RetroGames4K's Mega Bezel screen pics, gameplays & custom settings

This is possible to implement, but produces very nasty artifacts due to discrete nature of modern displays.

2 Likes

Thanks😀. Yes indeed! I’ve touched a lot of settings since last time.

The thing is, if I take curvature a bit down, Mask pattern loses streght and I prefer it this way. Btw I haven’t finished yet tweaking it still working on it and it’s not yet ready, There’s something I want to try first, and see if it improves. I’ll make a screenshot when it’s done.

I understand, but as I said I’m still working on it, so don’t worry. I hope I can make it😅

1 Like

This doesn’t surprise me at all.

Thanks for the quick response @guest.r.

I just got an idea, which is a compromise but it should work perfectly. I’ll wait to see what you come up with though. I think I actually used this method on some of my presets which have slight curvature.

1 Like

The only thing that I know right know to solve this, is to set curvature multiplier to 45, this is the most aligned and balanced curvature setting for me…

or I Set integer scale with curvature at 100% if it looks bad But I’m still working on it but I think I’ve improved a lot, when I find the most balanced setting I will upload it… At the moment I don’t have any other fix or Idea for this issue…

2 Likes

Have you considered adjusting the X and Y Curvature independently? For example if you left the Y at 0 or a very very low number, you could play around with the X and still give the illusion that the screen is curved. You could even use the Bezel Independent Curvature and have the Bezel curving in both axes, with the screen curving in just the horizontal.

Remember this curvature is more about tricking the mind or selling the illusion to the brain that the screen is curved. No matter what we try it wouldn’t be 100% accurate. So once you can get enough to sell the idea and illusion, I think you would have succeeded.

2 Likes

No, I haven’t tried those settings yet. But I will. Thanks

I’ve seen those settings, but haven’t tried it yet. I’m always learning new things :sweat_smile:. I will work next on Snes, if it works well it will be my next update.

1 Like

Sorry, I’m looking for those settings you are mentioning, I thought it was other option, but now I realised nothing has to do with curvature… where is X and Y curvature independent?

1 Like

It’s right there in the Curvature settings. I’m not in front of my PC now but I’ll give it a check and see. I can probably load up a preset on my phone and have a look.

See it’s right there. You can raise or lower the Horizontal/X/Long axis (in 4:3 aspect ratio) independently from the Vertical/Y/Short axis (in 4:3 aspect ratio).

The first 2 say 2D Curvature so not sure if they would also apply if you’re using 3D Curvature but there are also settings which apply to 3D Curvature below which govern the tilt angle and those can be independently adjusted on both axes.

Lastly, there’s the CRT Curvature Scale Multiplier, which governs how curved the Bezel is in relation to the Screen.

1 Like

Ok, it’s that setting. That’s why I couldn’t find it… So Long Axis is Y and short X?

1 Like

It’s that way if you’re playing a 4:3 or 16:9 game horizontally if the game was vertical then long would be the Y axis and short would be the X axis. So it’s aptly named.

1 Like

I just updated the Shader pack, I updated Mega Drive, and added Nintendo 64. I hope you enjoy it! :grin:

3 Likes

Your package also includes all the retroarch directory, FYI.

Thanks for the update mate

2 Likes

1 Like

I forgot to mention that in this setting, you don’t need Sega luma fix for the mega drive, I just realized to switch it off, because on, its too bright and loses black detail, I don’t know why. It’s on by default.

1 Like

I don’t know if it was intended or not, but the Mega Drive one i tested doesn’t blend the waterfall of sonic or that of shinobi III, i usually use these games to test new mega drive shaders presets so i noticed those, but might be your intention for more clarity.

1 Like

Things change fast in Mega Bezel land.

1 Like

So yeah it’s on by default on the Megadrive emulators because my understanding is that technically this is correct, and in a default shader scenario, E.G. Default guest advanced it seems to generally look better.

I would think that if the darks are starting to look too bright then I would suggest adjusting the black level in grade.

But let me know how this is working for you as time moves on because the goal is really to make this the best baseline for everyone. :grinning:

2 Likes

Hey, man your presets look really nice! I’ve taken a lot of ideas from them.

IMO, you shouldn’t be bundling any non-shader files with this. Furthermore, unless you’ve made changes to the actual shader files, all you have to do is copy and paste your settings and put them in brackets: Here’s one example:

#reference "shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/CyberLab/MBZ__1__Advance_Full_Reflections/4K/CyberLab__Ultimate_Virtual_Slot_Mask_CRT-1P2RTA__ADV.slangp"
GAMMA_INPUT = "1.800001"
HSM_INT_SCALE_MAX_HEIGHT = "100.000000"
HSM_NON_INTEGER_SCALE = "100.000000"
HSM_TUBE_BLACK_EDGE_THICKNESS = "-15.000000"
HSM_SCREEN_REFLECTION_SCALE = "200.000000"
HSM_BZL_INNER_EDGE_THICKNESS = "540.000000"
HSM_BZL_INNER_EDGE_SHARPNESS = "20.000000"
HSM_REFLECT_FULLSCREEN_GLOW_GAMMA = "1.480000"
HSM_REFLECT_BEZEL_INNER_EDGE_AMOUNT = "100.000000"
HSM_REFLECT_BEZEL_INNER_EDGE_FULLSCREEN_GLOW = "13.000000"
HSM_BG_OPACITY = "0.000000"
shadowMask = "12.000000"
masksize = "1.000000"
mask_layout = "1.000000"
slotwidth = "7.000000"
double_slot = "3.000000"
slotms = "1.000000"
dcscalemode = "2.000000"
3 Likes

Yes is intended, if you want waterfall to blend, you can search for Hyllian SGENPT and set it to number 2. I prefer sharpness over blending, as these settings tend to make them a bit blurry.