Core and Feature Requests

Greetings. I’m new this site and am not really sure on how to compose or start a topic so this is the best I can do for now. From what I can tell you are an Admin so I’m hoping I can get this message across to you and this info might make it’s way through the proper channels. Long story short; I started using Swanstation a little while ago and through MUCH trial and error, google searching, and problem solving I got it working well. THE BIGGEST ISSUE was with the “in-game” save file option. I discovered that, if I used the .srm save file, my games would crash and the file would be erased. So I learned that when I used the .mcd save file, my games would NEVER crash. I was happy to have finally found the solution to why my games were crashing and erasing saved data. This is a big issue because now that option has been removed and my games are crashing again. Really frustrating. So basically I just don’t ever save in-game and instead only use save states; when I do that the game NEVER crashes. So PLEASE try to communicate this info to your team and either try to fix this problem with the .srm save file option or just give us back the option to use the .mcd save file. Thank you.

Someone please make a separate Nintendo Game & Watch libretro core using MAME’s emulation with support for RetroAchievements

Reasons for the port:

• The MAME core doesn’t work well for G&W. Trying to load a G&W rom crashes RA. You have to load an arcade rom first to get to the core options, disable softlists and enable alternate renderer to then be able to load the G&W roms.
  • The required alternate renderer is extremely slow, you have to play at low resolution even on mid-high end PC hardware, while MAME standalone can play full resolution at full speed
  • MAME core is missing RetroAchievements and other features
  • The existing GW core is a simulator, not an emulator, is missing a majority of the G&W library, and visually looks much worse compared to MAME
  • It’s Nintendo history with around 60 games.
1 Like

Could putting in something that you can Choose what Save File you are going to use.

For Example - Uncharted Waters New Horizon has only 1 Save Slot but what Happens you want to use more then 1?

So you could choose what save file you want to use.

Is that Possible?

1 Like

or Even make your own save thru Retroarch

Would be cool to see this open-source game engine to have a emulator core. Renpy apparently has been around since 2004.

index-logo

i think with the current amount of great shaders , a core that could passthrough the image/video from another app/game/window would be pretty amazing nowadays , but if these is even possible …idk

4 Likes

I’ve thought and mentioned the same thing but it is one thing to port an existing emulator to libretro, and quite another to write something like this.

I honestly think something like shader glass turned up to 11 would be a better way to handle it.

1 Like

I have an idea concerning patches, hd packs, etc. Currently retroarch uses the rom name as reference for savestates and patches (e.g ips).

But it would be cool to use the same rom as baseline, change the name in the playlist differently and just apply settings, patches on the name of the playlist (not the rom name)

Means, you have for instance Super Mario 64 in C:\

Entry in Playlist: Rompath: C:\Super Mario 64.z64 Rom name: Super Mario 64

this is the standard version. But if there is an hd pack, ips patch and different core settings, the reference should be the name and not the name of the rom in the rompath:

Entry in Playlist would look as follows Rompath: C:\Super Mario 64.z64 Rom name: Super Mario 64 Remaster

The ips patch would be Super Mario 64 Remaster.ips, the settings would be Super Mario 64 Remaster.opt. But both playlist entries would use the same savestate. However there should be a setting to create a different savestate (for heavy rom hacks).

The benefit of this approach would be to have one original rom which stays unchanged and the user does not need to make copies of this rom

Ok not sure if that is the right place and I am not active user here but maybe it is a good place to ask for a feature. I have been following other topic for years but nothing happened there, I mean this one:

Therefore I would try here, can we please get cheevos feature on Wii port of retroarch? Seriously this console has internet connectivity, and there should be no problem to add cheevos support for at least some cores, I assume 8 and 16 bit consoles + less power consuming arcade boards that work great on Wii should have cheevos implemented for sure.

Can someone please tell me is this the right place to ask for this feature or should I do it somewhere else?

This is a fine place to ask, but we would need to hook networking up on the Wii port first. I don’t know how much work is involved in that.

1 Like

I am not a coder at all but… there are network options in Wii port, even logging for streaming if I am correct, and for sure there is Netplay entry in the menu. I assume they work although I did not test them as I never play online and I do not stream to any platform. Yet, as these options are there and cheevos are missing I assume these network functions actually work in Wii port. So I assume networking has already been hooked up.

First, adding the Manual Texture Sampling option for Dolphin core:

Is there anyone who can be contacted to get information if we can hope to get cheevos on Wii?

It would kind of sucks to get no information for another 2/3 years.

maybe the guys

at first they didn´t even have nintendo wii listed :sweat_smile:

I assume you either did not understand what I’ve said or you do not know what you are talking about. You showed us systems supported, kind of, by RetroAchievements. By what I meant, systems people can develop achievements for. I am talking about completely different thing.

Just to update this topic, I created feature request on retroarch github:

Another request here for Hypseus Singe. Someone earlier mentioned Singe 2, but Hypseus supports all the Daphne, Singe 1 and Singe 2 games now, including the 32bit full overlays, and enhanced games, that Singe 2 introduced.

It would give emulation and simulation of all the available laserdisc games needing only one port.

5 Likes

I think this would be a great core too, we just need to find someone who wants to make it.

In the meantime you could try the WindowCast core to push the output of any window in windows through the retroarch shader pipeline

4 Likes

So I have been using Retro Arch for a while now, and occasionally check to see about an original Xbox console core. I have pretty much every game I own loaded up and play this or that on my computer, but not my Xbox games. Provided there are not many, but I would like to access them without dragging out that box upstairs and digging through whichever one the games are in…is their a core in any progression being worked on for this console?

Many use Retroarch to watch 4:3 videos, I also know that it can be used as an image viewer and music player with the ability to replace in-game music and so on. A great addition to RA’s multimedia capabilities would be to read CBZ, CBR and PDF files. I came across this idea someone posted, it could be used to load manuals, maps and so on.

6 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: [Android] core keeps disappearing