Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

This is my first time writing here.

I’m using the POTATO version for reasons that make the Bezel fixed with ShortAxis Integer Scale On (other reason is 4K resolution and GTX1080Ti OC fan speed goes up to 4500),
and it’s included in ADV and above To include sgenpt-mix-pass, “RetroArch\shaders\shaders_slang\bezel\Mega_Bezel\Presets\Base_CRT_Presets\Root_Presets” Is it correct to directly edit the POTATO slangp file in ? Or is there another easy way?

Also, is the place to insert any LUT shader a position like sgenpt-mix-pass?

2 Likes

Sounds like your case cooling setup or your graphics card might be in need of some attention.

I’m using one of these with an Automatic Curve OC on the Core and a slight manual Memory OC and I run up to the Smooth-ADV presets at 4K with not as much as a peep.

You start by loading whatever base preset or preset variation you would like to use, turn Use Simple Presets On, then make whatever changes you would like using the Shader Parameters menu. When finished Choose Save As then name your new Shader Preset or Save a Core, Game, Global or Directory Preset.

This will create a file with only the changes from the original preset which it will automatically refer to for the other unchanged parameters.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply.

I originally used the 2GHz OC version and just set it to automatic. If I disable OC, it will be 1480/1582MHz and the fan speed will be 2500 by default… but I usually run it in Auto OC state.

I don’t think there is an item for sgenpt-mix-pass when I load the POTATO preset.

So the intro is always before grade, so it gets treated the same as the rest of the image. It’s this way so it will give more consistent results than having it after the color correction and not having any color correction affect the logo.

If you think of color temperature, it would probably be a surprise to the user if they adjusted the color temperature and it didn’t affect the logo.

1 Like

I would suggest trying a ADV-SCREEN-ONLY preset. This will add the de-dithering including sgenpt-mix, but is less intense than the full ADV preset. In the next version there will be a new feature to add an a simple background to the SCREEN-ONLY presets.

If I really want to use it with POTATO, like this?

Do SCREEN-ONLY presets have no Bezel elements and include dithering shaders? Then can expect it.

1 Like

no…,

shader6 = …/…/…/shaders/base/stock.slang
alias6 = “PreCRTPass”

On top of this…?

Thanks. This corrects my erroneous statement that having it load after Grade would cause it to be affected by Grade.

When you wanted to not have ScaleFX affect the Logo, you moved it to after ScaleFX so it makes sense.

Yes the ADV-SCREEN-ONLY presets do have the de-dithering chain. You can find them in the Base_CRT_Presets, or in the Presets/Variations/SCREEN-ONLY folder

The current released one is ready to try, the next version not yet released will add the ability to add an image, kind of like the POTATO version.

You can also try the MBZ__5__POTATO-SUPER-XBR__GDV.slangp it has this stuff included, and you can shut off the SUPER-XBR effect with a parameter

2 Likes

Yes the ADV-SCREEN-ONLY presets do have the de-dithering chain. You can find them in the Base_CRT_Presets, or in the Presets/Variations/SCREEN-ONLY folder

The current released one is ready to try, the next version not yet released will add the ability to add an image, kind of like the POTATO version.

You can also try the MBZ__5__POTATO-SUPER-XBR__GDV.slangp it has this stuff included, and you can shut off the SUPER-XBR effect with a parameter

2 Likes

Thanks for all the information.
By the way, will it be possible to incorporate arbitrary LUT shaders in the future? Originally, it is a simple shader (?) without parameters like “bsnes-gamma-ramp.slangp” and “lut.slangp” in “RetroArch\shaders\shaders_slang\reshade”.

I am particular about using this LUT file and the Game Boy Palette and wanting all monochrome handhelds to be SGB 1-A.

palette-sgb
lut-sgb

In summary, my ideal option shader combination is

in total

bsnes-gamma-ramp.slangp
lut.slangp (Since the bsnes-gamma-ramp.slangp and LUT files overlap, I duplicate the file separately) or customized gb-palette.slang
sgenpt-mix-pass

3 shaders.
I used to add these 3 shaders on CRT-Royal. But I fell in love with these features of the MegaBezel.

1 Like

understood.
I found that sgenpt-mix-pass is included. And disable SUPER-XBR.

1 Like

Not with simple presets.

If you save a full preset you can change any LUT, but if HSM makes a conflicting change in the shader, it will fail to load.

1 Like

I thought it would be good to change the Texture reference destination of this SamplerLUT1 ~ SamplerLUT4. Is this correct? Fill in that path in a simple preset.

1 Like

Nope. Only image layer paths can be changed in simple presets. The preset will load, but the LUT is used in an early pass (Using the default reference.) so the change will not have an effect.

If you want to change a LUT you will have to save a full (Not simple) preset.

I expect a few changes to the shader soon, so now would not be a good time to do this, unless you want to never update the shader.

1 Like

Oh… Then there is a high possibility that MegaBezel’s Update will break it… :face_with_head_bandage:

understood.

As a request for MegaBezel, it would be nice to have 3-4 passes in the margins where additional shaders could be edited and filled in.

Well, I’m a strange person who likes to play handhelds with CRTs, so maybe I wouldn’t normally think about this… :joy:

@HyperspaceMadness @Cyber @Duimon
I learned a lot about MegaBezel.
thank you very much.

3 Likes

So this isn’t quite right, you can override any path used in the shader, including the LUT image paths

I tried replacing all the LUT paths and saw no change in the output. I assumed the changes had no effect.

I would like to try it, but this LUT has a size of 16. I have to remake it to 32….
I can’t blend with the BNES LUT…

Also, I have to recreate it from a monochrome screen…

1 Like

So I would not go this direction because it encourages users to edit the base presets which they should not do because their work will be overwritten whenever the Mega Bezel gets updated.

What could be possible for someone who wants to test things is to use my tools inside my git repo that I use to assemble the base presets presets to generate a new test preset. Perhaps with extra stock passes that you can change the paths.

The tools are in the github repo (it is not included in the releases). You can find them in Mega_Bezel/tools

Here’s a post about it, some info may be a bit outdated. If you want to ask questions about it, it would be good to do so on that thread.

Check the guest settings they have may have controls for the LUT size. I’m pretty sure there is some way to use different sizes.

2 Likes