CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

That’s all done already :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love your slot mask presets with my LG C1 but I think you need to thicken up the scanlines. They are barely noticeable.

1 Like

Thanks, which preset or presets are you referring to that have scanlines that are barely noticeable and on what cores is this happening?

Have you tried “CyberLab__Ultimate_Virtual_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_CRT-NP2RTA__ADV.slangp”?

It uses the darkest and thickest scanline type.

You can make the scanlines in any preset more visible/thicker/darker by increasing the GSL Scanline Type value.

You can also try disabling Deconvergence and fiddling around with the beam width.

You can take a look at some of these photos of some real arcade slot mask CRTs that I took recently.

2 Likes

When an NES game is good, it’s really good!

Right click on the image, click Open in New Tab then press F11 for Fullscreen for 4K users. Zoom in until it looks right for 1440p or 1080p users.

CyberLab_NES_Composite_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_for_Core_Blargg_S-Video_Filter.slangp + Core Blargg S-Video Filter

CyberLab_Turbo_Duo_Composite_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_for_CyberLab_Blargg_Video_Filter.slangp + Blargg_NTSC_Turbo_Duo_SNES_PSX_Composite_CyberLab_Special_Edition.filt

CyberLab__Ultimate_Virtual_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_CRT-NP2RTA__ADV.slangp

5 Likes

@e2zippo, @kongmao45678

This is also something you can do to make things less harsh/sharp.

CyberLab__PSX_Composite__ADV.slangp with Mask size changed to 1.

3 Likes

Right click on the image, click Open in New Tab then press F11 for Fullscreen for 4K users. Zoom in until it looks right for 1440p or 1080p users.

CyberLab Le’Sarsh Composite Presets:

CyberLab_Genesis_Composite_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_for_CyberLab_Blargg_Video_Filter.slangp + Blargg_NTSC_Genesis_Composite_CyberLab_Special_Edition.filt

CyberLab_SNES_Composite_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_for_BSNES_Blur_Emulation.slangp

CyberLab__PSX_Composite__ADV.slangp

CyberLab Le’Sarsh Presets:

CyberLab Le’Sarsh S-Video Presets:

CyberLab_Turbo_Duo_S-Video_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_for_CyberLab_Blargg_Video_Filter.slangp + Blargg_NTSC_Turbo_Duo_SNES_PSX_S-Video_CyberLab_Special_Edition.filt

Just wanted to say thanks to @guest.r, @HyperspaceMadness, @Dogway, @aliaspider, @Hyllian and all other shader developers who contributed to HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader and made this all possible.

3 Likes

I know it’s almost a year later but if you’re still interested in this, take a look at my new Le’Sarsh Composite and S-Video Slot Mask Presets and tell me if that’s D-Series like enough for you.

Be sure to use the corresponding Blargg Video Filter presets or Core Options Settings if the Shader Preset filename indicates that they should be used.

You can take a look at these new presets as well as they are much finer than the previous Slot Mask preset I’ve made.

It’s all in the settings so feel free to take a look and let me know if you still need assistance in getting CRT-GUEST-ADVANCE Slot Masks to look and work properly on your display.

Last time you said you were changing the settings and they were not doing anything. In order for them to have any effect, you first need to select a Trinitron mask type (5 through 12) then increase the Slot Mask Dark Pixels and Slot Mask Bright Pixels settings.

For LG OLED TVs you really should be using Mask Layout 1 if you want any mask to look correct in a close-up.

3 Likes

Yes I realized that the “slot” is added via black lines to aperture masks lol. I never knew this since guest added this feature - I thought slot mask strength/width/height applied to changing the “Lottes” mask.

I’ll check them out. I‘be gotten very accustomed to tweaking guests slot mask features but a few weeks ago I noticed I started getting vertical banding (literally out of nowhere) when using slot mask no matter the scaling, etc. It doesn’t happen with your presets however.

1 Like

Hmmm…moire patterns are all about the overlaying, intersecting or interlacing of multiple fine line patterns in an image. If we have many fine patterns in the same small space we can sometimes see the effect. There are several settings and techniques we can use in order to minimize or mitigate the appearance of moire.

