Retroarch 1.16.0 -Radeon RX560 Vulkan Video Driver = stuttering

Hi, After the new retroarch update I was able to test different cores on two different systems. The first with Nvidia GPU, the second with AMD Radeon RX560 GPU. Windows 11 operating system on both PCs. With Nvidia I didn’t detect any problems while with AMD Radeon RX560 almost all the cores suffer from Stuttering when I configure them with VULKAN Video Driver, as soon as I change to GL CORE I don’t encounter any problems. I wanted to use VULKAN because there is better BOOT performance than Retroarch with Mega Bezel shaders. Has anyone among you had the same problem? Solutions?

I had a similar issue, major stuttering as well as render issues, but mine ended up stemming from a recent AMD driver update. Rolling back to the previous driver version seems to have fixed my issue. Have you had a recent GPU driver update?

For reference, the PC I saw this issue on has an RX5700XT, and my other computer has an RTX 2080, similar to you, no issues on the Nvidia PC.

Yes, I constantly update the operating system and drivers, as well as Retroarch, shaders, cores (except the MAME core). I’d rather report the problem and fix it than use old driver versions to make something work

For sure. I’m just trying to help identify the issue. If rolling back the new driver (temporarily, if you’re uncomfortable leaving it rolled back) fixes the issue, then we know that the issue stems from the driver itself, and not necessarily RetroArch.

3 Likes

win11.drivers 23.9.3 radeon rx550 , all run fine in vulkan driver :hugs:

1 Like

The thing is. . . this may not be a Retroarch problem, but a driver issue.

Every other driver update it seems there is either a Vulkan issue or an OpenGL issue. Sometimes it is an Nvidia problem, sometimes an AMD problem.

From a Graphics Dev perspective, my team and I had to wait almost a year for Nvidia to fix an OpenGL issue that interfered in the performance of Adobe Illustrator.

Every driver update we would install, test, and revert, until finally it was fixed.

From an emulation perspective, Nvidia 537.34 drivers completely broke my frame rate in Snes9x and other software rendered cores. (Unless I reduced my desktop resolution significantly.)

In this case it may have been the HDMI Audio driver, you just never know. :man_shrugging:

The latest 537.42 driver seems to have fixed everything.

So yes, report the issue, but be prepared to revert your driver until AMD fixes things on their end. If it is indeed a driver issue.

1 Like

Yet I have never had any problems with Nvidia, unlike with AMD you have to check everything all over again with every update. I will try to report the problem in the AMD forum, but it will not be easy to be understood since people use GPUs for new games and not for emulation. In the meantime, let’s leave this thread open, maybe someone will come up with a simple solution

Strangely, the new drivers were not reported to me on Adrenalin, I will try to do a manual installation. NEW driver 23.9.3 Changelog

• Performance Metrics Overlay may report N/A for FPS on various games.
  • Audio may intermittently become out of sync with video when recording from AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition with AV1 codec.
  • The display may intermittently freeze after changing the encoding format while streaming select games using AMD Link. Users experiencing this issue are suggested to select the desired encode format before streaming as a temporary workaround.
  • Intermittent driver crashes while playing Counter Strike 2 on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 7900 XTX. Users experiencing this can try disabling MSAA and FSR as a temporary workaround.

updatae I tried a standalone installation without the Adrenalin update, but when I started this setup I got an error.

1 Like

I noticed there was a new driver update pushed yesterday. Haven’t turned on my RA machine yet, but let me know if the new driver update fixes the issue!

I didn’t find any driver updates today, I’ll check again tomorrow

That’s my bad, it looks like I misread the page, a new version of the auto-detect tool was released, not a new driver version.

Edit: Or, rather, it looks like, for some reason, they’ve unpublished the update? The release notes page for the update I originally saw seems to still exist, but the 23.9.3 version is still showing up as the newest version.

At least there is no new driver available for the RX 560

Updating to add that the recent 23.10.2 update (which does not appear to cover the RX 560, and a quick google search shows that they may be phasing out driver updates for that card/architecture) seems to continue the issues. To date, the latest AMD driver I’ve been able to make work is version 23.5.2

New Driver 23.11.1 https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-23-11-1-polaris-vega

Fixed Issues

• Intermittent corruption may be briefly observed while playing Counter Strike 2 with Vulkan API on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 580.
  • Unable to select summary table in ACCA Software Edificius Architectural Design on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ VII.

Known Issues

• Performance Metrics Overlay may report N/A for FPS on various games.
  • System crash or AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition may fail to respond when changing Tuning Present on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX Vega 64.

Important Notes

• Factory Reset has been temporarily disabled as a precautionary measure while we address isolated installation issues that have been reported during PC upgrades. Users may use AMD Cleanup Utility as a temporary option.
  • For users who previously installed an AMD Software insider preview driver, running AMD Cleanup Utility is recommended before installing this driver.
1 Like

I don’t think the problem is due to the AMD drivers, also because the problem also exists with NVIDIA, we should analyze the issue better and understand where this problem is created

See this old thread https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/9668

That old bug report has been closed because the culprit was outside retroarch and specific to windows+nvidia+some other software, but definitely not retroarch.

Just saying that the issues are likely not related.

Yes, but the problem remained with AMD, and having updated both retroarch and the AMD drivers, I can’t understand if the problem comes from AMD or retroarch. With old AMD driver versions and old retroarch everything worked fine

Why don’t you install old rettoarch just to check?

1 Like

Great idea, I downloaded retroarch 1.13 from Buildbot same core and same roms as mame that I used on 1.17, with version 1.13 I HAVE NO STUTTERING PROBLEM, so the problem is not AMD drivers, but retroarch 1,17.

WORK PERFECT https://streamable.com/wjjgjl

1 Like

Great, indeed.

Please then, double check again ensuring you are using the same configuration and if confirmed, open a bug report to the github project page to let the devs know about the issue.

Ps: are you from Naples? I think I can understand some slang words in the video you posted :laughing:

Yes, I checked correctly, the problem is retroarch. I’ll open a report now, thanks! Yes, I’m from Naples :wink:

1 Like