Exodus' CRT TV's Overlays Collection (With Day and Night support)

I wasn’t planning on doing more than 2 overlays, but I realized that it is a very entertaining thing to do :smiley: so I’ll be posting them all in just one topic.

The idea behind my overlays is to simulate some of our old TV’s while filling the whole 16:9 space, but keeping it simple and clean.

If you have any good quality picture of a TV, please provide it, maybe we can build a modest, but nice archive of TV’s for Retroarch :wink:

*The screenshots attached inside the post do not represent the final look of the Overlays since the thumbs are resized and the scanlines look wrong.

Samsung an Sony Trinitron FLAT models

These are for 1080p, fullscreen, 16:9 and simulates a FLAT 4:3 CRT TV

Video config for Trinitron: X Pos. 320 Y Pos. 51 Ratio Width: 1286 Ratio Height: 965 Shader: crt_Aperture, Sony Wega with S-video or any similar

Video config for Samsung: X Pos. 287 Y Pos. 19 Ratio Width: 1343 Ratio Height: 1007 Shader: crt_Aperture, Sony Wega with S-video or any similar

DON’T FORGET TO SET “OVERLAY OPACITY” TO "1.0"

DOWNLOAD LINK

Standard FLAT TV - Sony Wega Style

This one is 1080p, fullscreen, 16:9 and simulates a FLAT 4:3 CRT TV (Sony Wega Style) it also has 3 options available for use during day and/or night.

Video config for 1080p: X Pos. 277 Y Pos. 36 Ratio Width: 1368 Ratio Height: 1026 Shader: crt_Aperture, Sony Wega with S-video or any similar

DOWNLOAD FILES

Standard Classic CRT

This one is 1080p, fullscreen, 16:9 and goes perfectly with Shader CRT Lottes, it also has 2 options available for use during day and night.

Video config: X Pos. 273 Y Pos. 25 Ratio Width: 1379 Ratio Height: 1034 Shader: CRT Lottes or Geom

DOWNLOAD FILES

Classic 80’s Television

Thanks to @Kondorito and @ljubinko

This one is a classic 80’s CRT overlay for 1080p, fullscreen, 16:9, it also has 2 options available for use during day and night :wink:

Video config: X Pos. 304 Y Pos. 132 Ratio Width: 1022 Ratio Height: 767 Shader: CRT Lottes with warpX 0.03 - warpY 0.07

DOWNLOAD FILES

Toshiba FLAT model

This is for 1080p, fullscreen, 16:9 and simulates a FLAT 4:3 Toshiba CRT TV

Video config: X Pos. 289 Y Pos. 26 Ratio Width: 1343 Ratio Height: 1007 Shader: crt_Aperture, Sony Wega with S-video or any similar

Download Link

Just Speakers Overlay

For all of you that just want an overlay to fill the sides of your screen, it’s meant to be used with 4:3 Aspect ratio and it has a small border to make it look more tv like.

Please use “Analog Shader Pack version 3”/Professional monitors/Sony BVM

Download file

Enjoy and comment if you have any question

If this is of use for you, you can buy a me a cofee

:slight_smile:

24 Likes

Nice!

I never had a flat CRT.

Thank you very much exodus123456. :slight_smile:

I updated the designs with some minor changes, please, if you downloaded, do it again and delete old files :blush:

1 Like

OK, so, the settings I use in order to get “4 : 3 - like” display on 2560x1440 monitor, is :

custom_viewport_width = “1792” custom_viewport_height = “1435” custom_viewport_x = “382” custom_viewport_y = “-20”

Which is weird because according to aspect ratio calculators, the proper height for a width of 1792 should be 1344 (but it does not fit the overlay then). I don’t understand why, but my settings work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I’m liking these very much. I have been using the ones you released last week. They are so nice that I don’t really need to bother with set ups for different systems. These work well with most, if not all, with a few tweaks here and there for different specifications.

I’m glad you like them!

The idea came to me some weeks ago when I was playing around with some TV pictures and realized that I could fit a 4:3 TV inside a 16:9 ratio screen by filling the sides with the speakers and it really looked nice, so since then I have been trying to edit and improve some images that I have found in Google in order to recreate the most common TV’s from the 90’s and 00’s and the result has been pretty cool.

For now I think that Classic CRT and Samsung Flat are the best overlays because they can be used with almost any system, but soon I’ll be working on a 80’s TV design for use with Atari and similar cores too :smiley:

I just wish that there were more good quality pictures of TV’s :frowning:

3 Likes

I know me to! There is a image service called “shutterstock” that have ALOT of CRT Tv images that are extremely god quality but they charge for this and the price is ridiculous!

**This image is PERFECT to create an overlay for 80’sgames **

but it cost $20 usd!!! :frowning:

I bet some nice retro TV borders/overlays can be found without paying for it.

Wrong thread sorry…

I found the same image in this news article. Maybe you can use this one?

Fernand78, here is overlay with this image for 16:10 users not perfect but ok.

1 Like

Thanks!!

I would love to have the original picture to edit it and improve it tough since the internal borders are very uneven and the screen does not looks like it belongs in the “frame”.

I’ll see if I can do something with it anyway, can you please point to the topic or user that shared it?

Here you go exodus:

5 Likes

You are great @Kondorito THANK YOU!!!

I’ll get to work on this in order to prepare a couple of overlays to use with older cores like Atari !

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

2 Likes

exodus, i do it fast trial and error, but if you can improve it post overlay here i appreciate that, sorry for my english.

1 Like

Dear friend do not worry, the most important thing is that thanks to you and kondorito we now have the image we were looking for :smiley:

Do you need any special resolution for me to consider when doing the overlay?

Cheers!

1 Like

I would love to see a 1080p version :slight_smile:

As someone who grew up with a gray flat-screen CRT in his living room, the Trinitron overlay’s gonna give me quite the nostalgia trip (even though my TV was from Panasonic). Just one question: how do I install it? I’m kinda new to RetroArch (I’ve already downloaded the zip file, but I’m not sure what to do next).