Sony Megatron Colour Video Monitor

Looks like you’re good! I can see the higher brightness in your shots. Id ignore the error as its just saying you are running a 64bit program and reshade failed to load the 32bit addon. So the big question: does it look better?

I think the base Megatron preset is included in all the rest of the presets. Not a problem though - the big question is why does this seemingly unrelated change break hdr on vulkan? When I get the chance Ill take a look and try and fix it as I guess its affecting other shaders in hdr as well.

3 Likes

No problem. Were you able to replicate the issue?

2 Likes

Sadly I haven’t had a chance yet but Ill keep you posted

1 Like

That’s a good question. It has improved visibly since the last time when colors were exceedingly washed out. But it’s not quite there yet and I’m not sure what’s causing it. The colors do not seem right, do not seem natural, do not seem punchy compared for instance to when I would use the CRT Royale shader via Reshade. The AutoHDR addon is enabled, I checked. Mind, I’ve got the Megatron shader params at default level. When I up saturation a bit for instance things do improve, but the general feeling that colors are where they should be isn’t there. It’s like there is a blue-ish tint to the colors or something like that and things still remain a bit on the muted side. My 4K monitor, the Aorus FV43U, is purported to be a HDR 1000 so I’m sure it’s more than capable. I’m not sure how to change the params. When I change them from HDR to SDR, things do improve, but I’d imagine that specific param to be set at ‘1’ which is the HDR setting. Any tips are welcome, I assumed the default setting would be just right.

1 Like

It’s normal to need some configuration. I think adjusting the paperwhite setting is often necessary on each display.

When it was washed out, that is how an HDR image looks on a display that doesn’t support HDR. I’m not saying your display doesn’t support it, but that the shader was probably doing the correct color profiling on its end but something else somewhere wasn’t holding up its end of the bargain.

3 Likes

So yes as @hunterK says once you have HDR working you have to calibrate it - sadly for HDR all displays are different as in they have different capabilities as no display meets the full spec yet. This is relatively trivial though: set your peak brightness in the shader to 1000 ie the max nits of your display (see rtings as a good source of this as manufacturers fib a bit). Then set your paper white value just go up and down until things look right. Id use the 240p test suite (its a rom file for most old consoles) to do this but its not essential.

1 Like

Specifically you want to use the grey gradients in the test suite and adjust the paper white so you can just about see the dark grey and the light greys dont merge into white. You might need to tweak the gamma value to help you achieve this.

1 Like

On another note, this might explain why I haven’t been able to get the same stellar results when using the shader in HDR mode compared to SDR mode especially at higher TVLs.

See here:

1 Like

wut? HDR breaks chroma subsampling?? that seems like a big problem. Is it essentially 4:2:2?

2 Likes

No need to panic, it probably doesn’t happen on most models. Mine is an older 2016 E6P.

They said it also happens on the B6.

It probably affects other TVs which use similar image processing chipsets as well.

2 Likes

Im being thick - so what is this saying? It cant do full colour 4:4:4 or it cant do chroma sub-sampling 4:2:2 etc when using HDR? What does it mean when it says it cant accurately display chroma sub-sampling - what happens?

1 Like

It says it can accept the full 4:4:4 + HDR signal. So if you have a PC or graphics card or other media output device that is set to RGB 4:4:4 Full and in HDR mode, the TV will receive it fine and switch to HDR mode. So it won’t just say “Not Supported” and cease to display an image, however this resultant image being output would not contain all of the RGB 4:4:4 colour information. Somewhere internally, the TV would apply chroma subsampling to the signal before it is displayed.

It’s like those old Plasma or 720p LCDs and some DLP Rear Projection sets that say “supports” 1080p.

They would accept a 1080p signal then downscale (and sometimes stretch) it before outputting it at its native 1024 x 768, 1366 x 768 or 1280 x 720 panel resolution.

2 Likes

Ah right so yes this does sound like it might be the cause. If you have an Android phone you can test it in SDR and get a similar experience to HDR on a TV. Might be a good source for comparison.

1 Like

I tested the shader on my phone via Mega Bezel not too long ago and it looked and worked great.

Can’t I also use my TV in SDR mode for a good source comparison seeing that the chroma subsampling limitation only occurs in HDR mode?

It does in fact support and output proper full native RGB 4:4:4 at 60Hz 4K in SDR mode.

1 Like

Yes good point - I was just thinking you can get comparable or better brightness on your phone in SDR compared to HDR on your tv.

1 Like

Understood. At least now I should be in a much better position to fully enjoy and embrace Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor on my TV. This explains a lot.

The only problem is that we’re truly spoiled for good CRT Shaders and presets at this point so there might be a lot of switching back and forth.

1 Like

Okay, I just ran the RTINGS.com Chroma Subsampling Test on my 2016 LG OLED E6P, you can take a look at the results below. Of course HDR Mode was enabled within Windows and I used HDR Game Mode on the TV. My Input Label has always been PC and HDMI Deep Color has been enabled.

Looks like RTINGS.com needs to update their data.

The only non-standard thing I did with my setup was enable Temporal Dithering using ColorControl.

1 Like

well that all looks fine to me

2 Likes

Boom - looks great :+1: Maybe they fixed it with a firmware update

1 Like