TheNamec - Mega Bezel Packs Amiga, Commodore 64, VIC20, CRTgaming soon

is it correct that with 4.1 the potato preset is only available with the cream bezel?

Potato bezel color is paired with main chassis color, i.e. black for A1200synth and Amiga CDTV, darkgray for AmigaCD32 and so on. This way I can choose the best solution for each scenario.

Of course, rendering each scene-device combination would end up being very time consuming while dramatically increasing download size. Iā€™m not entirely convinced doing potato overlays at 4k is the right solution in terms of performance.

Are you using it on mobile? Which resolution?

1 Like

It was just an observation i made when comparing file/folder changes from 4.0 to 4.1

Cause my sync tool told me it wanted to delete over 1000 files :thinking:

i am not using the potato presets. I use advanced and smooth. Just on PC and 4K res. So my question was only based on curiosity and interest.

1 Like

Yup, basically they were all pointing to the same overlay so I did a cleanup and streamlined to the POTATO device. Less is more! Ha ha

Update to latest slang shaders and check out tuned SUPER-XBR, Iā€™m really enjoying that visual!

4 Likes

Will try that one. Thanx.

1 Like

NOOB PROBLEM - SMUDGED ARTIFACTS WHEN RESIZING

First of all, really wanted to kindly thank you for doing the project! The shaders load properly (NMC_SHARP_S-VIDEO is my fav). The games load properly. Any game that I load up in mega bezels is always a bit smaller inside the bezels. Integer Scale: OFF, Aspect Ratio: Full, Crop Overscan: ON 1080p screen size

With traditional shaders I could just change the Aspect Ratio to CUSTOM and play around. Regardless of the screen size the shaders managed to make the screen pretty smooth and nice (lottes is my fav)

With Mega Bezel pack, I assume in order to resize the content inside bezels (make the screen inside the bezels bigger so I could see the reflections) I would have to go to: Shaders > Shader Parameters > Cropping Core Image (using the Crop Top / Bottom / Left / Right ect.)

Now here where the problem starts, I get the smudged artifacts compared to just traditional shaders, even if I donā€™t resize that much. As if I would open photoshop and resize a small photo into bigger, then the pixelated artifacts I would just smudge.

Chaos Engine - Original aspect ration when the game is loaded with TheNamec shader - itā€™s always smaller so I have to resize it. Resized:

No mega bezel shader (Lottes shader):

Sorry to bother. Canā€™t figure out what is the mistake that I do. Maybe this is not proper way to resize the content inside overlay? Help :frowning:

1 Like

Heya! Thank you so much and welcome to the Mega Bezel Community!

Which preset does these screenshot come from?

These artifacts may came out from various reasons.

Before altering default settings, you may do a simple check by using one of my ā€œINTEGER FLATā€ presets. This way you should see the pixels from the core without stretching/resizing/scaling.

Aspect ratio is not a problem, as we use a responsive system to auto-adapt the overlay to actual pixel count.

Another thing you should check is actual P-UAE core settings for auto-cropping and centering, as this manipulates the video output before the shader.

But first thing first, lemme know how is it doing with INTEGER FLAT preset.

PS: Libretro board lets you upload photos directly from your system, no need for external host :wink:

In the first example itā€™s looking to me like perhaps this is coming from using the SMOOTH-ADV preset, which smooths the image then resamples it with 125% of the vertical height. I think this is what is probably causing the vertical smudged elements.

If you set the core res sampling opposite direction to 100% this should disappear.

Iā€™m not sure what is happening with the second example

Sorry, new users can only put one image in a post. << :slight_smile: As well as only two links in a post :slight_smile:

Apologies if it sounds like complaining, I really love the overlays. Itā€™s that Iā€™m not that advanced into the shaders yet. The shader I have used for my screenshot from Chaos Engine is NMC_SHARP_S-VIDEO.

Maybe first question should be - if you load up a game using Mega Bezel does your game already fit in right precisely in the screen (showing the reflections on the edges of the monitor)? Or you always have to adjust them manually so they fit fully on screen. Because all my games load slightly smaller.

