Zomb's Mega Bezel Pack

Hey! Zomb, first of all I want to thank you for all the hard work and the dedication you put into C64 Dreams project. It is such a pleasure to dig this absolute gem! Just mind blowing!

I couldn’t find a dedicated post for C64 Dreams in here so just wanted to show my gratitude through this thread post.

And of course, congrats on RC release of these amazing presets :metal: :sunglasses: :metal:

3 Likes

Thanks! It’s a labor of love for sure. I wasn’t sure if it would be considered kosher here so I didn’t post about it on the forums. I have dedicated threads about it on a few different forums like Launchbox and Lemon 64, if people are interested I may create one here as well. Work is still ongoing for the next update and I’m hoping to have it done by early next year.

1 Like

Update 11-16-2022:

• Added bezel variant for PC Engine CD

• Added new preset family - Scanner

I quite like the way this one looks and it’s become my new favorite. I’ve updated all the screenshots in the opening post with shots using SCA1-Scanner for reference. I have the ability to edit posts now so the download link in the opening post has been updated as well.

6 Likes

Update 11-18-2022:

• Fine tuned Sharpsmoother values in Scanner presets. The end result being a slightly sharper image overall while still blending the most problematic bits.

• Made some slight changes to scanlines, brightness, contrast, and saturation in Scanner presets. There were a few situations where contrast could be slightly harsher and scanlines more aggressive than I wanted them to be.

• Added bezel variants for Atari 8-bit computers and DOS.

8 Likes

This great. I’ve been looking for some 1440p presents to try. I’m a bit confused by this comment though:

(this is for content where you’re using upscaling above the platform’s native resolution, like you might be doing with say Dreamcast for example; on a 1080p display)

Do you mean for 240p consoles I’d use Presets-1440p but for consoles that were 480i or 480p (DC or PS2) I’d use Presets-HiResContent-1440p?

Do you mean for 240p consoles I’d use Presets-1440p but for consoles that were 480i or 480p (DC or PS2) I’d use Presets-HiResContent-1440p ?

Yep, you got it! “Fake scanlines” are used above 240p and the ideal mask settings are a little different when they’re used vs normal scanlines so I made separate presets for both scenarios.

For content that switches back and forth periodically (like some PSX games), I would recommend the non-HiResContent presets, as it will look better on average. There are a handful of games like Tekken 3 that run at 480i at all times where you’d want the HiResContent ones but those are very few and far between. You also want to use HiResContent if you’re doing any actual internal resolution upscaling like some people will do with say PSX or DC.

1 Like

I was wondering if you have plans for “Standard” (less demanding) preset release or, is it specific to “Advanced” shader in order to maintain the quality that otherwise can’t be achieved with the less.

1 Like

I was wondering if you have plans for “Standard” (less demanding) preset release or, is it specific to “Advanced” shader in order to maintain the quality that otherwise can’t be achieved with the less.

I do use some of the advanced functions so I wasn’t really planning on it, no.

That is really a shame. Your work is just too good to not share with everyone.

If you change your mind, I would be glad to lend a hand converting these to vanilla and potato presets. Even standard overlays.

3 Likes

Even standard overlays.

That’s certainly doable. As far as the bezel/overlay portion of these, most of those I created before working on this to begin with, and just reworked a bit for use here. I’ve made new ones for this that didn’t exist in that format but it wouldn’t be too difficult to convert back in that direction either.

Downgrading the presets I’m a little more dubious about. There are some things missing in the non-ADV presets like Sharpsmoother that I’m really quite fond of.

3 Likes

Update 11-20-2022:

• Made a few adjustments to NTSC brightness and saturation in Scanner presets - particularly bright areas could sometimes appear a bit brighter than they should
  • Added missing presets for LUTech for Atari 8-bit, DOS, and PC Engine CD
  • Remade/improved MAME bezels (I was never really happy with the previous version)

It’s probably worth noting here that there are actually a couple alternate background versions available for rotated MAME (and a few others like Neo Geo and CPS1) as well. If you navigate to Zombs Mega Bezel\Resources\Images\MAME you’ll see a couple subfolders with alternate versions which you can copy out and replace in the MAME folder if you want to change it.

