LibreELEC based images for testers

As some of you already know, Lakka is based on OpenELEC, and this project now has a community fork called LibreELEC that is very active.

It’s good for the future of Lakka that we rebase our work on this LibreELEC distribution.

We’ve been working on it during the last 4 months, and the first images are ready to test here: http://le.builds.lakka.tv/

These images are not ready to be used to play, but to test how much work is still to be done.

Please test them and report any regression here: https://github.com/lakkatv/Lakka-LibreELEC

Thank you

4 Likes

What are the pros and cons to openelec?

Thanks! I just started testing this on my Apollo Laked based system (Asrock J4205-ITX). With CSM (Compatibility Support Module) enabled in EFI and choosing the regular USB (non-EFI) boot option, Lakka boots correctly. This is good news, as neither the current stable Lakka nor previous LibreELEC builds would boot.

I have one problem, though. Maybe I’m dense, but I can’t reach Lakka over the network. I don’t see it in Windows and I can’t access it by typing \\LAKKA into Explorer’s address field either. Trying SSH with user ‘root’, I just get “Connection refused”.

OpenELEC and LibreELEC are very similar. One year ago, the team argued and let the project leader alone on OpenELEC to create LibreELEC. Their goal is to make the project more open and community based. They helped us many times in the past, on technical issues, or by introducing us to important people.

They added one or two features that will be useful in Lakka, like the ability to upgrade using an img.gz instead of a tar. They also have a Virtual image that boots on VMWare.

The real question is not really OpenELEC vs LibreELEC, but should we stay stuck with OpenELEC5 when OpenELEC 7 and LibreELEC 8 are there?

There are good sides and bad sides in both cases. Especially about maintainance and hardware compatibility. So we’re experimenting.

We haven’t enabled samba or ssh by default for now. Just enable it in the Services Settings.

I finished the OdroidC1 port yesterday, it’s available on the repo with other images.

hello, using the x64 Image on a Intel NUC (NUC5PPYH) Mini PC

if i try to boot from usb in uefi mode there comes this message: “failed to load COM32 file vesamenu.c32”

only can boot/install in legacy-mode

Hello,

i used on my system (librelec beta latest version, asrock j3455itx,60GB ssd,8GB Ram) the builds from the main. On both versions (32/64) boot stops on the flower and nothing happends. Then i used ur builds from here (based on libreelec) then boot works. But i got no cores and so on.

Why didnt work the builds from main not at me?

THX

@hackbird, the first version of Lakka hangs on the flower logo because it doesn’t support your graphic card.

The LibreELEC version support your graphic card, but is slow go from the menu to the cores, or the cores to the menu.

Please declare this issue on github. There is already a similar issue with Asrock J4205.

What is your graphic card?

My graphic card is: Integrated Intel® HD Graphics 500: 12 EUs inside (Up to 750MHz)

So, Asus Chromebox CN-60 and LattePanda 4GB RAM/64 GB eMMC model.

Chromebox: same as before. Don’t need to rehash it here. :slight_smile: Lattepanda: Got the vesamenu.c32 error shakka got above, and the flower as well (but starts after a long delay). So yup, graphics card incompatibility.

Does Lakka try to “brute force” it to work?

is the lattepanda UEFI only ? or can you boot legacy as well ?

Strange that it works on Apollo Lake but not Cherry Trail… Like @conradportelli said, have you enabled CSM (and does LattePanda even have it?)? Because I got the same vesamenu.c32 error unless I enabled CSM on my Apollo Lake board.

Let me try out and see if I can boot in Legacy mode real quick.

Sorry, crashed out and went to sleep because, work. But I could not find a legacy boot setting in the BIOS menu of the Lattepanda. No dice.

hey @Shockwave do you have lakka running on Lattepanda ? if so what image/build did you use ? my kangaroo mini pc is almost the same spec. wise and i cant for the life of me get lakka installer usb to even boot to the flower …very frustrating !

Thx in advance !

@conradportelli When you get the bootup process going on your Kangaroo, hit the button that allows you to boot from USB. I used the image that Kivutar linked above in the first post: https://github.com/lakkatv/Lakka-LibreELEC

x86, 64-bit version worked for booting up, burned it to a USB 3.0 drive using Win32DiskImager. You will get the vesamenu.c32 error, type “run” using a keyboard, and Lakka will boot up.

I just tried it and no go :frowning: just hangs there with cursor after I type run … can u link the exact image maybe I’m confused ! Or frustrated :flushed:

Oops, didn’t check the link. My fault man. Here you go.

http://le.builds.lakka.tv/

Yea I tried this in the virtual and generic folders none worked I’m trying the i386 one now … did yours hang for a bit after u typed run ?