Zomb's Mega Bezel Pack

These are some of the best looking bezels/presets I’ve seen!! Wowza :heart_eyes: Excellent work @Zombeaver :beers:

4 Likes

That’s a real shame. After using MAME for decades once I realised I could do 90% of my emulation in RA, FBNeo became the much better experience for me because of its tight integration with RA features, Quick Menu and Core Options (even more so that MAME2003Plus). Just to be clear are you saying that even Mega Bezel itself has issues because I’ve been running FBNeo vertical games with it and thought it was okay. :smiley: :smiley:

It should be fine as long as you have followed the Mega Bezel set up instructions and use the parameters to rotate the game screen when you need to.

3 Likes

This is true so long as the preset isn’t using NTSC parameters (which all of mine do). Unless I’ve missed something, what we discussed previously hasn’t been resolved.

If the preset uses NTSC parameters, yes. All of my presets use NTSC parameters.

2 Likes

Hi Zombeaver.

I would like to say that I really like the shader presets you are making. They are probably my favorite presets of the Mega Bezel project! I was wondering if you are planning to release new versions of the shader. Some composite presets with slight artifacting/fringing would be nice. I have a 4k display available so maybe I could help you to make some 4k presets.

1 Like

Hey there, I actually have 4k variants basically all done at this point, I’ve just been busy working on the next version of C64 Dreams a lot lately so I haven’t put it out yet. I picked up a 42" LG C2 in the time since creating these so that was a good foundation. The 4k versions were actually a lot more involved than I anticipated as the changes from 1080p to 1440p were relatively minor (mostly regarding the “fake scanline” values) but going from those to 4k required a number of values to be adjusted that I did not expect. Basically things looked, for lack of a better word, “dirty” when moving up to 4k, mostly due to the mask settings so it ended up being more involved than I thought.

They’re in pretty good shape now though, I just need to do some final cleanup. It’s just a time limitation issue currently.

12 Likes

Hi, I just wanted to say that even thought I don’t use MAME, your work, efforts and touches on these bezel presets is absolutely beautiful renditions. I really appreciate how mind blowing they look. Keep up the great work!

3 Likes

you really nailed the holofoil look with the some of the logos on these overlays ,

time to fake some 1st gen charziad cards :smiling_imp: :rofl:

1 Like

When do you plan tot release the 4k presets? Could you maybe do a pre-release?

1 Like

Hey guy, sorry I haven’t forgotten about this I’ve just had a lot on my plate lately. I’ll try to get the 4k update out this weekend.

4 Likes

Okay, the new pack is up including the 4k presets.

Note that the “AltMask” presets are missing for those as they weren’t appropriate in this context.

6 Likes

Hi @Zombeaver. Thanks for the new presets! I’ll try them out when I get home. Just a quick question, what version of the Mega Bezel pack should we be using?

It’s linked in the opening post under “Requirements”.

1 Like

@Zombeaver how is it going with the naomi bug you had?

For the reminder, the missing libretro rotation was an issue specific to the MAME (current) core, and it has finally been implemented some time ago (there is a core option to fallback to the old behavior). You might want to update your shaders so that they work properly with this since it’s the standard. There is also a new “Rotation” uniform passed from retroarch to the shaders, it indicates the libretro rotation index sent by the core to retroarch, but it’s only available in nightlies.

retroarch 1.16 has a rotation fix don’t know if it will fix this

@B-Nerd You are probably talking about the new “Rotation” uniform, i implemented it 6 months ago but there has been no release since then. For some reason RA version was bumped to 1.16 but there was no accompanying release.

With currently available RA releases, there is a workaround to detect vertical games using libretro rotation, it involves comparing FinalViewPortSize with OriginalSize (credits to @kokoko3k), however it don’t think it can tell the difference between 90° and 270°.

1 Like

Indeed, it just exploits when FinalViewPortSize is not equal to OriginalSize in a pass that scales to viewport.

We’re all waiting for your proper fix to land in stable release.

1 Like

there are also settings that only work in 1.16 because blur_fill displays tate/vertical/3:4 right

Unless something was changed with Mega Bezel itself to address what I’m referring to, that isn’t going to fix what I’m talking about here. The NTSC filters in Mega Bezel don’t (or at least didn’t) rotate properly.

i.e.

Correct:

Incorrect:

The first image resizes the viewport appropriately for the rotated content but performs no rotation in the shader parameters (i.e. what’s currently included in the pack). The second use’s Mega Bezel’s rotation function.

With the current MAME core you just need to set the rotation mode to “Internal” in the core options and they’ll work as intended as-is.

Admittedly however, as stated in the OP I’m using the Mega Bezel version from 2022-11-22 so it’s possible this has been fixed in newer versions, I’ll have to test.

2 Likes