Calling all CRT owners: photos please!

I am REALLY interested in seeing both of those. The Bang & Olufsen is funnily enough the TV I’m trying to simulate at the moment!

I’m really interested in seeing a standardised photo of this TV.

2 Likes

Want to see one from Commodore 1084S-P. Mine died years ago. I have that memory that pixels looked like tiny shields and I think resolution should be a bit higher than a normal TV.

There was a C64 monitor 13" with 0.64mm dot pitch, Commodore 1701 that info on internet says it was 320 x 256 resolution, and 1084S has 0.42mm at same size so there is definitely a difference in resolution compared to a normal TV, I guess. Probably 1084 is 640 x 480 but I am curious to see.

1 Like

The Commodore 1084 manual claims “640 lines in center” whatever that means.

1 Like

Yes I have read elsewhere that resolution is between a normal TV and a PVM. I don’t think they would sell a normal TV tube as a monitor for an expensive 16bit computer that could do 640 x 512. But should see some shots to clarify that.

2 Likes

Not the best pictures sadly.

5 Likes

Found these, definitely looks like 640 lines. It is way more defined than my Trinitron for sure.

4 Likes

This is basically what an arcade monitor or average 20” TV looks like.

2 Likes

That monitors looked stunning especially when connected to a PS1/Saturn that have more colors, on arcade level (did that back in the day). Or some later Amiga games like Flashback. Looking at the shots the shader that comes closer at 1080 without tweaking is crt-geom, i mean the scanlines have the same look, the mask surely cannot be done at 1080p, at least tries to recreate the same horiz. resolution with trinitron mask.

When i connect Amiga to Trinitron and switch to 640 x 256 there is some blur while i remember being pretty clear on 1084S, now i understand why heh. I also regret last year in a computer shop i found this not working (which is the same monitor actually) and the owner would give it to me for 10 euro, i have a technician that could repair that (he did my Amiga that was destroyed by battery leaking, many lines destroyed etc). That same guy gave me the Trinitron almost for nothing.

Proof: One pixel has 2 x 2 pixels of mask, the game resolution is 320 x 240 so 1084S is a 640 x 480 monitor

Clipboard03

4 Likes

JVC TM-H1950CG broadcast CRT (perspective corrected)

2 Likes

For anybody else willing to donate some CRT photos: here’s what I can hopefully do with a really good close up shot:

Again thanks @DariusG! (Hopefully sometime soon I’ll get around to simulating your Commodore 1084)

2 Likes

Over at the Nightfallcrew blog, there are some close up pictures (dolphindos and face) posted of a CM-14 monitor, which is an old 80’s model that was sold mainly with the Amstrad CPC and later the Spectrums with RGB out. I can’t find the exact specs (TVL) of that monitor though.

https://www.nightfallcrew.com/16/02/2019/fidelity-cm14-colour-monitor-rgbcomposite/

3 Likes

Close screenshots look like a normal TV, 384x272 or so. Each C64 pixel (8x8 characters on Basic screen) is a unique pixel on screen, or close to that.

1 Like

These photos have potential! Does anybody know what that picture is of on the display i.e the man’s face? I usually need the same image to display on the Megatron to match up what is happening on the CRT. I can take a crack at this without that though but then it won’t be quite as accurate.

1 Like

Found it:

3 Likes

Amazing work! How on earth did you find that!?! (Dont tell me it was written on the page :joy:)

1 Like

I think Google photos can find it

1 Like

Lol, no. I cropped the monitor picture out and used google images. I thought it’s probably from a demo, and down relevant hits appeared…because, can you believe it, the first results and a supposedly related search is for “flat-panel display” :rofl:

3 Likes

Black magic I tell you, it’s all black magic!!! :rofl: I forget you can actually paste images in and it’ll find it for you - the wonders of the modern world…

1 Like

Yeah what Google does is kind of black magic to find the photo. 10-15 years ago we should run to c64 forums asking for help lol.

1 Like

My 1084s preset is ready and waiting. :grin: These demos are cool BTW.

I may start using the Old Man image as a test image myself.

8 Likes