Sony Megatron Colour Video Monitor

Am i missing something about how to use these? The colors look incredibly washed out (and not at all like those shown in the screenshots), whether i use the HDR or SDR presets. I have a HDR capable OLED TV.

2 Likes

So, typically, I would blame that on your HDR pipeline not HDR-ing somewhere (that is, if you run HDR content on a display that’s not capable of it, it looks very washed out), but you say it happens on the SDR presets, as well, which suggests that’s probably not what’s up.

The other common cause is having a bad paperwhite value, which needs to be customized to suit your display, but I think that may only apply to the HDR presets, as well.

Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful, but you might check those things (probably start with the paperwhite parameter(s) first).

2 Likes

It’s possible.

Have you enabled HDR in RetroArch when testing the HDR presets?

Other things to look at are your OS and TV must be in RGB 4:4:4 Full mode.

Make sure you set your input label to PC or this mode may not be available. Use Game Mode or HDR Game Mode for your Picture settings. Make sure HDMI Deep Colour is enabled for your HDMI Input.

2 Likes

Did you get any further with either @hunterk or @cyber suggestions. If HDR is enabled on Windows, RetroArch and the shader then I guess its your paper white and max brightness settings. Make sure to go to Rtings and look up your displays max nits capabilities and then set the max brightness to this value and then play about with the paper white setting afterwards.

4 Likes

I do enable HDR in Retroarch. I use YCbCr 4.4.4, that should give the same result as RGB. In any case i tried RGB and it didn’t change the result.

HDR is of course enabled for my TV and in Windows.

This is what it looks like (using crt-sony-megatron-sony-pvm-2730-hdr):

https://i.imgur.com/EkG3dUv.png

2 Likes

What model TV are you using and what are your Peak Brightness and Paper White settings?

Also try different Presets.

1 Like

My TV is an LG B9. I have set both to 500, but moving them around doesn’t seem to change much.

The different presets look the same in terms of being washed out.

3 Likes

Same problem here with an LG C9. I haven’t been able to find a working solution with those presets. Peak brightness: 800; paper white ~ 300

2 Likes

Have you tried setting your desktop refresh rates to 60Hz and disabling VRR/GSYNC/FreeSync?

Take a look at this post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/ix8vtg/lg_oled_gsync_and_subsampling_issue_megathread/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=2

A while ago you said you managed to get the shader to work. Was the experience similar to what you’re experiencing now?

1 Like

Well, I don’t have any issues with HDR; only the presets that say they are specifically for HDR. THey look weird and yellow/brown like Arilando’s pic. HDR and Mega Bezel works perfectly for me aside from the MegaTron presets 🤷

2 Likes

What about standalone Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor presets? Have you had any luck with those either in HDR or SDR mode?

1 Like

Well, I tried that and it didn’t work unfortunately. As for the SDR presets, they certainly look better than the HDR presets with HDR turned, although they still look too muted for my taste. With HDR turned off they look similar to the HDR presets (extremely muted colors).

2 Likes

@c9f5fdda06, @Arilando, Perhaps it’s time to call on folks like @datjocko or @Wilch to see what kind of sorcery they applied to get this shader to look good on their LG OLED TVs.

At this point I think an LG OLED specific guide might be a great help.

Some LG OLED users seemed to have gotten similar results to what can be seen in the first post.

1 Like

I am having the same exact issue as Arilando and c9f5dda06 - HDR versions of these Megatron shaders are incredibly dark and washed out. I’m running the latest versions of Retroarch, these shaders, and NVIDIA drivers with an RTX3080 and a Dell S2721Q. Other shaders and content look good, including Cyber’s awesome stuff.

My monitor is set to Game HDR with its brightness all the way up. I have HDR turned on in Windows and my GPU is set to 10-bit RGB color depth with full dynamic range. HDR is turned on in Retroarch.

One thing I find strange is that when I adjust the Display Peak Luminance, either within the shader parameters or the Retroarch settings, it seems to have no effect at all. Given that the guidance here says to adjust that first, I would think it should be a consequential setting.

Any tips?

3 Likes

Not sure. Perhaps you can try getting the SDR presets to work first then troubleshoot the HDR ones.

How do the SDR ones look for you?

I just tested the JVC D-Series preset on my cellphone and it seems to be working fine.

I took a look at the specs of the Dell S2121QS not sure how similar it is to the Dell S2121Q but it says that it “Supports HDR content playback” and has “HDR Ready technology” yet it’s peak brightness is only 350 cd/m².

Is that monitor certified for HDR?

1 Like

Yeah sounds like something is up as you should notice a massive difference when tweaking paper white brightness. So for your tv, set peak brightness to 600 and then start with paper white at 50 and start moving it upwards. If this doesnt make any visual change then either HDR isnt on in RetroArch or its not on in the shader (youve said its working in windows so thats a good start)

1 Like

Yes thats really strange - you should see a massive difference when tweaking paper white nits between 0 and the max nits (brightness). When you turn on HDR in RetroArch does the white menu text ‘glow’?

1 Like

What version of Retroarch are you using? @Arilando same question to you?

1 Like

@townknave and @Arilando as @cyber has been saying you absolutely need full colour 4:4:4 on for this shader no sub chroma compression i.e 4:2:2 etc.

1 Like

@townknave, @Arilando, @c9f5fdda06 I just tried the shader using the JVC D-Series HDR preset, switched RetroArch to HDR and initially things looked all sepia toned and wrong. The first setting I changed was setting Mask Accurate/Colour Accurate to 0 and immediately colours looked much better.

So maybe you can start there.

1 Like