Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Yeah, I think there is some sort of difficulty when using amd integrated graphics specifically which is causing the long load times

1 Like

If you want some super sharp pixels you can try a preset in the variations folder called SharpPixels__STD.slangp

1 Like

I use a mechanical HDD all the time and my load times are fine.

Try the GDV-mini for load times.

To remove all the CRT effects, you can turn on the A/B compare feature and move the split to the edge of the screen. (I think.)

2 Likes

The RX 580 8GB is a discrete graphics card with performance in between a GTX 1060 6GB and a GTX 1070 8GB.

Indeed, this seems to be the case. I switched to vulkan and I could update the shaders.

May I comment that this seems to be a fairly odd feature?

I get that Retroarch forbids me to -select- or use something that would not be possible to be used, but being blocked to update some assets for that reason and forcing me to change video driver to do that does not seem to be correct.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree, it might be better to just have an update shaders that updated all the shaders regardless of what video driver you are using.

2 Likes

That, I leave to to dev team. In any case, both if there are separate update entries for the shaders and one, I see no logic rationale why someone should not want his system fully up to date, regardless of the driver he’s currently using.

1 Like

Thanks to this, I’ve now updated my CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack versioning system to semi-sync with HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader versioning based on compatibility.

So if a user is using V1.1.0_xx-xx-xx of my Shader Preset Pack, they know that it’s been updated and tested to be compatible (and look right) with V1.1.0_xx-xx-xx of HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader.

If there’s a new update or feature in HSM Mega Bezel that needs the presets to be updated before they will look right again, the versioning of the Shader Preset Pack will also reflect that.

2 Likes

Quick question, I am trying to set up my standard shader preset to work across different displays with slightly different resolutions/aspect ratios, and the only thing that is still getting weird for me is setting the mask size, a different size is needed for 1080p vs. 4k, etc.

I am using the 1_ADV_SMOOTH basic preset as a starting point, and the only other change I made in shader parameters from default was to disable the intro animation.

Which value or values needs to be set for mark size so that it automatically adjusts based on the resolution? Is it just a value of “0” in the main mask size parameter, or does something else need to be changed?

1 Like

This should work in theory… I’m not sure about 1440 though, it may be subjective.

1 Like

I play mostly on three different displays:

1080p gaming monitor (which my laptop is connected to most of the time)

1440p 16:10 native display of the laptop itself when traveling

4k OLED with VRR that I occasionally connect the laptop to.

So if the 1440p is the odd one out and requires extra adjusting or just doesn’t work as well/at all I am ok with that, if the “auto” variable (value of 0.00) is the one I need to set to get it to work between the 1080p monitor and 4k TV.

1 Like

It is.

It really depends on if you want a visible mask i.e what kind of mask is set in the previous parameter. CGWG never requires changing the size but a Lottes mask etc. does.

I’m just not sure what size “auto” yields on a 1440 display. You’ll just have to try it and see. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I liked whatever the default mask on the 1_ADV_SMOOTH preset is, I think that one is Lottes? I know it’s not a slot mask, and I am less familiar with CCWG generally. So I will probably just leave it set there, change the size variable to auto, and leave well enough alone otherwise if it looks decent in places I normally use it (monitor and TV).

1 Like

I think this might be Lottes, I’ll have to check.

So what auto does is double the mask size at 4k, it takes the pixel res of the shortest dimension of your viewport (E. G. Vertical res on a landscape orientation, or horizontal res on a portrait orientation) and checks if that is close to 2160. So I think it will not change on 1440p, which is probably good since your mask would appear visually larger than at 1080p.

2 Likes

Making the rounds on Reddit too!

3 Likes

I was interested in what was mentioned above, some presents without effects, that is only bezel and/or reflections.

I couldn’t find the noted options to accomplish the mentioned. Any chance you can post an example here?

I have SSD and when I start the games, it takes about 7 seconds to load approx. Laptop with core i7 10th and nvidia rtx 2070 video card

Thank you

1 Like

After you install HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader, Go to the “…RetroArch/Shaders/Shaders_Slang/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Variations” Folder and you should see the SharpPixels__STD.slangp shader preset.

2 Likes

great thanks :wink: I was looking for it in the folder: HSM-Mega-Bezel-Examples

2 Likes

For loading time I would again suggest the STD-GDV-Mini presets.

i.e. shaders\shaders_slang\bezel\Mega_Bezel\Presets\Base_CRT_Presets\MBZ__3__STD__GDV-MINI.slangp

If what you want is no CRT mask or other effects then open the parameters dialog and scroll to

[ A/B SPLITSCREEN COMPARE ]

and toggle the

Show: CRT SHADER | ORIGINAL to 1.00

then change the Splitscreen Position to 100.00

If you want you can also turn off the curvature and you will have a raw image with a bezel and reflection.

Then save a Core, Game, or Content Directory preset.

4 Likes

Mega_Bezel_Logo

Mega Bezel is updated to V1.2.0_2022-09-11

Changes:

• Split Scaling
    • Added Split Preserve Center %
      • When an image is being split when it is being stretched this preserves the center area
    • Added Split Repeat Width
      • When this is 0 there is no repeat
      • If this is larger than 0 this sets the width of the repeated area
    • Fixed Split mode scaling when following wider horizontal aspect
  • Fixed some corner parameters not forcing update of the graphics cache
  • Added Brightness parameters for the different sides of the bezel to help create directional lighting
  • SMOOTH-ADV now uses mask 3 to add some more phosphor-ish texture to the screen

Go to the first post here for links to the package and install instructions. Please make sure to read the install & setup instructions

Standard Bezel Lighting

Adjusted Bezel Lighting

Standard aspect ratio using TheNamec’s graphics (the lighting is too bright in the back probably because of something I did)

Wider aspect ratio with device graphic following the tube repeated graphics filling in the extra area

New Mask choice for the SMOOTH-ADV guest presets, now using mask 3, adds some nice texture to the screen

Edit:

Just a quick note about the bezel lighting, I’m going to adjust the parameters so that you adjust an xy lighting position to adjust the brightness distribution on the left, right, top & bottom,instead of having to adjust each individually

10 Likes