DMG Shader

Is it possible to disable the Game Boy overlay for this shader? I love the look, but would prefer to use it without the overlay

If it’s the colors you like, you can take the palette image from console-border/resources/dmg-palette.png and rename/overwrite gameboy/resources/palette.png.

I hope it’s not inappropriate to revive this old topic, but I wanted to bring attention to something that perhaps several other users would appreciate when using the handheld/console-border shaders.

I’m trying to figure out how to properly edit the border PNG files for handheld consoles, all of which seem to have a glare/reflection effect on the upper right corner, which in my case I find very distracting. I tried to delete this part of the image with a simple image editor, and that worked to clean up the game picture, but it also caused the palette colors to extend above and below the console image like this: https://i.imgur.com/3n0hOrx.png

Perhaps other people feel the same way and would like border PNGs without the glass reflection effect added to the repository.

Sorry for reviving this thread again, but I’m with you in that I find the glare/reflection extremely distracting. My gf edited the files to remove the glare. It’s not perfect as you can see the spot where it was cut if you open the file, but for some reason you can’t see the cut during actual gameplay as it’s too subtle. Some of them I found without glare already and the others are edited. I don’t remember which so I’ll post them all anyway.

1 Like

Those are great, but no love for the 2 Atari Lynx systems?

I love the GBA art style though and wish they could all have that kind of art style rather than an actual photo of the handheld

We just edited the ones present on the libretro repository. I haven’t checked for additional handhelds.

Yeah, I also love that artstyle. You can ask the author if he’s up to doing a version for the remaining handhelds. Check the credits on this thread to find him: Handheld Border Shaders

I assuming it’s okay to bump this as this is the defacto thread for this shader? I would like to use this on my phone which means I don’t need/have space for the bezel. Is there a version of this with just the screen as it’s the best emulation of the DMG display I’ve seen.

Yes, all the handheld shaders are available without the borders. The presets with the borders are in the handheld/console-border directory. The presets without borders are directly in handheld.

I can’t find the matching shader to this one in that root handheld folder. Reading above, @hi-ban appears to have specifically tweaked the actual display itself and not just added a border to an existing one. It looks better than all of the non-border presets in my opinion.

Hi. First of all great work with GB shaders but I need help. I installed RA on my PC Windows, everything works fine, beautifull GB shaders, I love it. But when I installed RA on my iPhone SE I can’t use handheld shader from catalogue console border/dmg-2x.glslp and so on. When I’m choosing that shaders, I only see GameBoy borders png with yellow screen, without game view. But I hear game’s running. Other shaders from catalogue shaders works, I can change colors etc.

Is there any chance to fix this? Or maybe it’s about some settings issue? I fight with it for few days now and I stuck with it. PLEASE help. I just wanna play with this beautiful DMG screen :slight_smile: like this one below

Does the regular gameboy shader work? that is, the one that’s not in the console-border shaders?

Yes, but not all of them. For example gameboy.glslp, gameboy-light.glslp, gamebot-pocket.glspl doesn’t work. Other shaders work fine like gb-palette-dmg.glslp, light, pocket and so on.

The wird thing is that when I’m choosing from console-border / dmg-2x.glslp and up --> gb-pocket-alt-7x.glslp I don’t see gameplay, only clear screen and I hear game is running.

Is it possible that Iphone SE is too old for these shaders ? :slight_smile: And I run iOS 13,6

Right. The first few all use the same shader code, while the ones that work use different code, so that’s to be expected.

It’s probably not a problem with the phone being too old, exactly, but just a driver/GPU behavior that would have to be worked around. Unfortunately, I don’t have one of these devices to test with, so it’s not likely that we could pin it down.

I would suggest trying to use one of the latest nightly builds for iOS and use the Metal driver to run slang shaders. Those are typically more predictable.

Thank you for your help. I’ll try to use nightly builds. It’s weird that I can use all of these cool shaders on my PC but not on my phone :frowning:

Anyway, thank you once again.

It’s unfortunately not that weird. Mobile GPUs do strange stuff all the time, especially with differences between desktop OpenGL and the mobile GLES. Our GLSL shaders frequently contain a patchwork of fixes and workarounds for this stuff.

First I thought I’ll try RetroArch on my old iPhone SE, then if it’s working, especialy GB classic shader, then I’ll buy bigger phone( iOS or Android) and pimp/ custom it to most acurate GB DMG classic look with my overlay. I know people use RA on handhels systems but I need it on my phone. For many months I used GBA4IOS with my own custom skin

But when I saw RA GB shader dmg-4x.glslp I fell in love with it and this is my goal to achive it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Metal doesn’t work too :frowning:

does it fail the same way?

Unfortunately yes. Maybe I’ll try with newest version of iOS later.

hey sorry to bother you do you still have these? the forum has them uploaded as jpgs which get rid of the transparency in the original .pngs