Hari's 1080p Shader's Presets & Screenshots

Update: 08/02/2024

Hello everybody!

TLDR__ON_____________________

Download my presets here

Get latest release of guest.r’s shaders HERE .

Pack of presets for 1080p native resolution displays.

Integer scaling -> ON

To install: Simply extract the “hari” folder and place it anywhere in your Retroarch main folder, but for easy of use I suggest to place it either in shaders_slang or in the main shader’s directory.

Retroarch main folder/shaders/hari/

or

Retroarch main folder/shaders/shaders_slang/hari/

Have fun!

TLDR__OFF____________________

As per title, those are the shaders presets that I currently use, I use them on a 24", 1080p desktop monitor that I keep fairly close to me (50/70 cm), with few simple overlays to fill up the screen.

Those presets are made to be used on a 1080p native resolution monitor.

This “use case” can be very narrow but maybe it can still be useful to someone! if you are playing on a native 1080p desktop monitor (or tv?) maybe this can help or maybe can be a starting point for your own presets!

Integer scaling is highly recommended with most of my presets:

Settings -> Video -> Scaling -> Integer Scaling -> ON

The reason to use Integer scaling is due to unwanted moire effect that un-even scanlines can produce when Integer Scaling is turned off. Also, without Integer scaling, pixels lose their original ratio (square) and can be deformed, generating, sometimes, weird effects.

If brightness is too much/too low try to increase/decrease Post Brightness, this is not the proper way to do it but its a simple way to adjust it, you can find it in:

Quick Menu -> Shaders -> Shader Parameters -> scroll to the very bottom (or just wrap around and go up : )

if you feel that the game-screen is too small for you try to turn on overscale:

Settings -> Video -> Scaling -> Integer Scale Overscale -> ON

I personally do not use much the overscale option but in some situation can be a good way to fill up the screen.

Those presets do not aim to replicate any particular analog TV set/monitor/connection, they are just tailored to my taste and most important to my 1080p monitor.

All the shader’s presets in this pack are basically revolving around only 2 main presets: one for guest’s advance and one for guest’s ntsc shaders. This will make the process of updating/refining/modifing very easy.

To install:

Simply extract the “hari” folder and place it anywhere in your Retroarch main folder, but for easy of use I suggest to place it either in shaders_slang or in the main shader’s directory.

Retroarch_main_folder/shaders/hari/

or

Retroarch_main_folder/shaders/shaders_slang/hari/

--------------------Important--------------------

you need to have the latest guest.r’s shaders: it can be found HERE .

--------------------Important--------------------

Comments and suggestions at Libretro Forum post

Shaders used:

Guest's Advance [crt-guest-advanced.slangp]
Guest's NTSC [crt-guest-advanced-ntsc.slangp]
Grade [grade.slangp]
Scale fx + aa [scalefx+rAA+aa-fast.slangp]
XBR LVL2 [xbr-lv2.slangp]
XBRZ 4X Linear [4xbrz-linear.slangp]
smaa linear [smaa+linear.slangp]

Special Thanks to guest.r and his wonderful work and to all the libretro’s shader community!

15 Likes

That’s some nice work indeed. I know aperture setups are always a challenge, but it seems it’s been mastered very well.

Yeah, for slotmask/TATE and stuff it’s sometimes best to use it without scanlines, because it simply needs more resolution.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot!

Yes, 1080p have limitations and we need to play around them but can still produce nice results, especially with your shaders!

Happy new year eve! :partying_face:

3 Likes

I only tested this game. I don’t know if this would occur on 3d games. Game: Super Boss Gaiden Console: Snes

Those 2 presets are especially made for ps1, and dreamcast in mind (with upscaled interna resolution) not really good for other 8/16 bit consoles like snes.

For snes, megadrive and similar stick with one of the first 8 presets

this with GUEST ADV - A

this one with XBRZ 4 - No Scans - SHARP

2 Likes

Great. Just wanted to make sure that the issue was not something associated with the shader present.

1 Like

Thanks to try my presets!

Very nice! Reminds me of the high res, vivid arcade CRTs!

1 Like

Big update (check first post), overall change on structure and organization, redesign of all presets plus added 3 Megabezel presets.

screenshot and photos in the next few days! :partying_face:

1 Like

Snk vs Capcom (neo geo)

Better to open the screenshots in full-screen in a native 1080p display.

1 - Standard / Aperture Grill / 01 - APERTURE - SHARP

Monitor photo

8 Likes

Hello Hari-82. Do the presets need a specific version of retroatch or any special configuration? I use version 1.16 and only the base presets work…the rest are not that they cannot be loaded but that they completely close the game.

No need for extra files for them to work, the “base” folder is just a service folder not to be used to load shaders.

it is very strange that presets are not loading, also when a preset cannot load usually just says “failed to apply shader presets” but the game should still be going.

