Koko-aio shader discussions and updates

This is an old screenshot, that preset is no more.

If you want that look, disable everything and enable just scanlines, then tweak their parameters to your taste.

1 Like

Man I finally figured out the problem. Simply, the stable 3.5 version doesn’t display transparency in background_over.png while the dev build does so.

That’s why I couldn’t get the speakers to show the ambient leds behind them. I was trying to do it with 3.5 not the dev version. Dev version works great.

It’s weird, the preset with Commodore 1084s from 3.5 itself uses alpha channel to show the game content and works just fine with 3.5.

Wasn’t it because ot the leading colon you left in the image path?

7db2d7d2f7e94c7831080fa253a4a836ba96b6b4_2_690x235-1

Hey there, hello and thank you for sharing this awesome feature !

I appreciate the composite rainbow looking you did in one of your presets. But I would like to know if there’s some way to get more blurry looking since I can still see the RGB lines on waterfall or any other texture that is supposed to have dithering.

Also, I would like to know if may be possible to add up Noise into these NTSC shaders since as far as I remember, those systems being played by RF Switch have always had not only the blurry looking + rainbow banding but also some poor video signal with interference, which is a key feature in my opinion to intend a RF retro experience. Not likely I have found many or any RF switch preset out there but at least from my experience, I always had to notice this bad video signal with interference with that cable.

Thank you again for sharing !

Hi there, The best you can do to further smooth waterfalls is: Under Glow section:sharpness, horizontal, set it to 0.5
Under Halo section:sharpness, horizontal, set it to 0.5
Enable “RGB deconvergence”. set strength to 1.0
However the whole image will look more blurred.

As for noise, you are the second to ask me for it, but I already answered that i’m only interested in emulating what made the picture better; maybe i’ll think twice about it in the future.

1 Like

Fair enough buddy. I really appreciate way more the blurry looking on Genesis and SNES games overall. Composite video fits the best for those consoles in my opinion.

As it is for the noise, I appreciate the answer. If it’s within your possibilities or desire, I would appreciate to be addressed on the future. I think there’s very little to no presets out there that attempt to bring RF switch looking for those consoles. Such video signal interference gives such a cool old school vibe that may just be considered as another artifact like the Rainbow banding but still contributes to even more accuracy to original game experience. And since RF switch I read was the default cable connection that came with all old school consoles, I guessed this would be one of the first features (noise-interference) to be emulated in all presets

Anyway, are you taking the Composite video Rainbow banding in your tv NTSC 1 video preset from Sonkun’s presets ? I’m only aware there was just one shader that was capable to make an accurate effect of the Rainbow colorful lines (at least for Sega Genesis Games) but I’m still impressed that you managed to incorporate such features on here.

1 Like

Nope, koko-aio is built from the ground; there is a discussion about NTSC look some posts ago.

@kokoko3k I think the problem is in translucency if that makes more sense, or in how LEDs behave in the Dev build vs stable. I don’t know, but there’s definitely a contradiction between them. And the stable version doesn’t let the LEDs/Ambient light bleed and shine from behind my translucent speakers.

So here’s everything I used packaged together, and if you can figure it out, please feel free to use my designs in any future versions as you see fits. Just mind that @exodus123456 is the one who made the base overlay and I modified it for koko-aio.

Here’s the zip file:

1 Like

Thank you!
Do you also have a repo?
I could link it from my github one.

1 Like

No problem, maybe I’ll make a repo some other time. Thanks.

1 Like

I’m not sure if you @sonkun have taken a look within these presets but tv-NTSC 1 is by all means a fantastic job by this guy. The rainbow banding he enabled here is the literal perfect way for Genesis games. I would say it’s even better to mame_hlsl. It’s simply awesome to have this way even more controllable now than the other shader.

Thank you so much for making this ever possible. Even beyond that, the vast amount of presets available to have so much fun with.

What surprises me the most is that you say this preset was done from scratch. I wish I would have known earlier of this project. Let’s keep on with this buddy. Really awesome work here.

4 Likes

Oh yeah I’ve already been having fun with his shaders you’re late to the party lol, my favorite is the “tv-slotmask” or the bloom variation, really cool shader plus the ntsc one. I’m a fan of his work along with ProfessorBraun’s, also can’t forget this fun shader here that everyone seems to have forgotten about, that shader is fun to use on any game especially if there’s lots of flashy things going on the screen.

3 Likes

Hey @kokoko3k I updated the dark overlay variant to show more LEDs light, it was quite dim but now looks better:

I was thinking maybe you can take this idea another step ahead by making new LEDs adjustments.

Anyways here’s the download link:

1 Like

Thank you for your work, but what do you mean by “new LEDs adjustments”?

Maybe a new setting or what?

1 Like

Yeah maybe a new setting or pattern, since we won’t be using them for ambient lighting only. But it’s good enough as it is tbh.

Your shaders are awesome and don’t consume a lot of resources. I saw them by chance diving through the Retroarch page, and since that day they are my favorites and the ones I use for everything. The one I use for 16 bits, playstation, dreamcast etc is the FXAA Bloom, removing the bezel and leaving the Led power at 1. For 8 bits, ataris etc etc I use the monitor-bloom, and it looks fantastic. Keep it up, from now on you have one more fan following your work. Best regards

4 Likes

Just made a new repo with your presets.
Everybody welcome!

3 Likes

Awesome! Did they work as intended in the stable 3.5 release? Because they didn’t work for me when I was testing back then, they only worked in dev build.

And it would be better to include 1080p screenshots by you instead of my 768p, with the update RGBLEDs Dark variant not the one I included in first zip and screenshot.

Anyways keep up the good work, I’m loving your shader, here’s how I use it in portrait mode (FBNeo core is a pain in the ass when setting this up but mame is easy):

Overlay source:

2 Likes

You were right about 3.5 vs dev build, there has been some change I did without keeping track of it.
Nice setup!

-edit-

Credited the original authors.

2 Likes

@Starman99x @ynnad4

There you have it, I just broke it :smile:

…RF noise is available through the latest snapshot

6 Likes