CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

Hi, I was wondering if you still had that grungy late 70s early 80s RF style preset still kicking around. Occasionally I want to relive my childhood of an nes/snes with crappy rf connection on an old tv

2 Likes

You mean these?

These may not work properly with the current HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader but you can open up almost any of my current presets and manually add these settings until you get what you’re looking for. You can try it directly on an existing preset file or better yet, within the game in the Shader Parameters Menu. My RGB-Sharp PVM Edition preset is closest to my older presets that these Old TV Shaders were originally based on but I’m sure you can also get great or even better results using the more up to date PVM Edition presets in the package.

Alternatively, you can take any of my new presets, then head to the GTU Section and press the Start button or Enter Key on each of the Settings in that section. That alone should give you a nice soft, smeary looking foundation.

You can make the image even worse by heading down to GDV Section and doing the same to the Horizontal Sharpness as well as the setting directly below it. Followed by adding a little Noise in the final section of the Parameters. The last thing you might want to do is increase the Halation a little bit or a lot bit and you might even want to add either Guest’s or HSM’s rolling scanlines to finish the whole mess! Lol

I’d love to see what you come up with so feel free to share your settings and screenshots!

2 Likes

Hi HyperspaceMadness,

Thank you for helping out. :slight_smile:

I have tried 3 different solutions now, and they all seems to be fine. :+1:

Can someone tell me the technical difference between the solutions posted here?

Solution 1: Viewport zoom

Solution 2:

• Retroarch Settings:

• Settings > Video > Scaling > Integer Scale = Off

• Settings > Video > Scaling > Integer Overscale = Off (up to your setup)

• Settings > Video > Scaling > Aspect Ratio = Full

• HSM Settings:

• [CRT SCREEN SCALING]

• Int Scale Mode - Off | ShortAxies | BothAxes = 1

• Int Scale Multiple Offset = 1

Solution 3.

1. Set Global Graphics Brightness to 0.
  2. Then under CRT Screen Scaling set Int. Scale Mode to 0 and Non-Integer Scale % to 100.
  3. Be sure to use the presets in the MBZ_2_Performance_No_Reflections folder.

I can see that Cyber mentions that the 3’rd option might be more correct. Does that mean that even without integer scaling, the picture will still show proper aspect ratio, and scanlines etc.? Cyber why do I have to use the non-reflection shader to use this trick, just curious

BTW: Thank you very much also c9f5fdda06 and Cyber for helping out.

2 Likes

I would say that the most straight forward thing is to:

1. Use the standard HSM setup instructions which includes
    • Settings > Video > Scaling > Aspect Ratio = Full
    • Settings > Video > Scaling > Integer Scale = Off
    • This will get the shader to use the entire Retroarch window, this is normally what you want with the Mega Bezel because the sides are filled with graphics
  2. Set shader parameters:
    • Global Graphics Brightness = 0
    • Int. Scale Mode = 0
    • Non-Integer Scale % to 100.

This will result in having some reflections on the left and right of the screen and your screen will take up the full height.

I think this was suggested because if you were not wanting the reflections --because they were offscreen-- then the no reflection uses less GPU cycles

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. :slight_smile:

Everything is set up very nice now, except vertical games like 1941, and 19xx etc. Scanlines and aspect ratio is completely destroyed. I have tried changing a few settings which sounded like they might have something to do with the vertical aspect, but to no avail.

What need I change to make vertical games appear as good as the normal (horizontal) ones?

Correct picture (horizontal game)

Wrong picture (vertical game)

1 Like

Lookin good!

Take a look at the setup instructions, I just updated them recently, you need to turn on advanced options ui and turn off the allow core rotation, then do rotation inside the shader parameters with rotate crt.

I am working on a slightly longer term fix to this which should hopefully rotate automatically, but you will still have to turn off the allow core rotation.

2 Likes

I have tried the recommendations in the topic you are linking to. When you do this the screen orientation is correct, and it seems the aspect ratio is also maintained. But there is a problem with the colors/saturation/brightness. My guess is that it may have something to do with the bezel/frame and the shading of those, which seem to reflect differently on a vertical game. Especially on the right side of the gameplay area.

This is at least evident on Cyber’s “arcade sharp 1440p PVM Edition” shader.

