Handheld Border Shaders

Hi, definitely, it seems to be a scaling issue : I have tried to play with Video filters (dmg-x2 / dmg-x3 / etc.) and shader scales (3 / 4 / 5) and I could have something sharper but too zoomed. Anyway, impossible to find the good combo. Given the fact that I have overheating in any shader scenarios, I think that just a simple overlay is wiser for battery and device longevity. I really thank you for your patience and kind help during this issue.

These shaders are not too heavy, but are not light either. How many FPS do you get in fast-forward with the DMG shader enabled for example?

Try your presets on another computer to rule out if itā€™s specific to your preset or if itā€™s a driver issue with the GPD XD.

New version using auto scaling made by nfp0, also a fix he found for GB shaders resizing at different scales.
Beware of that and donā€™t overwrite the old folder with the new one to avoid confusion.

The new scaling method allows to use only 1 preset file, and from Retroarch 1.11.0, it also gives a wider choice of multipliers.

-For shaders using the GameBoy style dot matrix (GB, GB Pocket, Super Vision), go to the ā€œShader Parametersā€ and change ā€œVideo Scaleā€ to the multiplier size you want to use.
It can show some left over pixels when you downsize it, but go back to the main shader menu and do ā€œApply Changesā€, that should refresh and clean it.

-For the other shaders using the LCD shader, after having it loaded scroll down to lcd-grid-v2.slang pass and change the scale that should be on 3 or 4x to any other multiplier size you want, then hit ā€œApply Changesā€ at that menu page top.

-The Game Gear shader is still using different files for different sizes as it is non square, and gives better results by letting RA handle that kind of resizing.

5 Likes

Yeah, since this update removes of a lot of now useless presets (and probably now incompatible too), itā€™s best to delete the folder and just use the new one. There should be only one preset of each. Different scale variants are not needed anymore.

Iā€™ll add a fake parameter with a description on how to change scale on the LCD shaders so that users can easily change it.

1 Like
2 Likes

The gb-dmg-4x and gb-pocket-4x etc. are really the only shaders I have found that look like how I remember the GameBoy and GameBoy Pocket since they apply the dot matrix mostly to the content itself and not on the white/empty backgrounds.

Those shaders come with a border though. Is there a way to have only the shader and not the border?

The easiest way to do it is to just reduce the number of shader passes by 1 (the last pass is the one that adds the border)

1 Like

They donā€™t do that if set correctly.

https://postimg.cc/jL89KF0P

Yeah, I think that is the one I am using (gb-pocket-4x). It looks phenomenal in my opinion. With the drop shadows and all. I didnā€™t find one that comes close. I donā€™t care much about the border but the shader itself is awesome.

I installed the updated preset and notice that some of these donā€™t have a scale option. The pocket high-contrast does for example, but the color and gba presets.

EDIT: Nevermind, i figured it out. Supposed to use the scaling under shader settings.

@Arviel Out of curiosity (as I wrote the instruction on the shader parameters), did you understand which of the shader scales is the correct one to change?

EDIT: I noticed just now that the description is on Libretroā€™s repository but still not here on @Tatsuya79ā€™s version.
@Tatsuya79 Can you add it to your version so that itā€™s clearer for users where they should change scale? Itā€™s a bit hard to know the correct shader scale to change otherwise.
Hereā€™s the pull request Iā€™m talking about: https://github.com/libretro/slang-shaders/pull/317

I figured it out because one of the shaders said to change the setting on the ā€œpreviousā€ page and sort of went from there.

Sure, but I mean which one of the shader scales did you change. There are multiple passes.
Youā€™re supposed to change the scale of the LCD shader pass.

I only changed this one. From 4x to 8x.

You did good. Thatā€™s the correct one.

I was afraid some people might change the wrong one, which causes the picture to be incorrectly rendered, even though itā€™s not immediately obvious. The problem is the wrong shader scale still scales the picture, so the user might think they changed the correct one when they didnā€™t, and they might keep playing with a botched picture.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m doing something wrong but gg.slangp does not scale with the border after changing 4x to 5x for example.

Default (4x)

5x

@Hari-82 Unfortunately, you cannot change the scale of non-square pixel consoles (such as the GameGear) on the RetroArch interface.
This happens because the scale value in the interface applies similarly to the X and Y direction, but non-square pixel consoles like the GameGear need different scale values for X and Y so that the picture is correctly stretched.

Thereā€™s a workaround though. You can manually set the scale you want on the gg.slangp file.
Thereā€™s a section on the file that looks like this:

shader0 = "../shaders/lcd-cgwg/lcd-grid.slang"
filter_linear0 = "false"
wrap_mode0 = "clamp_to_border"
scale_type_x0 = "source"
scale_x0 = "4.800000"
scale_type_y0 = "source"
scale_y0 = "4.000000"

Change the scale_y0 value to the scale you want, but make sure to multiply that value by 1.2 and set that on scale_x0. So for example, if you want a scale of 5x you set:

scale_y0 = "5.0"

and then multiply 5 by 1.2 (5 X 1.2 = 6), so you set scale_x0 to 6:

scale_x0 = "6.0"
3 Likes

That worked!

that means that should I save the preset as a non-simple otherwise It is going to revert back after an update right? Or can I just add those parameters in a simple preset?

EDIT. instead of changing the gg.slangp I created a copy of it and renamed gg-5x.slangp with the new parameters so that updates are not going to overwrite it.

1 Like

Yeah, making a copy of it is a good idea. I donā€™t think a simple preset would work here. Simple presets only work if all you change are shader parameters. Shader scales are not considered parameters.

1 Like

Thereā€™s already GameGear-06x.slangp in the pack, I kept the individual size presets for this one.