Sony Megatron Colour Video Monitor

Well given that you need about 2000 Nits for full slotmask emulation and BFI just to result in a constant 100 nits, I’m slightly less optimistic.

1 Like

2000 Nits you say?

Take a look at these:

Bonus content:

1 Like

We’ll see. There’s a difference between sustained maximum brightness and peak brightness, and we can only hope that they don’t do something weird with the subpixels.

2 Likes

How do I increase the scanline width? I’m not talking about the parameters for R,G,B, but the scanline width overall.

2 Likes

There are three beams one for each colour channel and so to change the width of the overall scanline (the part that is lit) you need to change all three parameters which can be found under vertical scanline min and max’s. Min’s are used for darks max’s are used for lights. Does that help?

4 Likes

Hi @MajorPainTheCactus, I wanted to ask you a favor. I wanted to elaborate on your shader, but I use a Full HD 1080p monitor - could you recommend and shoot me a suitable configuration for this resolution? I know it’s not the best, indeed maybe it’s not enough, but I wanted to give it a try since your work is also found on Mega Bezels. A thousand thanks

1 Like

There’s a clear difference between using this shader with RetroArch vs Reshade. With Retroarch, the blacks are inky black on my OLED, whereas with Reshade, the blacks are raised to the point where I can see the scanlines & CRT mask in areas where I shouldn’t. Does anyone have a solution to this?

1 Like

The biggest hurdle is going to be the brightness, as 1080p displays don’t have HDR and HDR is required to overcome the lost brightness from the mask effects. There isn’t anything in the Megatron shader to compensate for this (glow, bloom, etc) it relies purely on the display’s brightness. I’m in the same boat as you. It’s time to upgrade, but all my money is going toward stupid house projects and car repairs at the moment.

You can try the SDR mode in the shader, but I find it doesn’t live up to the luminance of a CRT display.

1 Like

Just load the various sdr presets. The presets have a 1080p setting. Then look at the TVL parameter. You can only make use of the 300 and 600 setting at 1080p. On your monitor, the 300 TVL setting will probably not look very good. Probably better on your phone, which is likely also brighter. But just try and see what you like.

1 Like

Hi Rob this should be simple - just select 1080p in the display resolution under the shader parameters. Have a play around and see if that meets your needs.

1 Like

Ah yes I neef to update the Reshade versiin with the latest changes - its only a few small changes to be honest but I do need to do it. Bear with me and Illtry and update it over the next week or so.

1 Like

After discovering my phone screen (OnePlus 8 Pro) I essentially dont use RetroArch on anything else once I got a Backbone controller (but for those with old consoles lying about you can connect PS and Xbox controllers to your phone nowadays).

Thank you! I’m looking forward to it!

1 Like

@nikorasu Just updated the ReShade version for you! Please let me know if it resolves the issues you are seeing (I think it will)

1 Like

Thanks; it indeed works! You’re amazing; it looks so much better now! By the way, i had created an issue on Github for another issue. https://github.com/MajorPainTheCactus/AutoHDR-ReShade/issues/7

1 Like

Ah yes sorry I havent been looking as Im busy beavering away on other stuff. So although its a bit janky atm with where the shader is located did you get the AutoHDR addon to work?

1 Like

This can be interpreted in so many different ways * laughs in Beavis & Butthead * :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

That doesn’t actually increase the thickness of the horizontal black lines. How do I make the scanlines thicker in Retroarch? My screen resolution is 1440p, yet it doesn’t matter if I choose 1080p, 4K, or 8K for the “Display’s Resolution.” Changing from 300TVL, to 600TVL, 800TVL, and 1000TVL also doesn’t really change the thickness. I have a CRT that I play at 240p using my Raspberry Pi emulation system, and the scanlines are much thicker. I must be doing something wrong, or 1440p just isn’t a usable resolution, as I do see screenshots on this page using the shaders that look better than the results I’m getting.

1 Like

Change both scanline min and max values to zero for all 3 colors (red, blue, green) That will give you thickest/darkest black gaps. Start from there and increase these values based on your preference.

2 Likes

I’m still not getting the results as shown at the very top of this thread. Is it because I’m using 1440p resolution? My monitor is the Dell AW3423DW. The closest I can get to thick scanlines is using the 1000TVL option, yet the aperture grille mask subpixels become less noticeable unless I get inches from the monitor. I want to be able to see thick scanlines, and have sharp subpixel layout, just like the images at the top of the thread.

1 Like