4K Vertical Overlay Community Contributions

I experimented with that format, as well as a format that uses the full width of the display for horizontal games, but I haven’t pursued that for vertical games at all because I it’s too large for my eyes on a 40" display. You could probably easily edit any of my overlays to do that, as you basically would just eliminate all the art besides the marquee and replace it with space for the screen area.

I may do more of those in the future, but I’m focused on getting the first 200 or so games done in my current format first.

In the meantime, GoblinDriver on the launchbox forums has actually been creating a ton of overlays like that for vertical games, especially the cave and raizing shooters. He’s been using some of my marquees but he’s also created some pretty fantastic custom marquees himself. You can find his work here:

6 Likes

Wow, more great bezels! Thanks, ArsInvictus for all you do in this community!

2 Likes

Thank you @Orionsangel! The same for you as well!

2 Likes

Vasara 2 4k Vertical Overlay

I did a plain version of the bezel too, just for a change:

Marquee and bezels are available on the dropbox at 300 dpi as usual:

8 Likes

Thank you @ArsInvictus for your continued contributions to the community!

This is a bit off topic considering arcade overlays, but i stumbled upon some images of PVM’s. I would like the community to have these and to be used as overlays but they have some rough edges and needs to be cleaned up.

Here they are on my Google Drive

My miserable BigJpg 4x AI Upscaling

Looking at what you have accomplished with the source materials for many of the Overlays you have created i have no doubt you could make these look amazing.

4 Likes

Hey Rion, thanks for reaching out to me. I sent you a PM

Dear ArsInvictus and Community Contributors,

I’m new to the community, here. I’m mainly a “pinball guy,” but I certainly love old school gaming in all forms. I’ve dabbled with MAME since the early 2000s, but never really took a deep dive into emulation.

My best friend’s parents owned an arcade game business when I was a kid. Been hooked ever since. I have really fond memories of collecting quarters “en route” with the family, and being invited to play the newest arcade games in their garage before they went out on location.

A huge part of the arcade experience for me has always been interacting with the marquee, bezel art and cabinet design.

Imagine my super pleasant surprise to discover you guys’ new vertical display overlays. I had no idea this “movement” existed. I’m super excited to get some of these beauties up and running on our family gaming computer. Can’t wait to swivel the monitor into portrait orientation to appreciate your wonderful work.

Thank you so much, everyone involved. Very inspiring!

:smiley:

5 Likes

Hey @benlogan! Thanks for taking the time to voice your appreciation!

I’m glad you’re planning to start using this format as well. I had been creating horizontal overlays but switched to this vertical format after getting the 40" RecRoomMasters vertical cabinet. If you really want to take advantage of this format I highly recommend it (or building something similar).

This format has really become viable now that we have inexpensive, large screen 4K displays that can display both the artwork at high resolution and render CRT shaders like @HyperspaceMadness’s reflection shader at the same time and at a low price (my Vizio 40" 4K TV was only $230).

Thanks again!

3 Likes

Spacies Arcade made a really cool video showcasing this community’s work with vertical cab overlays. Published 4/21/20.

https://youtu.be/V0e8wPRQoPk

2 Likes

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing. Good to get the word out there about this format!

1 Like

Twin Cobra 4K Vertical Overlay

Classic Toaplan game!

7 Likes

Ghosts 'n Goblins 4K Vertical Overlay

I’ve been looking at actual photos of the original cabinets lately and trying to replicate the marquees more authentically. It might be too strong of an effect but it does match more to the photos I’ve seen.

7 Likes

Yeah, that was a mistake, I fixed the reflection in the actual file out there. I will have to update the posting later.

2 Likes

Love the inclusion of the coin door. Really completes the look!

Dreamstate, that Nintendo cab speaker port is iconic. Love to see that you’ve showcased it. Thanks!

2 Likes

Genesis Console - Generic 4K Vertical Overlay

Spacies Arcade on Youtube did a couple videos showcasing the work I’ve been doing here and in one of them mentioned it would be nice to have some console versions of these overlays for vertical setups. So, I put together something simple for the Genesis. I think it will be fun to do some custom marquees for some of these Genesis games too, like Gunstar Heroes (shown here), Streets of Rage, etc. So will probably come back and do some of those at some point. I’ll put some of these together for some of the other major consoles too.

This is in a new directory under portrait-monitor:

11 Likes

@Briball has posted his configs, which include my own overlay configurations on his google drive here:

configs

The way this works, if you drop my overlays directly into the retroarch overlay directory, and place his configs into your mame config directory, then it will automatically load the overlay for each game and set the right screen coordinates.

I highly recommend using @HyperspaceMadness’s Mega Bezel Shader with this setup, as I don’t include a monitor bezel in the overlays so it looks correct with his shader.

Longer term I’d like to look into setting up a github so we have a community environment where folks can contribute more easily to this effort.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for these tips, ArsInvictus. Hoping to find time to start setting Retroarch up this weekend.

Love the backlit “night Arcade” option!

1 Like

Super Nintendo Generic 4K overlay

I know there is some banding on this one, I haven’t solved that issue for solid black bezels yet. I’ll see if I can fix it next week when I have some more time. But this is out there now for anyone who wants to play SNES games on a vertical setup:

7 Likes