Presenting the old school analog TV pack...version 2!

Don’t know if these help but I use a modified Jezze shader for MAME but he uses a similiar PNG setup to what you are after. It can be found here on his first post. If you scroll down you’ll see the PNG’s he used.

http://www.aep-emu.de/PNphpBB2-file-viewtopic-t-18991.html

I could be wrong, but from my understanding, i would say it doesnt need to be pixel-accurate. The overlay would only need to be big enough for every screen resolution, that a user could pick, just to avoid the usual blocky artifacts that could happen if a picture need to be scaled too much. Just to avoid misunderstandings here, you still cant use scanlines that are “baked” in the overlay file (in this case the bezel borders), only a shadowmask could be put inside the overlay. The reason I made the borders that big in my example, is the tilt function of the crt-geom shader. So if you tilt the screen, the bezel or borders, would still be present and big enough to see. My example was more intended for MAME usage, including artwork that would surround the monitor bezel.

So we could have something like this:

or this, with cropped artwork:

[QUOTE=Spaceman;28566]Don’t know if these help but I use a modified Jezze shader for MAME but he uses a similiar PNG setup to what you are after. It can be found here on his first post. If you scroll down you’ll see the PNG’s he used.

http://www.aep-emu.de/PNphpBB2-file-viewtopic-t-18991.html[/QUOTE]

I allready talked wth Jezze about this. Since his huge overhaul of HLSL in MAME 0162, with many, many bugfixes in HLSL, we are still staying in close contact. Right now, he is doing more fixes and there will be some news for vector-games, once he has finished his work. Sadly he is confronted with some problems regarding artwork-alignment and different viewing modes ( i.e. cocktail-mode, dual-screen games etc.). He told me, that this stuff we are talking here, with outer glow and so on, could be done by him :slight_smile: . But like i said, some things/improvements need to be done first, before he will look into this :smiley: . Also he liked this idea very much and my intended steps how to do it. The only thing he would do it differently, is my first step. He will try to create a procedural texture for this. I am sadly not skilled enough, to do any of these things here, as i am just beginning to learn shaders and the different ways how to do it (HLSL, GLSL etc.), but i have some ideas that are mostly welcome to him.

[QUOTE=Spaceman;28566]Don’t know if these help but I use a modified Jezze shader for MAME but he uses a similiar PNG setup to what you are after. It can be found here on his first post. If you scroll down you’ll see the PNG’s he used.

http://www.aep-emu.de/PNphpBB2-file-viewtopic-t-18991.html[/QUOTE]

I don’t suppose you could zip all the required files and upload them somewhere ? That link is a good read. Although a few things/details are lost when using a online translator.

u-man, thanks for that.

[QUOTE=John.Merrit;28591]I don’t suppose you could zip all the required files and upload them somewhere ? That link is a good read. Although a few things/details are lost when using a online translator.

u-man, thanks for that.[/QUOTE]

First, this thread is really, really old. All the stuff there, is now allready included in the official MAME and not only that, it is way better and more improved, than the stuff in that thread. Its funny to see this thread, because it was the reason for me, to get in contact with Jezze. No worry about the few things/details that are lost. I am allready doing a guide that will cover all that and even some more stuff. A shader compendium so to say :wink: .

So if you want to check the stuff for yourself, that is mentioned in the link, i recommend to use the current official MAME and this thread with many usefull settings for the start: http://mame32fx.altervista.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=190

Just an FYI, I modified the pack just a bit to set filter settings to “nearest” and fix a few flaws in the scanlines shader, everything should be more sharp now and less blurry if you all want to update yours.

u-man, many thanks. Didn’t realise I was so far behind on MAME, I’m using 1.52. Also didn’t realise it was MameFX. Thanks.

solid, great. Downloading now.

[QUOTE=John.Merrit;28591]I don’t suppose you could zip all the required files and upload them somewhere ? That link is a good read. Although a few things/details are lost when using a online translator.

u-man, thanks for that.[/QUOTE]

This what you were after.

Bare in mind all code is really held in the post.fx file.

Don’t worry I’m still on .55 mame64 and don’t relish upgrading either. I’m not exactly sure what got fixed in HLSL .63 mame and if it’s worth upgrading for.

[QUOTE=Spaceman;28630]http://www47.zippyshare.com/v/95165141/file.html

This what you were after.

Bare in mind all code is really held in the post.fx file.

Don’t worry I’m still on .55 mame64 and don’t relish upgrading either. I’m not exactly sure what got fixed in HLSL .63 mame and if it’s worth upgrading for.[/QUOTE]

tons of fixes… over 30 at all. this post.fx file is nice… but very much outdated. you can still use this of course, but i will never go back there :wink: . we had initially problems, with the MAME devs and planned to release Jezze´s new HLSL for MAMEUIFX, but thankfully we could solve all the problems and the code went into the official build. MAMEUIFX was still the first MAME that supported it, but now everyone can enjoy the new HLSL improvements, the following is from the official MAME 0162 news:

-HLSL shader improvements [Jezze]

