Sony Megatron Colour Video Monitor

Yup absolutely I’ll turn it off when sRGB is the output colour space. There’s quite a bit need to do now I’ve built up a bit of a backlog - I’ve been off doing other stuff like watching the Mandalorian for the first time - I’m a bit behind the times :rofl:

6 Likes

When the phosphor gamut is off what is the default color temperature in this situation?

Basically what will the color temperature be offsetting from?

2 Likes

Difficult question! The assumption is NTSC-J but who knows :thinking:

1 Like

The same as before as far as I understand it - mind you when we remove the gamuts the only difference between PAL, NTSC-U and -J will be the default colour temp. PAL and NTSC-U will be the same which doesn’t feel right. There is a slight difference between PAL and NTSC’s colour spaces as far as I’ve read. Maybe I need another colour system transform before the phosphor gamut transform? I didn’t notice grade.slang doing anything like that though.

Just to be clear PAL and NTSC-U is D65 and NTSC-J is D93

3 Likes

Grade just kills all the color temperature adjustment if you turn off the phosphor gamut which seems like a major shortcoming to me since one of the main things people want to do with color correction is to adjust color temperature.

2 Likes

I’m not sure why it does this tbh. This may very well be a bug.

As far as the default white point in sRGB, it should be 6500K afaik…

3 Likes

False alarm on the SDR colour front - it is correct (apart from the phosphor gamut in sRGB). I was seeing everything with strong red hue. Turned everything off back on again, upgraded RA and reupdated the slang shaders and everything is fixed. I tried to repro the incorrect colours to figure out if it was causing other peoples issues but couldn’t. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Just added a pull request for V3.0 of Sony Megatron although I wouldn’t say this is the full V3.0 I was intending, it certainly lays a few building blocks. I’ll describe more as I add V3.0 features. Anyway @Nesguy this fixes the sRGB issue with phosphor gamut - please let me know if this fixes the issue you were seeing when you get a chance.

2 Likes

Hi @Rafan apologies that this has taken so long but I just looked at the log file and I have:

[INFO] [Vulkan]: Using RGB565 format.
<...>
[INFO] [slang]: Using render target format R8G8B8A8_UNORM for pass output #0.
[INFO] [slang]: Using render target format A2B10G10R10_UNORM_PACK32 for pass output #1.
[INFO] [slang]: Using render target format A2B10G10R10_UNORM_PACK32 for pass output #2

Which is odd as I certainly dont have Vulkan use that format.

So I’ve just had a look in the Vulkan driver why RGB565 and I think we have found a bug! Basically in HDR mode it looks like a load textures are now created using 16bit instead of 32bit potentially leading to banding. I need to fix this!

With repsect to what you are seeing as in R8G8B8A8 then that looks like its not creating a HDR swap chain with a R10G10B10A2 format.

EDIT: Actualy this RGB565 looks as though it has absolutely nothing to do with the swap chain format and is to do with a movie decoding format instead. Not quite sure what driver->pix_fmt is used for.

3 Likes

This is what I’m seeing on my display. It’s extremely washed out and dim. Seems like something is very wrong.

This is with “crt-sony-megatron-sony-pvm-2730-sdr” on a 400 Nit SDR display with the backlight maxed out.

2 Likes

That looks about right to me from the video at least - at least that’s what my PVM’s look like as reference (set to ‘NORM’ settings).

So you can turn down brightness, contrast, saturation and gamma down to zero. This will get you back to more ‘correct’ values but won’t be as bright. See what that does.

The other thing to remember is that my PVMs all have a default white point of 9300K and you may not be use to that - just turn the white point down to zero to get it to 6500.

2 Likes

The camera is correcting the colors and brightness but I can assure you that it’s way outside of spec for any CRT, I’ll get some screenshots up today at some point.

1 Like

Certainly try changing those values and let me know. I have seen that videos can be misleading colour wise compared to what you’re seeing locally so it’s not that I don’t believe you.

