Checkerboard-Dedither shader

This is a byproduct from sgenpt-mix shaders. I decided to split it between checkerboard dithering and pseudo transparency (vertical lines dither). So, sgenpt-mix will stay as is and later will only treat pseudo transparencies.

This one is called Checkerboard-Dedither. It’s a multipass shader and does a better job than sgenpt-mix in this regard.

This is a first version, so I need to evolute it before insert in slang shaders repo.

If you’re interested, use shader update online from Retroarch.

I appreciate feedback about its flaws.

Some screens (raw first, dedithered later):

It works even better in combination with some crt:

14 Likes

New release:

What’s new:

• Added an extra pass to trim stray pixels;
  • Improvements in pattern recognition, now it can smooth 2x3 checkerboards.

Some screens (raw first, dedithered later):

9 Likes

wow, those are big improvements. Looks fantastic!

4 Likes

With the 2x3 checker detection it was possible to filter this in Sonic intro screen:

And Street Fighter and other capcom fighting are totally filtered:

7 Likes

Wow! This looks amazing! I feel like none of the other methods we have deal with the stray pixels like this, at least without going full jailbar de-dither.

Great stuff! :star_struck:

The Sonic Example is really amazing, here’s the before and after

I forsee an immanent addition to the Mega Bezel :grin:

5 Likes

Particularly, this screenshot is very hard to filter and produce a quality output:

In native res if you wanna test with other algorithms:

Pulseman10

The sawtooth artifact is hard to treat!

7 Likes

New release: Use RA shader update online to get it.

What’s new:

• Some small improvements in pattern recognition;
  • Stray pixels trim improved;
  • Made a Pull Request, so it’ll be on repo soon.

8 Likes

Wow, this is really looking amazing, fantastic achievement @Hyllian! :star_struck:

5 Likes

Great work @Hyllian. Can you do some further testing using PC-Engine and SNES Games as well please if just to fine tune and further put the algorithm through its paces? Lots of PC-Engine games use checkerboard dither patterns and the old blurring methods or even Blargg produces results that don’t look like the sharp composite output PC-Engine is renowned for.

2 Likes

Do you have examples of pc engine that uses dithering?

For SNES, I think this one work ok as the checkerboard are even less than the genesis.

I put a param called “HUD details” that is set to 1.0 and can be increased up to 5.0. If you increase it trim more stray pixels, so you can tweak it for other system or per game.

3 Likes

Of course, off the top of my head,

• Lords of Thunder - Water level, waterfall
  • Last Alert - Cut scenes
  • Ys Book I & II - Intro
  • Ys IV - Ending
  • Madden - Grass texture
  • Devils Crush - Title Text and some of the bricks in the main table.

These are just a few but unfiltered dithering is a thing I’ve noticed often in PC Engine games, especially the ones that are trying to look more realistic.

I’ll try to add to the list later as I see notice more.

1 Like

It’ll be more helpfull if you post native res screenshots of these game moments.

False positive or false negative will always be a side effect of these kind of filtering. It would need some very advanced AI to separate all true dithering from false ones.

1 Like

No problem, that will have to wait until whenever I get a chance.

Here is one from the Lords of thunder level

2 Likes

I’m sure the checkerboard-dedither can filter that watterfal! The Pattern is standard.

2 Likes

Using my new crt preset that waterfall can be filtered:

Using only checkerboard-dedither:

5 Likes

Wow!

Looks great! Hopefully minimal false positives! I haven’t forgotten about the other examples by the way, just don’t have the time right now to take the screenshots and upload but I would still like to contribute, if only to help test and verify the functionality.

4 Likes

Awesome work @Hyllian !

3 Likes

Its amazing! the results are very clean! I would like an on/off switch for linear gamma blend

3 Likes

Yes, I’ll add that switch in the next version.

BTW, it works well with saturn transparencies:

10 Likes