for now, then update the post to show you some more.

Install Duimon’s graphics.

Make sure you can load the background that you would like to use properly.

Then open the background preset in a text editor and change the reference line at the top of the file to point to the preset of mine you would like to use instead of what Duimon has currently.

If you need help with the correct paths you can let us know but I think Duimon has posted examples of how to do this so I’ll see if I can find them and add them to this post.

I’ve also seen videos on YouTube where people have done this as well so I’ll see if I can find and share them with you.

That’s method 1. Method 2 involves leaving the first reference line as it is but adding a second reference line to the other preset you would like to incorporate.

This second reference file needs to be renamed from .slangp to .params though.

It should be fairly simple to do this but I just haven’t gotten around to trying it yet.

Again, you can let me know if you need additional assistance.

See here:

You might also want to take a look at my @Soqueroeu-TV Backgrounds CyberLab Special Edition Presets in the MBZ__3__STANDARD_FULL_REFLECTIONS folder. They require @Soqueroeu-TV Backgrounds to be installed though. You can use most of them in conjunction with my Custom Blargg NTSC Video Filter presets or the ones in the Options of various Cores.

1 Like