Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

i started to do some own overlays so they fit nice with the arcade overlays from Orionsangel here is one of them ^^

6 Likes

Hi, first of all congratulations and big thanks for this amazing work!! Never seen anything rendering games so beautifully and true to the original. Using the shader runs perfect on my computer (using preset HSM Max-Int-Scale-No-Bezel_0_SMOOTH-ADV-NO-REFLECT) and I am very happy with it.

However, I just acquired a Nvidia Shield Pro and installed latest Retroarch 1.11.1 on it, to play on my LG C8 OLED. When trying to launch any of the HSM shaders, it crashes miserably though… Other shaders work (ScaleFX for example) but I would really like to play with HSM since it’s clearly superior in my eyes. Any hint? I’d like to send a log but the log folder in RA seems empty on the Nvidia Shield.

4 Likes

Coming from a Shield TV user myself I’ll tell you the only one that’s going to run at decent speeds is the potato version. You won’t get the reflections and things but it’ll work, try that one. The Shield simply doesn’t have the horse power to run all of them at full speed. Mines is rooted and overclocked to the max and mines still struggle with it.

Welcome to forum by the way.

4 Likes

Welcome to the Forum!

I think you can thank @guest.r for this, his CRT shader is the star for showing a great CRT effect in the game screen, and the addition of Spookyfox’s ScaleFx to the mix really adds some smoothness.

A log would be great if you are crashing and you can find a way to get it. @hunterk do you know where a log might go on android?

Locally and in my github repo I’ve now added SCREEN-ONLY presets which the MaxIntScale presets use which removes extra unecessary passes, so should run faster now it’s possibly that Android might have less trouble with them now. A new Github release is not there for it yet though.

4 Likes

The log directory will be empty unless/until you enable logging to file (and set the logging vebosities to 0-debug)

4 Likes

When I get home later I’ll run a test on my Shield to see how much faster it is then report my findings.

Thanks everyone for your answers, so much info in your posts, helps a lot. I activated logging in RA (thanks to @hunterk tip), here is a log after a crash trying to use Max-Int-Scale-No-Bezel_0 (but all other shaders from that section crash as well).

Ok, I see, that’s a bit disappointing, but thanks for the info. The Potato version you suggested crashes as well on my Shield.

Since it’s actually crashing retroarch, my best guess is that it’s running out of video memory.

If you want to try again to get this working soon I would suggest downloading my repo or wait until the next release, because the latest stuff I’ve been working on has some new optimizations

4 Likes

Ok, since I can’t upload any file in the shader folder on my Shield, I’ll wait for the next release so I hopefully can download it within RA. Thanks a lot for the answer.

2 Likes

I tried Super-XBR preset Mode, I really Love it… It Looks a lot better…

Here a PS1 Pic :grin: :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

So I updated my slang shaders then proceeded to load up a mega bezel on my Shield and this is how fast it runs, the Shield just can’t handle it. I did get full speed with the potato version though.

5 Likes

Which version of RA is this please? On my Shield pro RA version 1.11.1 all HSM Bezel crash

1 Like

Another pic, but with better brightness…

2 Likes

I’m using the latest RetroArch just like you. What’s different is I’m still on version 8.2.3 on my Shield, you said you got the newest Android update version 9. From what I’ve been reading on the reddit forum 9 is still buggy, almost every other post I see someone having a problem with their Shield after updating. Not sure how optimized RetroArch is on Android 9 so that could be one reason it doesn’t load up. Does all other shaders load up for you besides the Mega Bezels?

4 Likes

Hey, after the quest for MEGAREFERENCE I’m back at doing graphics!

Here’s some samples from the RETROWALLS series, these will come bundled with the incoming PVMs collection. For the time being, I’ll also put these in the Commodore Pack RC4.1 :wink:

Have a nice sunday everyone!

9 Likes

Ah I see, that must be the reason then, thanks. I just checked and I have version 9.1.0 on my Shield pro (Android 11). I guess I must have to wait until then fix bugs in RA. To answer your question, a lot of the other shaders are working, except a few ones (CRT Royale for example)

1 Like

This is the second time I’ve seen someone say they couldn’t get Royale working on Shield with the Android 9 update. It’s definitely possible the update is causing the issue.

2 Likes

Mega_Bezel_Logo

Mega Bezel is updated to V1.4.3_2022-10-09

Changes:

• Fixed D3D11 bugs, Shaders now load, Compilation is still much slower than Vulkan or GlCore
  • Added SCREEN-ONLY presets for those users which don’t use the Refletion, Bezel or Graphics
  • Adjusted SUPER-XBR settings to be more like the latest SUPER-XBR
  • Added Tube Opacity
  • Updated Text to faster compiling and rendering
  • The names of the Max-Int presets has now changed because they point to these SCREEN-ONLY base presets which are faster
  • Split apart libraries to improve compile times and optimize execution

Go to the first post here for links to the package and install instructions. Please make sure to read the install & setup instructions

New Max-Int SCREEN-ONLY presets, run much faster

ADV

ADV-SUPER-XBR

SMOOTH-ADV

Transparent Tube

14 Likes

Here are even more overlays i made , i am at 59 now^^ i going to ask Orionsangel if i can upload them so others can use them …( cuz i made a template out of his work for these^^)

8 Likes