• changed shadow mask implementation, shadow count XY now represent the number of pixel the shadow UV sized tiles will take on the screen
  • implemented rotation of the shadow mask texture depending on the default landscape or portrait view of the screen
  • removed prescale and pixel border of the shadow mask texture
  • added option to change the shadow UV offset, to reduce the color bleeding of the shadow mask
  • adjusted presets to work with the changed mask implementation
  • reduced defocus offset
  • improved downsampling for better blurring
  • improved alignment of bloom layers (raster and vector)
  • applied bloom effect to the render output of screenshot and AVI recording
  • changed curvature effect to fit screen size
  • changed scanlines to be not rendered into bloom layers
  • changed shadow mask to be not rendered into bloom layers
  • changed color floor to not light the bloom layers
  • changed shadow mask to not dark the color floor
  • added image vignetting simulation and option
  • added round screen corner simulation and option
  • added screen light reflection simulation and option
  • made usage of unused brightness offset (additive)
  • removed unused pincushion option
  • removed duplicate shadow count Y options
  • removed artwork/adapture.png
  • added artwork/adapture-grill.png
  • added artwork/shadow-mask.png
  • added artwork/slot-mask.png
  • added hlsl/simple.fx
  • removed unused shaders::blit() function
  • added shaders::screen_pass() function, which handles the (raster-)rendering on screen, into screenshot and AVI recording
  • added effect:set_bool() function
  • fixed usage of OrientationSwapXY shader parameter
  • added RotationSwapXY shader parameters to consider the user defined screen rotation
  • added missing RotationSwapXY shader paramter
  • fixed curvature zoom to fit the screen size in any aspect ratio
  • fixed black border on the right and bottom side of the screen, caused by the previously added rounded corners

This shader in RGB scanline setting seems way to over saturated on my display to the point where the scanlines cant even be seen in and light colours. What settings should i be looking at to help with this?

Go into the RGB scanlines folder and find oldtv-rgb.cg and then look for the line

float interference = 1.16;

Start dialing down the number and seeing how you like it, it will tone back some of the bright halo in the center of the screen and give you more darker scanlines that should show up in whiter areas. Personally I prefer my picture a bit more saturated and bright.

So after figuring out a better way to record video off of Retroarch than the built-in FFmpeg core, I decided to record the end cutscene of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood while using the analog TV pack (specifically, a customized version of the S-video preset). I think it turned out fairly well.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCLKUXdAXKw

I made a revision to the pack, should enhance the performance on the composite and RGB-shadowmask set

Fixed the issue with the RGB-scanlines set & scanlines not showing on bright areas with the image being less saturated

A few minor tweaks to the shadowmask set, slightly sharper now

Vintage TV got an overhaul, overall a less warm and cooler picture and more natural

A few other minor tweaks

Link is updated on the 1st page

[QUOTE=solid12345;28797]I made a revision to the pack, should enhance the performance on the composite and RGB-shadowmask set

Fixed the issue with the RGB-scanlines set & scanlines not showing on bright areas with the image being less saturated

A few minor tweaks to the shadowmask set, slightly sharper now

Vintage TV got an overhaul, overall a less warm and cooler picture and more natural

A few other minor tweaks

Link is updated on the 1st page[/QUOTE]

Just tried your latest build and im getting scratchy/stuttering audio for some reason. Also i still cant see scanlines on light colours, just look at the white text…

and even the green text…

what setting do i need to alter in the shader parameters to sort this issue out?

[QUOTE=BlockABoots;28822]Just tried your latest build and im getting scratchy/stuttering audio for some reason. Also i still cant see scanlines on light colours, just look at the white text…

what setting do i need to alter in the shader parameters to sort this issue out?[/QUOTE]

I admit they are still hard to see, I tried to find a happy medium between overly dark scanlines and an ultra bright picture.

CRT’s had a tendency to bloom light areas making scanliners harder to see depending on your brightness settings, here is a good example I saw on a forum, same image, different TV settings

While it’s not my personal preference, if you really want those thick dark scanlines all over, there is two changes to change it

go into RGB - SCANLINES.cgp and change ONE of these two settings, you can try both and see what you like in terms of picture darkness

scanline_weight = “0.200000” change to scanline_weight = “0.100000”

OR

BOOST = “1.140000” start dialing the number down somewhere like 0.60 give or take in that range

Any non MEGA links? I can’t download those.

Thanks

Reposting here:

Someone has tweaked the shader to be less blurry. http://pastebin.com/uTgDa1zq

Nice change, I think i’ll go ahead and implement this into the official vintage TV .cgp soon, that was one i’ve been meaning to make better.

leilei I apologize I haven’t checked up on the thread, I’ve been working on one more addition to the pack i’m calling “component” which should be a nice clean picture but not too overly sharp like the RGB filters, I figured out how to get halation and bloom going by combining crt-easy halation with lottes as lottes-halation was too taxing on the GPU and I don’t think as good as crt-easy. Hopefully this will “complete” the pack for awhile, any future updates will just consist of more slight tweaking.

When I update the pack, hopefully either tonight or this weekend, i’ll throw up some mirror links.

Another repost from Emulation General as requested:

Vaporeon mind linking me to the original forum thread? Would be interested to read it. They are looking nice.

Anyway my eyeballs are bleeding and been tweaking for hours but think i’m come close to cracking the “perfect” trinitron-like CRT look (of course everyones opinion is subjective!)

Need to get some sleep and a bit more time with it but here is a teaser, btw I know the gamma is too dark but that will be fixed :slight_smile:

Death to square pixels!