What I will say is that video pretty much perfectly matches what I see on my PVMs - certainly if you look at the HUD elements but also Link and the main game area.

See if you can match the above video with what you see locally by changing those four values ( leave white temp alone for the time being)

I’ll try and get a video of my PVMs in action at that point so we can compare and contrast.

2 Likes

Something is very off. These are extremely dim and washed out.

“crt-sony-megatron-sony-pvm-2730-sdr”

default settings

brightness, gamma, contrast set to 0.

Here’s the 1910 preset. I’m not sure what happened here but it looks like 150 TVL or something in addition to being extremely dim and washed out.

Is there just a 360 TVL preset at 1080p? (3 pixel mask)?

Here’s guest-dr-venom at 100% mask strength. Still pretty dim but at least the colors are well-saturated.

2 Likes

Keep in mind the stated TVL assumes you’re outputting at 4K, so whatever value you see, divide it by two and that’s the TVL you’ll actually get for 1080p. So if you want 360 TVL, you have to use the mask labeled 800 TVL.

2 Likes

I just updated my shaders and things are …different, but still way off.

crt-sony-megatron-sony-pvm-20L4-sdr, default settings. @MajorPainTheCactus is this looking as expected?

1 Like

Yeah, something’s off for sure. I don’t recall the shader looking like this in SDR. Here’s the 20L4 preset with default everything:

Switching the color space to DCI-P3 looks better, but washed out:

2 Likes

Righty ho so first of all, that last picture looks like your using the SDR shader with a HDR pipeline - I saw this happen locally and posted that all the colours were broken in SDR in the thread above. I then set my monitor to sRGB, reset a few settings to neutral reinstalled RA and rebooted and everything was fine again. That hue shift to red is the tell tale sign that HDR is on (in some way) and a SDR shader is being used with it - or rather sRGB colour space is being used for the shader but the monitor is using a HDR10 colour space.

With regards to your post with comparison to guest shader I thought I’d just do a side by side comparison with my laptop (Dell XPS 4K 400nits) running the Sony Megatron in SDR with those controls I mentioned set to 0.0 and my Sony PVM 2730QM to show you whats going on my end.

Here are the two side by side comparison videos, lets start with these and see what you think. As always try to play back fullscreen in 4K (I think 4K is still processing so it may take an hour before that version is up).

My opinion is that the colours are certainly different - you can see that in person. However is that just due to the brightness differential? I’m on the fence. However I dont see the colours being ‘washed out’ in anyway - if anything I think the CRT is more washed out vs the laptop. The laptop is certainly much darker but thats to be expected right - its 400nits ish I think (I’ll try and confirm that).

So where does that leave us? The one big difference is resolution and that could well be playing a part here. As you change the size and dynamics of the beam and scanlines you do to change the overall image colours. Think if you set the red beam width to a tenth of the other two you’re going to see a colour shift.

Certainly the difference between the Megatron and the Guest pictures is that the Megatron has deconvergence and more variation between the three different beams (I know Guest can do this as well so it might be worth experimenting).

Also other factors are how the screens are calibrated - is my laptop screen way out in some respect and I’m just tuning to that? I’m not sure.

Do I think there’s a bug there? Not at the moment but as always I could be wrong - we need to do some more work to verify this I think.

1 Like

Yeah everything you’ve posted looks good to me.

I think I need to start with a fresh install of RA and the shaders. There shouldn’t be any HDR stuff going on because I have neither an HDR display nor an HDR graphics card. Then I’ll take a look at adjusting the scanlines (would 1/2 the value be correct going from 4K to 1080p?)

1 Like

I definitely saw this bug locally - I tried reproing it on my other PC and couldn’t and then went back to my laptop updated to the latest version of RA, updated the slang shaders and reset my monitor as best I could for SDR as in putting it into sRGB colour space and putting all the settings to neutral (except brightness) and the red issue went away. I was also seeing the washed out look and this was fixed also by doing the above. I’m not sure what caused it.

1 Like