Sometimes it requires lighter scanlines, integer scaling, a little noise, the right slot mask setup for the particular screen or resolution used.

The reason why you don’t see moire in my presets is as a result of lots of trial and error, experimentation and research through reading and asking questions.

If using non-integer scale. especially with higher resolution systems, you’re very likely to get some moire if just by using a non-integer scale setting that is off compared to the integer scale setting.

Hi Cyber, I’m on Retroarch 1.12 and there already is a filters folder under Retroarch. Does that mean I do not need to download your Blargg filter presets?

Also, when I copied your shader preset pack to the RetroArch\Shaders\Mega_Bezel_Packs” folder I received some errors messages that some filenames were too long and could not be copied. So I skipped these, so the rest got copied allright. Thing is, I kind of want to make sure they’re all copied. Thanks man.

1 Like

There is a filters folder but up until RetroArch 1.12 (or was it 1.11?) Stable my additional Custom Video Filter Presets were not included in the folder by default.

Technically you don’t because they are now included as part of the RetroArch package, however they have been renamed. I’ll still provide my pack though and all of my examples use the original names.

Yeah, there are some pretty long paths in there and it only gets worse depending on how long the path of your download folder is or where your RetroArch Shader Folder resides.

What I do (in Windows), is open the zip using Windows Explorer then Click on the CyberLab Folder, then right click and Click Copy.

Then I navigate to the RetroArch/Shaders/Mega_Bezel_Packs Folder then Click paste from the ribbon menu or right click then click paste from the right click menu. It works everytime.

I’ve also seen someone use 7-Zip file Explorer to extract the CyberLab folder without it complaining about filenames being too long and it seemed to work but your mileage may vary.

You’re welcome. I appreciate that. I develop these to use myself first and foremost but I share them with the world so that others may have an easier path to a similar experience.

Be sure to check out my new Le’Sarsh Folder which contains variations of my entire 4K_Optimized presets folder.

My latest are the Composite and S-Video Presets in the Console Specific Presets subfolder.

Be sure to use them with the corresponding Blargg video filters suggested by the filenames or BSNES Blur Emulation Setting turned on to have the same magical experience that you see in my screenshots and video examples!

Lastly be sure to give a shout out to @guest.r and @HyperspaceMadness as they are the creators of the main Shaders that these presets manipulate.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback Cyber. I’m aware of those guys as I’ve frequented Duimons HSM mega bezel thread.

I’m currently using Duimon’s presets which are pretty amazing, so not yet sure whether I want to switch over to your shaders. If I can keep his bezels, and add your shaders I might consider it. I did try a few of your shaders today, and it occurred to me the play area is sorta straight, or square. Not with the bend corners one can find in Duimons shaders. I’m sure I need to play around with it some more so perhaps I will do that.

1 Like

Of course!

You don’t have to choose, you can use both at the same time. The setup isn’t that complicated.

That’s just one setting you have to change - Curvature Mode

I do have some slightly curved presets in the MBZ__3__STANDARD_FULL_REFLECTIONS folder for use with @Soqueroeu Mega Bezel TV Backgrounds.

Yeah, you should and feel free to discuss anything else you would like to accomplish as this stuff definitely has a bit of a learning curve but it’s also very rewarding for those who persevere.

Thanks for taking an interest and dropping by, I’ll leave you with some links which might help you integrate my CRT Screen presets with @Duimon’s Graphics presets.

Just recently we were talking about it. Maybe I should add some instructions and a link to the first post.

You can read from this post:

1 Like

I am currently working on revising my presets to use a modified version of @TheNamec’s multi-reference boilerplate. It will be a bit of work, so it is a long way off, but I am intentionally adding in a reference slot for community preset variations.

It might require some effort on Cyber’s part (Consolidating some references so the parameters are all in one shader etc.) but if he is willing, it will be a snap to use his presets with my pack.

I assume @TheNamec’s pack could just as easily use something similar.

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking along the lines of creating a CyberLab Lite Shader Preset Pack containing my favourite presets that I actually use currently.

I’ve also been thinking about creating some presets that pre-integrate and point to some of your presets even if just as an example because this is a question that keeps coming up from time to time.

