Vulkan HDR support added

Although I do like your sentiment.

Probably people with not a lot space - a lot people live in cities and a lot of people simply dont want a CRT in their front room (or rather their partner doesn’t). Also even those like myself with a few PVMs don’t want to collect more for slot masks/shadow masks etc etc. Also CRTs don’t come that large and a lot of low end CRTs probably give a worse experience than a decent LCD with a shader.

As for the manufacturers taking into account the requirements of a ‘handful’ of retro gamers I’m not sure it makes too much economic sense. I could be wrong though.

2 Likes

Ok so first this is not early adopter technology. OLEDS have been around for years. This thing is not a steam deck so I disagree.

I did I not buy the C1 for retro gaming. I bought it for PC gaming which you cannot deny due to its input lag ratings and picture it is the best TV money can buy right now.

I have a CRT with real consoles with flash carts in my den. As MajorPain said above, I am trying to get rid of it to free up space and I’m trying to move into an all in one solution. And if you want get technical, many users have stated that OLED is the best way to play retro games on real hardware besides for a CRT. So yes, there are people that are spending 2k to enjoy old games.

There is another extensive dollar value attached to this upgrade in the form of a $2100.00 dollar 4K gaming PC I built, which I waited a year for a chance to beat scalpers and land a 3080ti at MSRP and not get raped. I built this PC for this TV specifically to game at 4K 60fps. So actually this upgrade cost me over $4000.

I think you missed the part where I said there is a 500ms sound lag when using PC and it happens with XSX and PS5. Dude, do you know how bad that is? For a TV marketed for gaming? That is reason alone to return this. LG has been aware of this for a long time and they refuse to fix it. The only way to remedy is to buy a soundbar. Are you effing kidding me?

Also the latest firmware that was just released brings the input lag in 120hz mode from 8ms to 25ms. Again, really? Do you think that’s right for TV marketed at gaming?

Couple that with how I can’t use RA in the optimized I should be using it because of a hardware problem with the TV, I have every right to be upset.

If you can’t see how someone spends 4 grand to upgrade to 4K gaming, then gets upset at these kinds of things….then I really don’t know what to tell you.

1 Like

I didn’t pick up on that no. Sorry. One of the caveats of being full Italian is emotion unfortunately. :grin:

1 Like

Don’t go crazy dude, I think it’s a problem with our TV’s.

2 Likes

Yes sadly I probably think it is - especially as when you turn off the LG gaming settings it goes away. Hmm lets see though if someone else sees it on a different make - maybe someone here has a Sony OLED they can try it on?

1 Like

Yeah this is a tricky bit about forums, without the communication cues we might use in person, sarcasm often doesn’t come across, so jokes can often come across way harsher than intended.

It’s certainly something I try to be aware of to try to avoid rubbing someone the wrong way or hurting someone’s feelings unintentionally.

Ok, PSA over :wink:

5 Likes

this was my conclusion even before I chimed in; I just hoped I was wrong. But yes, I think it’s some kind of burn-in solution.

@trnzaddict after updating to the current nvidia driver, it seems to have mostly gone away :thinking:

3 Likes

Fantastic news! Nvidia have had numerous HDR bugs recently.

4 Likes

Hey do you have a link for this?

I think I found something interesting on how WOLEDs do RGB with HDR.

Here’s a pic of Cyber’s 4K Pure preset for HSM. It has 100% mask:

Here’s another one with 75% mask.

100% was MUCH dimmer while 75% was nice and bright.

It looks to me like the white pixel is there primarily to boost what is pure white (not beige, for example), even if it does seem to try to boost the areas around it. They also appear to be behind the RGB ‘mask’.

Thoughts? :thinking:

3 Likes

I think that’s how it might behave and look on any screen. There’s a huge difference in brightness between 100% and 90% for example.

In your first image (100% Mask Strength), it looks as if I’m seeing some white LED peeping through amongst the colours however I’m not sure it’s something that anyone can notice from a normal viewing distance.

In your second image (75% Mask Strength). I’m seeing a large white horizontal line going through the center of the “phosphors” (particularly in the white areas). I’ve recently noticed this and commented on it in one of my screen photo posts.

Do remember that GDV Noise is a temporal effect so you might have to adjust your shutter speed accordingly to capture all of the phases of it if you want to preserve the full image detail. Or you can just turn it off temporarily when taking stills.

That thick horizontal white line in the center of the white could just be the way that the shader modulates the mask strength or maybe just the pure white pixel colour overpowering the mask’s filtering effect.

You can increase the Mask strength a bit and see if the white line shrinks.

Yes probably - the LG engineers would have been primarily interested in film (sadly not CRT shaders :rofl:) and so will be interested in getting bright highlights in film brighter (and to pass those pesky RTings tests) that tend to be white. Also if you turned on the white element when its red say, you’d get pink so that would be really bad.

1 Like

Hey MajorPain. FWIW the rolling black line issue I was having was resolved. On LG OLEDS when HDR is enabled there are 2 modes. One is called Dynamic Tone Mapping, the second HGiG. Switching to HGiG solves this issue. DTM does not like RA’s BFI feature.

Hopefully this will help other OLED users if they run into the same issue here.

3 Likes

Yes that kind of makes sense depending on what ‘dynamic’ means. Assuming it temporal i.e over a number of frames then BFI is going to shaft it. What does HGiG mean btw?

1 Like

HDR Gaming Interest Group.

Supposedly it’s a preset based on their standard. HGiG Is what should be used on LG OLEDS as game designers follow this standard and it really brings out a lot of details. At least according hundreds of comments I’ve read through.

Why I never used it is it darkens the image. DTM makes the picture more vibrant/bright but supposedly it is wrong to use according to the videophiles.

2 Likes

Interesting I used HGIG too and my TVs BFI but this is what I’ve discovered (LG C9):

1 Like

That sucks. Ultimately an issue on LG’s end. I would use the LG’s built in strobing/BFI but in order to use it Game Optimizer needs to be off which there goes my insanely low input lag and Gsync.

1 Like

Sorry to bump an old thread but I’ve been having the same issue with the black bars on my CX when using BFI and HDR. Changing dynamic tone mapping to on, off or HGiG makes no difference in my case. Oddly enough the issue only happens when the picture preset is on game mode. On any other mode it doesn’t happen, but of course the picture looks worse. It also doesn’t show when the TV menu is in view which is also weird. Anyone else experiencing this issue still?

2 Likes

A recent update made this go away for me on my C9. I know exactly what you mean. Weird black bars on the bottom half with HDR and BFI. For some reason these are gone for me now as of a month ago (after an update). I’d complain on avsforum (since a lot of pros go there) and even if no one replies (the case for me…) someone who can do something about it might see it.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmQUGfXPPtq7gw3q-vVZo46cCI5G?e=X4hZSS

I retried it out of curiosity and the problem is gone.

3 Likes

Interesting to see that a software update fixed it. Definitely something weird with the TV side of things. Unfortunately my CX is already on the current version and I’m still getting the same issue as shown in your video. I’ll try mentioning it on avsforum and see how that goes. The TV is great otherwise but this issue has been a pain to deal with.

2 Likes