Technical question about a crt

Hello gamers. I have an issue with my b&o crt and I will see if anyone here might be able to help me. So it is hooked up with scart rgb in the end and the signal is converted with a umsa and another adapter. Now I have had issues with the signal from day one. The connection into the tv is very, very sensitive for movements and its easy to loose a rgb resulting in a yellowish image, or reddish or blueish or something in between. It has also had an issue were the image gets noisy. It looks like small partikles flies around everywhere. What I found out is that if I unplug the scart rgb connector just a little, like move it out a few mm when it is connected the noise goes away. However this is tricky because if I do too much I loose one color signalā€¦ You get my pointā€¦ this crap I have to do every time I startup everythingā€¦ and lately it has become much harder to get rid of the noise. I have tried different cables and no difference. I can not change input on my tv because only one takes rgb. So I just wanna see if you have any suggestion on how to get rid of this extremely annoying problem.

If all of your cables do it, it sounds like your SCART port on the display itself may be failing. This is a bummer, but thankfully itā€™s not with the actual CRT circuitry!

1 Like

Thanx. Wellā€¦ that is sad. I have found a better solution. If i make it bent upwards and then put something between the tv and scart connector it seem to stick to the good signal. I am afraid thou that this wont last for longā€¦ :frowning:

1 Like

Hereā€™s some images that may help for shader development

6 Likes

Oh yeah. I have another question. As you know when you turn off a crt there is some static sound. Lately this has started to become much more intense and longer. Could this mean something?

Yes, I am very afraid of the day when it is goneā€¦ :frowning:

2 Likes

CRTs have a static dissipation mechanism. Usually metal straps that wrap around the tube and are grounded. It could be that the ground is faulty. It should be easy enough to pop the back off and take a look.

Be very careful though. The stored charge could be dangerous if your body acts as an accidental ground.

If it is a common ground, it could also solve your scart issue.

1 Like

Thank you. So its not normalā€¦ I am not sure about opening it. Could I just continue to use it in its current state?

1 Like

If there is a grounding issue, and I canā€™t guarantee there is, there are high voltage transformers inside CRTs. You could always keep using it until it fails outright but if it works at all it may be worth finding someone to take a look at it.

1 Like

What happens when you plug the cable into AV1?

That might be a very simple repair. You should have someone look at it before it gets worse. Putting that eraser in there is only going to add stress to the part thatā€™s already broken and will just make things worse in the long run.

Thanks for these beautiful pics!

If it does happen, you can enjoy at least some of the experience using CRT Shaders like these in the meantime:

Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor YouTube Playlist

I know the eraser solution is not good. Sadly I can not try other ports on the tv since the port I have issues with is the only one taking rgb and I can only give it rgb. I have no other options. Even though I dont wanna open it, I could probably still do it to at least take a look at the scart connectionā€¦ maybeā€¦ well I have two other vga crts and it seems still be very easy to find new ones on facebook market in my area. So maybe I will just use this solution ahead.

When it comes to shaders I would have to get a better (higher res) modern tv than the one 42" I already have. I dont plan to do that until crts are no longer around. When I watch movies I use my projektor, so a new modern tv right now is of no use for me.

1 Like

If youā€™re going to open it yourself make sure youā€™re prepared to do some soldering, because most likely there might be cracked solder joints to be reflowed/resoldered.

If thatā€™s the issue, then it should be an easy fix. You can probably do it yourself after watching a few soldering videos on YouTube. Just make sure you have the correct tools to do the job including flux.

I have an ā€œoldā€ 40" 1080p Toshiba Regza LCD backlight and it looks marvelous with CRT Shaders! It just doesnā€™t do as well with Slot Mask and Shadow Mask Shader presets.

Take a look at these:

I have discovered something with my b&o beovision mx 7000 crt. Iam mostly writing it here in case someone with the same tv wants to try it.

In the top right corner it has something that looks like a IR reader. But there is also a brightness sensor behind it. If you put a flashlight to it you will see the screen brighten up way more than what is possible with the settings (service menu included). I have tried to search if its possible to make it always that bright, but I have not found anything about it, sadly.