It may be difficult to see from a phone capture…

Notice especially the right side of the screen. The colors are oversaturated, and the brightness is too high.

ADDED: I have found that if I change the “Int Scale Multiple Offset” it has an effect on the colors. Normal setting (0) produces the strange saturation, but increasing it to 1 normalises the colors, but on the other hand makes the image overlap the screen.

1 Like

Are you having this same issue with the presets in the performance folder?

You can also try some of my presets in the 1080p Optimized Folder and see if it’s still happening.

Yes. For some (not all) shaders, it seems to be affected by “Int Scale Mode”. When I enable “Int Scale Mode” on your shaders, Cyber, it always produces the strange saturation effect. The same happens with some of the presets from the Mega Bezel pack, while others behave as they should. Why they differentiate, I have no idea.

On DoDonPachi it is VERY evident.

1 Like

What’s the resolution of your display again? This discoloration issue could be caused by many different things. One that comes to mine is the scanline and mask alignment and interaction with your display’s RGB subpixel arrangement being less than optimal for the mask settings that I’m using in some of my presets.

I have no idea what this setting does as I’ve never used it. These scanline and mask pattern are very sensitive to spacing and alignment with your display’s subpixel arrangement. If you set Int Scale Mode to 0 and the display gets smaller, you could end up with similar issues. That setting was set to 1 not by chance.

Is it that you’re seeing these anomolies with the Integer Scale Mode set to 1? I’m asking this because I’m seeing the bezel and reflections in your vertical pics whereas before we were advising you of settings that would disable the Bezel then allow you to expand the display area.

If you’ve now decided that you’re keeping the Bezel on, then you might need to at least set the Int. Scale Mode back to 1 or you may even want to try 2 for vertical games and see how things look.

Wow, that’s super weird! Sound like an interaction with the graphics card, what graphics card are you using?

Can you take a screenshot? With retroarch, or with Windows so we can see better?

1 Like

Hi, I’m new to Retroarch, just found out about shaders and presets. Your preset looks quite interesting. I wanted to ask if it’s possible to remove the bezel and frame and maximize the screen space?

1 Like

This post above was to try to answer that question :slight_smile: Maybe that’s what you are looking for.

3 Likes

This is what you will get with these settings.

As you can see the screen real estate is indeed maximized.

One thing for people using my presets. Most of my presets are set up to use the automatic super wide screen mode. This means that when you do something like this, the Background “Scale X” parameter will slide the left and right halves of the background out so you can line up things like logos with the new bezel size.

3 Likes

Greetings @Rex0! I appreciate the appreciation of my shader presets.

Now why would you want to do a thing like that and ruin all of those beautiful real-time reflections that @HyperspaceMadness worked so assiduously to implement?

Do you know that the size and thickness of the bezel are fully customizable as well as the zoom of the viewable area? There are also my presets in the Performance folder, which forgo the reflections but keep the bezel for added performance.

I know to each his own but I like to honour the creator of this wonderful shader as there would be no CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack without @HyperspaceMadness’s awesome HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader!

2 Likes

Thank you all for the responses! I agree that the bezel, frame, shadows, reflections all look really good and I might get drawn to them later on. But for now I just want to use the shader presets without any additional stuff if that’s possible.

1 Like

@Cyber I followed @HyperspaceMadness instructions with you non-reflection presets and this is the result

How to eliminate the horizontal lines?

2 Likes

So, you either want to get rid of scanlines altogether, or you are talking about horizontal lines which are artifacts of uneven Scanline scaling.

To get rid of scanlines altogether adjust the Interlacing trigger res down until they disappear.

To deal with uneven Scanline scaling, you need to turn on the integer scale parameter, if the game screen shrinks and you would rather it be a bit bigger than the viewport then reduce the int scale border size to a negative value.

3 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness I meant just the artifacts of uneven Scanline scaling.

Ok so as per your instructions, I used the following settings just now:

• Global Graphics Brightness = 0
  • Int. Scale Mode = 1
  • Non-Integer Scale % to 100.

At Int scale border min height % = -16.50

2 Likes

But when I set Int scale border min height % = -17.00

Such huge difference at the very next value. How to fix this?

1 Like