• Added preset variants for double and triple-screen arcade games like Warrior Blade and Darius respectively. These are available in the “Special” subfolder and then subdivided into “Arcade Dual Screen” and “Arcade Triple Screen” folders.

• Added bezel variant for Atomiswave

8 Likes

What I did, in order to get my GeForce GTX 970 to be able to run my presets in their full glory at 4K was clone my preset folder and replace the MBZ__0__SMOOTH-ADV_GDV.slangp base preset with the MBZ__0__SMOOTH-ADV-NO-REFLECT__GDV.slangp.

Everything but the real-time reflections remain intact using those base presets.

I subsequently made some Standard Presets using Soqueroeu Mega Bezel TV Backgrounds and found that they didn’t need the smoothing as much due to them being scaled down to fit a smaller viewport. Then I used my Custom Blargg NTSC Video Filter Presets to take care of things like de-dithering and to smooth things out a bit more.

If you haven’t already, you should try them. They’ll have a nice post processing effect on your presets that you might actually like. They’re already in the RetroArch Video Filters folder.

1 Like

I tried to run those last ones with a Gtx 1080ti and it had 45 fps.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: CRT Switchres issue

You can try what I mentioned above and switch to a No-Reflect base preset for improved performance but you’ll lose the real-time reflections of course.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that. You may want to try what @Cyber suggested as it will probably help. I’m getting about 260FPS in BSNES with my presets but I have a 5900x and a 3080.

1 Like

I’ve completely reworked the HiResContent presets. Basically the issue has always been that when fake scanlines kick in (above 240p), the mask, gamma, contrast etc. all affect them quite differently than they do normal scanlines, so I’ve kindof struggled to dial in good settings for those because what looks good/right with normal scanlines does not with the fake ones. But I’ve spent several days working on them and have some improved values that will be used in subsequent updates. Bright white areas were always the most problematic, as they would tend to clip, and contrast overall was much lower than I wanted. Pretty happy with the results of the new settings though.

Old:

New:

Old:

New:

Old:

New:

7 Likes

Update 11-22-2022

• Completely reworked HiResContent presets to provide much closer approximation to the standard presets. Contrast, saturation, color adjustments, etc. are significantly better now, and high brightness clipping has been eliminated. See previous post for examples.
  • Rotated presets in the non-HiResContent folders now simply reference the HiResContent equivalent in the corresponding 1080p or 1440p folder - the reason being is that fake scanlines are always intended to be enabled in this context
  • Made adjustments to rotated presets based on changes in HSM Mega Bezel V1.6.2_2022-11-22. You will need to update your version of Mega Bezel, you can grab it here. The opening post has been updated as well.

I discovered an issue while testing rotated games in the FB Neo core when it comes to NTSC handling (which all my presets use). @HyperspaceMadness is aware of the issue, but for the time being all the rotated presets are intended for use with the MAME core, and not FB Neo. That was really always the case to begin with because of differences in the way rotation is handled in Retroarch between the MAME and FB Neo cores, but even if you were to go through the steps of replicating the orientation in FB Neo (disabling rotation in the core/RA, setting rotate CRT in the shader) they won’t look as good in that context because of the NTSC parameters. Whenever that does get resolved I’ll need a separate group of presets specifically for rotated FB Neo anyway.

4 Likes

Update 11-24-2022

• Corrected bezel for Master System which previously had the text oriented incorrectly
  • Added SCAN-Scanner-NoScanlines preset to the HiResContent folders
  • Added bezel variants for CPS3 and Naomi; a rotated variant for Naomi will have to wait for the moment due to the NTSC issue mentioned in the previous post

9 Likes

I love these presets Zomb. The look of the game is so pleasing to the eye nd the bezel art is awesome to look at. It reminds me of the kind you’d see on the arcade cabinets. Thank you for your hard work and thank you for making this available for all of gamers to use!

7 Likes