RetroGames4K's Mega Bezel screen pics, gameplays & custom settings

Hey @RetroGames4K, I’m not sure if you were going to do this but I’d like to post your last couple of photo comparisons over on r/crtgaming to have some fun with the folks over there if you don’t mind.

1 Like

Sure, no problem. :grin:

1 Like

I made a video gamplay today with my settings…

1 Like

Sounds good. I’ll get the popcorn

You could also use the Megatron, of course

2 Likes

It has begun! Lol You can go and search for the post to see the initial reactions. This is a real baptismal by fire for your shader presets @RetroGames4K!

That’s a good idea, but I’ll leave that up to you. I can only imagine the results if folks can’t even pick out the differences using good old CRT-Guest-Advance and HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader!

It’s funny how many have already started harping on CRT Shaders’ relatively inferior motion clarity and how much easier it is to have a shader look close to a real CRT in a still photo vs a video or in person while “in motion”.

I think this might be as close as you’re gonna get to passing that Pepsi test that you always mentioned in the past @Nesguy.

Again I would say, great job @RetroGames4K!

Perhaps you can work on preserving some other model sets in a similar fashion, including console specific tweaks.

I think that would make for a great and useful legacy.

One of my biggest concerns though is the constant need to have to perform maintenance of the presets just to have them look the same after you finally get things right.

Things just change too fast in CRT shader land to facilitate any kind of true preservation project that doesn’t require constant tracking and keeping up with the changes to the shaders and base presets themselves.

I intend to at least partially address this in the future in my Shader Preset pack by including my own sub base presets which would contain my own defaults and overrides which my regular presets would then reference instead of them being at the mercy of the nature of constant development of the shader provided base presets.

If anything this step should make things relatively more resilient to unwanted changes as well as facilitate easier maintenance by requiring me to make most if not all updates to these base presets instead of tens of different individual presets.

2 Likes

2 Likes

3 Likes

The folks over at r/crtgaming can’t seem to make up their collective minds as to which is the real CRT and which is the imposter…and they’re loving it!

3 Likes

Thank you for this post. This was fun😁

2 Likes

You’re welcome!

Indeed! Looking forward to your continued endeavours in this field.

1 Like

1 Like

2 Likes

1 Like

Greetings @RetroGames4K,

Take a close look at the power bar in your Super Double Dragon screenshot above. Then take a close look at the power bar in my Super Double Dragon screenshot below.

Notice anything?

1 Like

Yes I know. My power bar is a bit off, I’ll see if I can correct it. And I’ll try again. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ll be happy to share my solution for this if you wish as I have previously done so in the Mega Bezel thread when I first noticed it. This is an issue that also affects other SNES games.

Does this also happen on your Sanyo TV or does it look as evenly divided as in my screenshot?

2 Likes

I think it’s just the curvature. Also integer scaling helps. Great preset, BTW.

4 Likes

On my Sanyo TV looks divided like on the screenshot, but it’s true it’s a bit mismatched. Now I’ve corrected it.

2 Likes

It still looks a little uneven to me. What did you try to do to fix it?

In this case, I don’t think it’s the curvature as it affected my presets as well and I think disabling curvature was the first thing I tried and that didn’t resolve it.

What worked was using Integer Scale and increasing the Integer Scale Offset or %.

You can see here:

The curvature is really messing with the vertical alignment of the mask and the artwork though. I’ve noticed this in a number of your screenshots @RetroGames4K.

Look at the white box with Billy’s portrait, the mask is running diagonally across the left and right sides of the box when it should be in perfect alignment with them.

1 Like

The mask pattern was a bit off, so I had to touch deconvergence and scanlines. But if it’s still a bit uneven, is because I realised that I haven’t touched Scanline and Mask gamma yet, and the sides look darker. Tonight I will raise mask gamma. As you can see on the image, the mask is a bit behind the pattern because the mask is darker than the vertical lines, so once I raise the mask gamma and make it brighter, is going to align perfectly. I will post another screenshot tonight when I correct it.

2 Likes