Along the lines of what I did with @Soqueroeu-TV Mega Bezel TV Backgrounds.

I’m not even sure consolidation is necessary, is it that *params files (which I recently learned don’t even need to be called *.params files) can’t chain to other presets? That might be pretty neat, if a *.params file could have followed the same principles that have been established with simple presets. I see you mentioned that the reference line in the params files needs to be removed or commented out though.

I do have some presets in my pack that are fully consolidated and can be used as a single file. But aren’t all 3rd party HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader compatible presets chained to some other preset anyway, i.e the Base Presets?

I just love how powerful and elegant at the same time the Simple Presets feature is and have fully embraced it with my interweaving of presets across multiple folders. A nice bonus is that it help to keep my pack as a pack, which is what I would like and makes it a little harder to plagiarize.

Currently, there are some of my presets included in the HSM Mega Bezel Examples package, which are all single file.

At some point, hopefully in the near future, I would like to work on this subset of presets that are are tried, tested and pre-integrated with @Duimon’s Mega Bezel Graphics once they are correctly installed.

Let’s see if I can do this by the end of the year, but I might start by doing at least one example within a much shorter period of time.

You yourself can work on including some of your presets that point to presets in my package in the Mega_Bezel_Packs folder.

This one right here might be a good starting point:

Hello. I want a pixel-free image with a reflected frame and a soft image, namely hd soft. I am aware that you are trying for the original image, but I want a softer and clearer image like xbrz or hx4x inside the reflected frame. Which shader is best for me?

1 Like

No problem, sounds like you might be interested in my CyberLab__RGB-Smooth__PVM-Edition, Cyberlab__RGB-Sharp__PVM-EDITION or CyberLab__Computer_Monitor-Smooth presets.

You can also take a look at my new Le’Sarsh Folder. They’re all softer than my previous presets.

My CyberLab_Arcade-Sharp__PVM-Edition also makes use of some nice upscaling.

If you want to add upscaling to any of my existing presets, you can enable ScaleFX and increase the HSM_CORE_RES_SAMPLING to 300 or higher.

Feel free to let me know if this helps or if you need any additional assistance.

Lastly, you can also lower the Mask Strength but then you might also have to adjust the Gamma_C or Post CRT Brightness to compensate for the increase in brightness.

Hi Cyber or someone else, what shader preset and Blargg Filter Preset combination should I use if I wanted my retrogaming most closely to resemble the CRT’s from yesteryear? Focusing primarily on arcade gaming for now? I tried a few combinations and there are some nice ones, but curious to know if there’s a consensus here.

And by the way Cyber, I tried to rename one of Duimon’s presets by changing the path of that first line and that totally worked so thanks.

1 Like

To me this is all subjective. I’ve posted several screenshots over the past few months showing whatever latest preset and filter combination I’ve been using.

It’s as easy as seeing which presets are used in one of those screenshots then trying it.

The Blargg Video Filter presets generally do the same thing, just with varying levels of resolution and sharpness, so again, you can use whichever you find looks good to you.

For Arcade Games, I don’t use any Blargg Filters nor Composite like settings.

You can probably start with CyberLab__Ultimate__Virtual__Slot__Mask__CRT-1P2RTA or CyberLab__Ultimate__Virtual__Slot__Mask__IV_OLED__CRT-NP2RTA

Also, CyberLab__Arcade-Sharp__ADV or Cyberlab__RGB-Sharp__PVM-Edition__ADV

If you look not too far back you’ll see the preset combinations I’ve been recently using for Arcade Games. Be sure to also check out the Le’Sarsh variations.

Also remember that my IV_OLED presets are not exclusively for OLED TVs. Depending on the Subpixel Layout of your TV, you might need to change the Mask Layout from 1 to 0.

I don’t really aim to closely match any particular CRT in my presets but I do try to create presets which make the games look great with general CRT like characteristics.

You can think of my presets as imaginary TV Models that I just made up in my head.

CyberLab Le’Sarsh Presets:

You can find more like this in one place if you look through the first post.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot man!,ill try them asap

1 Like