Sony Megatron Colour Video Monitor

@BendBombBoom here are my pictures of the colour bars in the PAL version of the SNES 240p Test Suite. Peak: 700, Paper White: 700, Contrast: -0.3

I’d say in your close up shots there is a lot of noise compared to mine - the camera or display?

Overview

Close ups

OnePlus 8 Pro Camera: Pro Mode, ISO 200, WB 5000K, Aperture Speed 1/60, Auto Focus, 48MPixel JPEG.

2 Likes

@BendBombBoom another thing I’ve noticed on mine whilst playing around is that ‘sharpness’ can have a profound effect on the shader. Try messing around with that on your display.

1 Like

Yeah that’s a good point, sharpness needs to be set so that there is no edge enhancement/interpolation etc, usually that means a setting of either 0 or 50.

1 Like

What TV do you have (manufacturer and model number)?

1 Like

I think it’s a Samsung Qn90a if you know anything about it? Other than that I know it gets really bright I don’t know why it may get be having this odd colouration.

Hi so picking this request up again of support for GRB sub pixel layout. So the strange thing is that I can find no reference to this sub pixel layout, outside of one or two people on forum posts. RTings for example makes no mention of this in its review for your TCL 55R615 I’m just wondering where you saw that your TV has a GRB sub pixel layout? I can’t see anything in the TCL manual for this TV either.

1 Like

Hi there. I didn’t see this specifically yet. I have a Vizio P656-G1, on Windows 10. Nvidia GTX 1050 TI.

The main issue I have is that most of the color is missing. I can see some muted color shades, but it almost looks greyscale. Brightness otherwise seems okay. What setting may be contributing to that issue, to the extent there is one?

1 Like

Good to have you on board! I’m not sure your graphics card supports HDR - does it? Do you have HDR on in Windows and Retroarch? Basically it sounds like you haven’t got HDR on.

The graphics card does support HDR (tested with other HDR material). Also, my TV switches to HDR mode when Retroarch is open - and other shaders work. Retroarch displays the colors correctly. It’s only when I enable the 4K HDR shaders. The brightness looks fine, just the colors are totally off. Now, my TV may not have an RGB layout. Per RTings closeup, it looks like its GRB. Could this have anything to do with it?

pixels-large.jpg (3840×2160) (rtings.com)

1 Like

I just checked my GTX 1050 Ti and can confirm that it does support HDR in the Windows settings, although it only works with DirectX in RA not Vulkan.

2 Likes

I’ve posted the following two screenshots. The 4K HDR color looks more washed out when viewed at full screen size. Obviously this isn’t exactly as it appears on the TV itself, but close enough to show the difference.

Arcade 4K HDR: https://imgur.com/xBfXL9H

Easymode (with HDR enabled) https://imgur.com/e9tQ1QX

1 Like

Ok great stuff - yes that looks totally broken! So let’s strike off some easy things: you’re resolution is 4K? You might have a BGR display - go into the shader parameters and use that option. Set your sharpness on your TV to neutral (either 0 or 50). Set peak luminance in the shader parameters to 1000, paper white luminance to 200 and contrast to 0.0. If that doesn’t work can you get a close up shot of your TV so I can see what the sub pixels are doing. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

Mind if I ask how you got your screenshots? HDR is 100% hardware, a screenshot shouldn’t show a difference. :thinking:

2 Likes

@BendBombBoom has this display been professionally calibrated? It could be that sharpness is not set correctly.

Could this be the “Ultra Viewing Angle” layer? According to rtings.com:

“The Samsung QN90A uses a BGR sub-pixel layout, which can affect how text is rendered when using the TV as a PC monitor. You can read more about that here. The pixels look a bit blurry due to the ‘Ultra Viewing Angle’ layer.”

I’m not sure what else could be causing the issue.

1 Like

Some Plasma TVs used GRB subpixels, but that’s kind of irrelevant here since 1080p is the highest resolution for Plasma TVs.

1 Like

they have some shots of the viewing angle thing, which looks just like a hazy layer on top of the subpixels.

2 Likes

It’s on the photo on RTings. Although it’s for the 55r617, it’s the same as 55r615 except the remote is different.pixels-small

I checked by zooming in with my phone on a pure white screen and the farthest left pixels are green while the pixels on the far right are blue.

1 Like

So I noticed that on RTings but I also noticed they had similar pictures of other TVs that they stated were BGR TVs. Can you look at an image on your TV of alternating white and black vertical lines to confirm?

1 Like

Maybe not that good of a shot but clearly there are green pixels on the side and RTings states its a BGR display

1 Like

Yeah that just made my search all the more confusing. Looking again at the pure white pixels, I can definitely say it’s BGR. The far left and right subpixels had a glow through my camera that I mistook for a reflection on the bezel.

3 Likes