What system do you use? OS?

where did you place the “hari” folder?

edit: what video driver do you use in retroarch? my presets are made using slang shaders that I think only works with GL core or Vulkan video drivers.

Windows 11. I put the hari directory in the root of retroatch, in the shaders and in shaders/shaders_slang… same result in all cases. I have had the same error with the megabezels, but not with the koko-aio, sonkun, etc… The slang shaders are updated. I use vulkan drivers, I haven’t tried gl-core

Vulkan should be fine,

Could you please try this one, extract the slangp file in

retroarch_main_folder/shaders/

EDIT: if this file works it means that shaders and drivers should be ok. The only thing I can think of is that my presets and also megabezels use the feature to reference .params files, maybe the retroarch set up you have does not like that, my suggestion is to try to download the latest portable retroarch zip and try if my presets (and megabezel) will work on a fresh, up to date, install of retroarch.

Hello Hari-82. Indeed it was for the retroarch version. I was using 1.10, under a retrobat compilation (very good and selective, by the way) and I was not aware of certain improvements in this regard. I have transferred all the configuration (which was quite a lot) from the version I had to the new one, and now there are no problems with either your presets or the megabezels. Obviously I have kept a backup copy of the original in case I encounter any incompatibility, since the way I had it worked excellent. I have to enable the overscan for full scaling in Retrobat to see if the change is worth it, since without it the game area seems a little small and I waste the 27" monitor installed on my arcade cabinet. Thanks and tinker with your presets.

1 Like

New Update (updated download link in the first post) with some small changes to main presets (affecting most presets) and also reworked:

04 - APERTURE - EXTRA
04 - SHADOW - EXTRA
01 - SLOT MASK - C

shots taken with beetle psx (native res) with:

1 - Standard/Slot Mask/01 - SLOT MASK - C.slangp

@fenix76 glad it all worked out! for long time I was playing without integer scaling but there was always something that didn’t feel right with most shaders. Then I moved to integer scaling (without overscale) and the difference in “space” was noticeble but I kept it for a while, now after few month, I got used to this set up and actually full-screen feels too big for me :sweat_smile: (I use a 24" screen at less then a meter away ).

3 Likes

I was trying with the smaller playing area for a while, but in the end I decided on a larger area, but not as big as it would be when overscaled. Normally I use bezels (the bezel project) because I don’t like black space if they are on the sides. When activating overscale there is a certain space (especially above and below) that is eaten up by the bezel… can the overscale be defined so that the image does not grow as much and only a percentage? This would allow me to adjust the game area to the desired size (for 16-bit games and below I do leave the area a little smaller, as I think it suits them better, showing the reflections of the great koko-aio shader, but in arcades I hide them and I’m left with a larger area). By the way, I haven’t tried your presets a little yet, but they look great…for certain systems above 16 bits I was still using a preset of yours that you posted a while ago in another thread, because it looked great on them.

2 Likes

with integer scaling, especially on 1080p, there is not much to do to change the size. If you want to adjust size the only way to go is to disable integer scaling. also there are some systems or arcade games that use different resolution that can scale well with integer scaling (master system is one of them and for arcade try legend of hero tonma).

this is how I have my set up with overlay (without any overscale)

this with:

/1 - Standard/Shadow Mask/04 - SHADOW - EXTRA.slangp

Integer scaling ON - Overscale OFF

this is:

/9 - Extra/1 - Megabezel/1 - Aperture Grill - MBZ - STD - GDV.slangp

Integer scaling OFF - Overscale OFF - Aspect ratio FULL integer scaling is done within the Megabezel’s parameters -> same “screen” size as the previous one

this with:

/1 - Standard/Aperture Grill/03 - APERTURE - SOFTER.slangp

Integer scaling ON - Overscale OFF

Master System

1 Like

Hello Hari-82. I was testing integrer scaling but the result is too much amalgamation of screen sizes, for arcade games…some with an acceptable size, others smaller, others very small…could it be something in my configuration or is it like that? On the other hand, although I know that you recommend the use of integer scaling, but what is the downside of not using it with your shaders? I tried some and they didn’t look bad, but just because I don’t see it in a quick test doesn’t mean It don’t have it.

Sorry for my english of Google Translator.

Yes, arcade games have a variety of different resolutions so that with integer scaling there is no one-size fit all. What I do is having a “modded” oversized overlay that have a background so that when I load an arcade game if it doesn’t fit I just go to overlay options and change (landscape) Overlay Scale and then save game override, I know is not automatic but that’s the way that takes the least amount of actions to do it. :sweat_smile:

What games gives you a very small size? usually for older games (like tonma or r-type) the size gets bigger. with “newer” games does not go below “normal” size see the snk vs capcom posted above (896 vertical pixels)

You can try without ineger scaling but you might notice some moire effect in same games (especially when there are single color background), is not the biggest deal but for me was not something I wanted to deal with anymore so I switched to integer scaling and forget about it :sweat_smile:. You might rarely encounter it!

3 Likes