Reproduce the noise of switching resolution

Let me rephrase just to be sure i understood properly.

• You’d like the bars “height” to be configurable.
  • That new “height” is expressed as a ratio of the void space left by the shake

Now I’ve a question for you: :slight_smile:

To what those bars will be adiacent? (Making another parameter for this seems excessive to me) so let’s choose between:

1. Adjacent to nothing, bars are aligned to the middle of the void space
    they shakes with the content.
  2. Adjacent to the real/physical screen border
    They stay at that fixed position while the content shakes
  3. Adjacent to the core content
    They shakes with the content

I’d say 3 as the probably more accurate reproduction of the real effect?

…and the language barrier is here too, i’ve my problems understanding something obvious to others in communications.

1 Like

yup

Yes, it is. Just like the logo screen shaking, I was looking for something that would shake the screen when it is dark.

1 Like

I thought about it calmly.

This is probably not well understood even by those who can speak native Language. I don’t think this kind of noise would be well conveyed even in a conversation between Japanese people. lol :pray:

1 Like

When there is a workflow and language makes communication difficult, it is advisable to be as direct as possible. This may seem impolite, but if there is established communication, it is understood that there is a lot of respect.

I am testing with 240p Test Suite from Sega Genesis. Scroll Test allows you to switch between 320x224 and 256x224.
When I switch between these two resolutions, resswitch is activated.
If I select 320, and change the scroll to vertical (with the B button), nothing happens.
If I select 256 and change the scroll, the effect is activated.

240p Test Suite vídeo.

The sensation produced by this effect is very pleasant.
@kokoko3k How far can a shader go? Can you include sounds?

If you could play that PCHKOUT! when the resolution changes it would be great.

P.S: I was having a friendly and respectful conversation with a user about CRTSwitch and I got this video with RetroArch, you can appreciate several patterns when it changes.

2 Likes

Ahah, no, no way.

PS: the verticall scroll probably uses same res of the horizontal one.

1 Like

This is the reason for my unclear story.

• @kokoko3k Koko-aio shader discussions and updates I did not want to impede shader development for this main Project.

• In addition, most of the videos on YouTube are CRTs for PVM or Professional, and these CRTs often have power-on noise or hardware-specific noise (SS, etc.), so we judged them to be unhelpful. Basically, it is safe to assume that PVM and Professional CRTs hardly generate noise.

• When I finally found a video of a SONY Flat Trinitron for consumer use, it was mostly “RetroArch”, “Retro compatible”, and “mini consoles”, which I had a hard time finding as reference material and was stuck.

1 Like

With the current shader, there are bars above and below the content like this. It seems to stop working when the video driver is set to DirectX, so the screen always looks like this. So I made some observations.

The reason I said no to the thin line, which I discussed at the beginning, was to clarify this gradation. Like this.

I wanted the lines to remain blocky and clear, not gradient-like, even when enlarged.

Or, Change the direction of the gradient so that it becomes brighter and brighter toward the top… (This just came to me.)

but, I think the movement would probably look unnatural as it is now… Pretend you didn’t hear about this pattern over here.

I thought carefully and carefully wrote what I wanted to talk about in the beginning (with the help of Deepl translation since my English is not good).

What do you think?

2 Likes

Even if I usually tend to use the solutions that gives the higher final quality/gpu resources ratio, I made further changes/additions.

It is still very light, but i think we are done here, apart maybe for some minor tweaks! :slight_smile:

Screenshot_20240110_180158

• Tilt amplitude: the image will rotate around the X axis
  • Wobblying amplitude: the image will have weavy artifacts
  • Bars Size: The bar height can be changed
  • Bars Smoothness: lowering will turn smooth bars into blocks

Using the default parameters with the retroarch image viewer, provided you shuffle between different resolution images, seems like when zapping through channels on an old TV :slight_smile:

-EDIT-

Ah, as per Direct3D, I’ve seen lot of issues even in koko-aio; it is not really well supported by Retroarch.

6 Likes

It’s a shame, the ambient sounds (such as the CD loading) generate a very pleasant retro-nostalgic atmosphere.