Untouched NMC_SHARP_S-VIDEO > INTEGER_FLAT_NIGHT Loading screen is actually always loaded correctly without any adjusting). So up to this point - THIS IS ALL GOOD. NO ISSUES

In game screen however (Untouched NMC_SHARP_S-VIDEO > INTEGER_FLAT_NIGHT) is smaller. Photo link on ibb.co/qCNfVwG It does not stretch edge to edge - unless the game was intended to be in that size:slight_smile:

Now stretching it gives this result: (two links to ibb . co) /DVBfxvm /G5TZ2YL

Which gives some strange artifacts and loses some details, in comparison to regular shader (lottes) Flashback looks like this: (link to ibb . co) /7kKfH6s

This is better example: Ishar 2 NMC_SHARP_S-VIDEO (link to ibb . co) /HTMC2Sx

vs Lottes (way bigger/stretched and yet does not lose itā€™s details - if you know what I mean) (link to ibb . co) /SBX85tg

Would you be kind to share your Ishar 2 / Flashback or Chaos Engine screenshots? I have a feeling I just messed up sth. (using any of your TheNamec fav shader)

Other than that I bless your soul, for A600 is huge part of my life. Is there any pateron page good Sir?

1 Like

Hmmm that huge black border may really be caused by PUAE settings.

Go to QUICK MENU / OPTIONS and check ā€œautomatic croppingā€ feature settings, by enabling that you will get Fullscreen games.

Some games will still display lateral boxes because of how they were designed: to keep the correct aspect ratio you can the use the Mega Bezel crop feature to fine tune. This really works on a game-by-game base.

Iā€™ll be glad to share screenshots and my puae settings on Friday, as I have no access to my emustation during the week soā€¦ A little patience!

In the meanwhile try that setting. Also check with other simpler cores (NES, SNES, megadrive) to see if everything is fine with general RetroArch settings. :+1:

2 Likes

Yes! This is exactly what was causing the issue. My games load fullscreen now!

QUICK MENU > CORE OPTIONS > VIDEO > CROP changed from OFF to AUTOMATIC

And the games look stunning! Thank you for this!

3 Likes

We nailed it!

Show me some of your preferred games as soon as you can, Iā€™m always curious to see mega bezel at work with amiga titles I never experimented by myself.

Thatā€™s how I discovered indie/later productions like Unescapee :innocent:

3 Likes

Hey the new stuff and backgrounds are amazing ā€¦and bit funny that you changed the bg assets i changed to remind folks like me :sweat_smile: i keep it now og

1 Like

Mate, your TheNamec pack is the best retro immersive experience that Iā€™ve been to yet. I hope this project will expand (any way to support you?) and I only dream of night artworks like yours for other systems like atari/ps1/nes/snes. NMC_SOFT_COMPOSITE has cured my cancer and I use it for all my retro library including FFMpeg. To re-watch 90ā€™s anime on that philips monitor? What a blast!

6 Likes

Aha yeah, I use soft composite now too for 90s anime! Itā€™s easily my favourite shader preset. And with the new screen effects and additional halation, thereā€™s so much now that feels ā€˜just rightā€™ and authentic to what I remember Amiga games in particular feeling and looking like.

4 Likes

A funny coincidence indeed! :grin: I forgot embedding these despite the license. :hugs:

@p3st have you got any ideas for future backdrops youā€™d like to see? Iā€™m looking forwards for new retrowalls development to put into the CRT-GAMING pack.

PS: I can literally hear the Turrican2 Level1 starting music just by looking at that screenshot!

2 Likes

This one directly goes to my ā€œMega Sweet Memoriesā€ book! :heart_eyes:

Thank you guys, itā€™s a much encouraging feedback! I think we hit a nice spot on the ā€œsoftā€ visuals side, now weā€™ll work to enhance the ā€œsharpā€ side thanks to new features from master Guest.R and tuning from Mega Bezel community!

Sorry for the late answers, Iā€™ve been a little short on free time lately, hope to get back at bezelling asap! :innocent:

4 Likes

yeah some wood pannels would be nice i guess ā€¦or some setup like lgr does some ā€œfakeā€ simple desktop perhaps that gives an 80Ā“s feel ^^ perhaps (cuz you like to use the LED layer for backgrouds) with a neon sign or clock so in the background ā€¦

1 Like

I have tried many times, but have not been able to achieve the effect of the picture on the right. The most similar formulation is NMC SHARP S-VIDEO, but there are some differences. I would like to ask if you can provide the formulation to achieve the effect in the picture, thank you.

1 Like

I honestly donā€™t think we need to work that hard.

The default Guest with mask 8 looks almost identical.

5 Likes