Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

Here is a new WIP.

The Coleco Adam!

I thought this was going to be pretty funky, until I realized there was nothing forcing me to add the expansion unit, the keyboard has all the detail that is needed.

This keyboard scale and layout let me fudge things just enough to make it look complete, even with the missing keys. (I think it’s very cool.)

I have mockups done for all the remaining systems. The Adam and the Epoch Super Cassette Vision will be pretty straight forward. The others will be quite divorced form reality, having much in common with my VTech CreatiVision and VTech Socrates.

One thing is certain… they will be much better than the nothing that is available now. :grin:

As I have said, when I am finished with my essential list I will be spending however long it takes to update the Batocera decorations. This will include creating some new graphics for standalone systems that RA doesn’t yet support.

This will take some time. :wink:

When I return I will be doing a complete restructure of my presets, doing my best to make use of @TheNamec’s reference boilerplate. This change will create a dependency on RA 1.11.0 or later, but such is the nature of progress. :wink:

Hopefully we can all benefit from what @TheNamec and I learn from my adventure.

9 Likes

Eagerly waiting for you feedback on the megareference boiler plate! :muscle:

5 Likes

You might have to add one more thing to your todo list. :wink: :wink:

If memory serves me right I remember reading something about you mentioning to add a github page with lua scripts to get all those hard to run systems working and booting in retroarch.

3 Likes

It is on my list. I just want to collect/create all that are needed for the systems I have done graphics for.

Thanks for paying attention. :wink:

5 Likes

Here is the latest on the Coleco Adam.

I have yet to do a serious OCD pass but I should have it in the repo very soon.

5 Likes

Duimon_MB_Logo

The Duimon_Mega_Bezel repo and release are updated to v0.9.6.0.

Changes:

• Added the Coleco Adam.

The link to the current release is in the first post. Installation/Update instructions are near the end of the second.

Only 4 left on the list. :grin:

8 Likes

On the PSP shader, what is the parameter to remove the vertical yellow streaks in the screen, please? They look quite authentic, but I think I would like to remove that element for my personal use. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Can I see a screenshot? I’m not sure what you are referring to.

@Drybonz

The PSP preset is using a CRT shader instead of an LCD. You can turn the internal resolution up in the core and the scanlines will get really small, or…

…turn the scanlines and mask off by adding these lines of text to the end of a game, core, or content directory preset.

HSM_INTERLACE_TRIGGER_RES = "100.000000"
HSM_FAKE_SCANLINE_MODE = "1.000000"
shadowMask = "-1.000000"
2 Likes

Sorry… that was probably a bad description on my part. I want to eliminate the vertical lighting effects and just have the grid.

1 Like

The only thing I can come up with, without getting rid of the scanlines out right, is

[Core Res Sampling]
    Scanline Dir Multiplier: 200
    Opposite Dir Multiplier: 200

What you are seeing is moire, and unintentional.

I am not seeing it on my display at 4K or 1080.

What @hgoda90 suggested is essentially the same as turning up the internal resolution.

What I am noticing is that the screen is larger and more of the console is off screen. Have you adjusted the non-integer scale?

I can’t guarantee how this will affect moire. (I am using fake integer scaling.) In this case I would turn off scanlines and masks like I suggested.

2 Likes

@Drybonz’ screenshot is 1440p. So depending on what resolution the graphics, CRT effect and scaling settings were optimized for, those same settings may not work optimally at other resolutions, especially 1440p. So the scale and CRT Mask setting might need to be adjusted to something more appropriate for 1440p.

For example, you can use Mask 10, size 1. Then the Non-Integer Scale might need to be refactored for 1440p. You can temporarily switch integer scale mode to 1 then adjust the integer scale offset until you get a scale percentage that eliminates the moire pattern, then switch back to non-integer scale and try to match the integer scale percentage.

Lastly, instead of increasing the number of scanlines, you can increase the scanline gamma which would lighten the scanlines a bit which can help to get rid of that last bit of moire.

The concept of a one size fits all when it comes to these things and different resolutions still needs a bit of work to get right. It’s not a matter of simply adjusting the mask size at different resolutions, the mask types should also be automatically adjusted or have an auto setting which would switch to an optimal mask for the different resolutions while maintaining a similar TVL.

The scale might also be able to automatically adjusted when using integer scale or fake integer because it doesn’t seem to remain constant across all resolutions.

1 Like

The reason this might get rid of the issue is that when you increase the scanline multiplier it goes over the interlacing threshold limit which turns off scanlines.

3 Likes

I think @Drybonz is using the PSP_DREZ shader preset, which uses MBZ__3__STD__LCD-GRID__DREZ-PSP-480x272.slangp, and has Viewport Zoom set to 110.

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. My monitor is, in fact, 1440. The specific shader I’m using is the PSP-[DREZ]-[Native]-[ADV]-[Guest]. I’m going to read through these suggestions and see if I can tweak out the moire lines. If anyone else has other suggestions, let me know. Thanks!

2 Likes

This shader is only intended for use with increased internal resolution.

Try the non DREZ version. There is no good reason to use the DREZ if you aren’t increasing the internal core resolution.

I’ll have to give the DREZ a spin at 1080 and see what I see.

3 Likes

@Drybonz

Try this preset.

#reference ":/shaders/Mega_Bezel_Community/Duimon-Mega-Bezel/Presets/Advanced/SONY_PSP_DREZ/PSP-[DREZ]-[Native]-[ADV]-[Guest].slangp"
HSM_NON_INTEGER_SCALE = "75.370117"
HSM_DEVICE_FOLLOW_LAYER = "1.000000"
HSM_DEVICE_SCALE = "119.799698"
HSM_DEVICE_POS_Y = "-5.450003"

This is faking integer at 1440.

1 Like

Ah… I see. Is that the case for all the DREZ presets?

2 Likes

I switched to the non-DREZ version and that did the trick. Looks great and no moire.

Before that, though, I did try the preset you pasted, above… it looked better on the DREZ, but instead of many small lines of moire, there were maybe two wide ones.

However, the non-DREZ version has solved this for me. Thanks, everyone, for the help. On a side note, thanks for all these many shaders to play with. This has really been a nice boost for my love of emulation and gaming nostalgia.

edit Looking at this now, I remember why I had used the DREZ. The non-DREZ version was lines and the DREZ looked like a grid.

4 Likes