These are just suggestions, I have seen that in some cases it works.

I don’t think this is the case of Antonio, he knows how to manage the time he dedicates and I think he sees this as a challenge, something personal, and he rests until he doesn’t achieve it. When this happens, the only thing we can do is to keep up with him?

Captura de pantalla de 2024-01-10 19-13-54

If you don’t get references, comment it here to search, 4 hands are better than two.

2 Likes

Yeah! I wish there were a sound plugin that allowed to just play background sounds; there are many reproducing Arcade rooms ambient sounds on YT.

I know you can just leave them playing with the browser, but it would be nicer to have it integrated.

1 Like

This time it is perfect for me!
Thank you for making this noise shader.

I don’t have one more complaint. :smile:

4 Likes

I understand that the noise in the middle of the PS logo appearing is a subtle change in resolution at the moment the PS logo fades in if it is not de-interlaced.

1 Like

@kokoko3k I didn’t realize you made this feature a separate shader that’s now in the crt folder, I thought that would be exclusive only to your shaders. I just prepended “crt-resswitch-glitch-koko” shader right on top of one my presets then loaded up a ps1 game and now see all the resolution switching magic, amazing. I’m tempted to put together a quick update pack with that shader in the mix lol. Thank you for this nice shader feature.

3 Likes

Yeah you can prepend it and it will just work.

But with very little efforts one can almost do a copy/paste into an existing pass to avoid unnecessary overhead too.

Not a suggestion, just a possibility.

2 Likes

thanks kokoko3k, seems it work even with 4x of the ps1 resolution

edit: also thanks Ranmori for remind us of this

3 Likes

I’m not sure if there is a demand for “noise characteristics by specific model OR manufacturer”,

I was hesitant to share this because there are so many parameters available. Because I only use about half of the parameters I used.

But I decided to share how it looks on the SONY/aiwa Trinitron for Flat Type. It will look like this. It is important to note that this aiwa Trinitron was a subsidiary of SONY back in the day.

In the case of SONY Trinitron, the white lines appear brighter, and in fact, using this as a shader would be distracting, so we adopted the aiwa Trinitron model to reproduce this.

Effect does not work on d3d11 because (checked) it is unable to access old frame sizes.

Now, since workarounding the issue requires the shader to be almost completely changed, the bug is not in the shader and since d3d12 seem to work, I just made a sanity check for d3d11 symptoms and disable the whole effect.
“no d3d11” has also been added to the first shader parameter.
The change will be published via online updater.

@sonkun @JosepMC

5 Likes

You have to be careful using extremely poor CRT footage in any format as a reference for finding examples of CRT behaviour and phenomenon unless you’re trying to recreate the “badness” caused by the recording medium as well or instead of what the CRT was actually doing or how it looked.

It might be better to isolate the CRT itself from any possible skewing of the data caused by poor recording practice or the nuances of the medium.

What I see here is an attempt to (mistakenly) emulate the lack of synchronization between the video creator’s camera shutter and the CRT’s electron beam.

I’m not too convinced that the desired artifacts are coming from the CRT itself, at least in those examples.

I disagree with this statement, at least from my experience and memories of CRTs. I don’t remember resolution switching being so jarring at all. Never saw hum bars during that process either. Maybe I’m just really old and can’t remember things well enough.

This statement hints to me that there might be some doubt as to the accuracy and authenticity of the said effect but you just don’t seem to mind.

2 Likes

Seems contradictory, but this is because there were CRT that only generated this noise when there was a big switch in resolution, I remember Panasonic was the one.

Also, at that stage, the shaders are not as complete as they are now and change is only good when the resolution changes significantly? And I just thought so. But with the addition of the percent increment parameter, it has been resolved.

And I believe this noise is a matter of personal preference when reproducing CRT. I preferred it. I think of it as equivalent to some people liking NTSC shaders and some not liking them.

1 Like

I’m not familiar with the d3d11 driver but I assume with the latest update Xbox series s users can get the proper effect switching to d3d12 instead.

1 Like