RetroArch Playlist Buddy - Playlist and thumbnail generation app

Need help with an thumbnail issue getting playlist correctly and was getting thumbs at first now for some reson everything is set right and my new thumbnail folders are coming out empty

i’ve feel despair from there’s no MAME 2016.rdb for playlist. but finally i can reach the make the playlist for mame 2016 now…

Thx for maintenance this tools for us markwkidd.

my ones are much compatibility wide set for 0.175 not the proper 0.174 so… if someone got proper rom set for 0.174, contribute some for libretro-database please.

One update on the “Not Working” filter bug – SAM does correctly filter out romsets if they are marked Unplayable in the catver.ini but it must not be correctly parsing the “Not Working” tags in the DAT file. In other words there is at least partial functionality.

I love this tool, useful but the GUI can be pretty confusing, for example I’m creating playlists for my Vita and it’s really hard to figure out what it means by what paths etc.

Aside from that my main issue is that the playlists don’t seem to get associated with a certain system, whereas within retroarch if I generate a mega drive playlist it will put a little megadrive controller icon on top of the playlist whereas these generated ones just have a blank icon. What gives?

The playlist icons are purely determined by the filename you give your playlist. The filename needs to exactly match the name of retroarch’s icon set for that particular system.

If you name that playlist Sega - Mega Drive - Genesis.lpl you should get a proper icon.

1 Like

Is there a way to change retroarch’s playlist iconset / what name it uses? because I’ve got an external SD card setup with everything all my roms / saves / and anything I can point the retroarch main config to so I can swap it between my RPi and my hacked PS Vita and still play games. retropie uses ‘snes’ ‘megadrive’ etc, for some reason the thumbnails work for ‘snes’ but not the others

the first system I scroll to in the XMB menu of RA on the Vita shows thumbnails fine -for every game - doesn’t matter if it’s snes or gamegear, but then when I switch to the next playlist/system, they don’t work at all. there is nothing in the playlist files that can figure this out other than ‘first comes works’

Honestly you will probably get more help with these issues outside of the Playlist Buddy thread. However I will say that it is possible to have playlist icons in addition to the default ones included with RetroArch.

For example, if you look in the RetroSystem theme folder you can see how you need to name your 2 PNG files (one for the overall playlist icon, one for the icon next to individual games in the playlist). https://github.com/libretro/retroarch-assets/tree/master/xmb/retrosystem/png

If you created a playlist called Fun Games and you wanted to add icons to RetroSystem, you would add Fun Games.png and Fun Games-content.png to that folder.

Since 1.12, when scanning MAME and FBA Games, I miss a lot of games that I have when scanning with 1.1 (Guwange for example…)

with 1.1 > 1952 games

with 1.13 > 1795 games

EDIT: Solved with 1.2

2 Likes

I haven’t gotten to play with this yet, but, this is a really useful tool. Is there any possibility of rolling its functionality into RA as a feature rather than a standalone utility? I don’t think it’s necessary, but I think it would be a useful feature for just about everyone. Being able to genreize the playlists within RA would be great, especially if we could switch through ‘views’ where RA can have a set of generated sub-playlists we could rotate through rather than have static list organization/entries

(I got to this thread by trying to figure out what the ‘hidden’ playlists do)

Either way, thank you for building and maintaining this utility!

Side note: I know it doesn’t contain one, but, Firefox flags the ‘buddy’ app download as containing a virus. My client-side scanning tools see nothing, but other users might see the flag and be wary

Hey there. i think i got this going and am using the experimental thumbnails… i got 2 libraries done correctly. my nes and super nes, they load properly in retroarch, and show thumbnails. now im trying to do sega and gameboy in the same fashion. only problem? all the png files its making is 1 kb and not a valid picture. all the links look correct in the playlist file.

is there a problem on my end? i made two playlists successfully. the ones i made for sega and gameboy load properly in retroarch, and have lag like the picture should display, but looking at the png files its generated, they are bunk.

thanks in advance.

I have a few folders full of Mame 3d thumbs…but they are named in short (file names)is there a way i can bulk rename them to work with Retroarch? I would like to show the full name of rom in menu not the file name…

When you get to the second screen, select MAME style source thumbnails and it will look for the traditional romset filenames

Thanks for your reply

I don’t have that option tough

Look for it in the second screenshot at this post: RetroArch Playlist Buddy - Playlist and thumbnail generation app

I didn’t state the name of the option quite correctly, it’s called Standard MAME image repository (flyers, snap, titles)

Ok I understand what you mean…but the libretro thumbnails are already renamed accordingly as per metadata…the problem is that my 3d thumbnails are named like sf2hf.png and I would like to rename them to full name for retroarch,is that possible?

OK tryed that…it doesn’t pull my thumbnails if SEARCH XML DAT specified below is ticked pointing to my .dat file It does pull the thumbnails if that option is unticked but obviously with shortened names even in the playlist…so retroarch will show shorthened names as no metadata is scraped from my .dat What I need is something to scrape from my local thumbs and rename them at the same time… Might be asking too much :slight_smile:

When set that way, this tool does rename the thumbnail from Mame filenames to RetroArch style by looking them up in the XML DAT.

I’m having trouble understanding exactly how you are configuring it, could you post a screenshot of the settings your are using?

I m setting it this way: Base rom path is where I have a folder with roms and subfolder

called MAME Local destination path…I created a folder for scraped data Arcade mode ticked and link to the data file i m using

thumbnail settings use local thumbnail ticked and link to a folder with my thumbnails where I have a subfolder called MAME