Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

You’re in luck, the cropping controls in the shader should do what you are looking for :slight_smile:

Edit: OK I juse re-read what you’re asking, and this kind of thing cropping at one time and not another based on what is going on in the screen would probably not be practical to implement

It would be technically possible to do this, by checking for black pixels, it could have dodgy results based on the content, and might also slow down the shader. Might be worth testing though

1 Like

Thank you for you answer! I asked it because the Dr-Venom shader did that if i’m not mistaken, and as your shader uses Dr-Venom as base I tought it shouldn’t be so hard to implement(for you of course, I don’t understand a thing)! But thank you anyway!

1 Like

I’ll take a look at this, I didn’t realize it did something like this…

2 Likes

I agree with you, blue batman looks better than purple batman but unfortunately, his true color IS probably purple for non-Sony TVs. If you use MESEN + RAW + nes-color-decoder+pixellate.slangp, you can get an accurate color representation.

1 Like

Heresy! Batman on the NES was always purple. NECA even released a purple figure!

4 Likes

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, are these the black bars you are talking about? image

I looked into the guest shader scaling. What I found that might be what you are thinking of is smart scale mode 3 on guest-sm which is called 3:Overscan Y Integer Scaling what this does is uses the next integer multiple up for the y axis, so the image stretches off the screen vertically and the horizontal axis is not affected. So this is not actually looking at the screen image content to determine scaling or cropping.

I think the likelihood of this being a solid feature unsure since it needs to look at the current image to determine which areas remain black, and probably we’d need to check over time so you don’t have the screen jumping shrinking and expanding. A situation where this could happen is if the background is black and the top visible tree in the background was on the screen then stepped off the screen.

1 Like

Looking for a little input on the “Night” versions project I have had plans for. Please keep in mind that these are meant to be viewed at full screen in a dark room.

@HyperspaceMadness

Does the new gamma parameter effect the game screen also or just the image?

2 Likes

Automatic overscan options never worked properly in any emulator/plugin AFAIK. It’s always something that you will have to handle manually in a per-game basis.

1 Like

The new one which is at the end of the list affects the final image, including the tube, bezel, frame, background etc

Edit:

After people try this out for a bit we can decide if it should affect everything (as it currently does) or just outside the game screen.

2 Likes

With the new scanlines on higher res content I would suggest, if possible, auto toggling the added scanlines off if below the venom guest interlacing threshold. It can possibly add more darkening or artifacts.

Yes, I was talking about these black bars, I understand this could be problematic because there are games that use black bars for certain scenes. But of course, this method would be a trigger on/off. We would only turn it on for certain games like Zelda 2, or N64 games (which almost always have these bars)

I’m really sorry about my English/grammar

Yes this seems like a good idea, if you have a 240p core then you get good scanlines from the scanline shader, no need for extra scanlines on top

No need to apologize! Your English and grammar are quite good, I would not have guessed that English wasn’t your first language :slight_smile:

I don’t really play much N64, could you give me some good examples of N64 games where the black bars appear and disappear regularly?

1 Like

Thank you! I expressed myself badly, N64 games do not behave this way, however, the vast majority of its games have static black bars, the current solution is to configure each game with the option of crop overscan that the shader already has and save one preset per game, but it would be nice to be able to do this automatically with just a trigger. I don’t think this is a priority. If you don’t think it’s worth doing it there’s no problem!

1 Like

OK, it’s not something high priority. It seems like something that needs an extra parameter to turn it on and I’m really running out of space, :). So something I might still check out at some point.

1 Like

Older mupen cores could read the gliden64.config in the system/mupen plugin folder. There you could configure the overscan for each game so the plugin itself can handle it. All games could be set in this one file.

Now you can’t do that anymore because the gliden64 config is intergrated in the core so you either have to create tons of shader files per game or you can also handle it via the core options i think but you still need tons of core cfgs per game.

That was the biggest regression of the newer N64 core IMO.

2 Likes

Does anyone have just the overlay image to share (the TV border with the texture, without glass effects) from HSM shader? I only found the texture in the shader files, I wanted to try it with a couple shaders I have!

The HSM shader generates the bezel and frame, there is no texture.

If you want something similar I have created standard Retroarch overlays with a bezel that is essentially a clone. I have a thread where you can get more info. The source is provided so you could use any background texture you want.

I know, I’m looking for a overlay like yours, but instead of the console borders I would like the HSM Shader Background, I called it texture because it was in a folder called textures. :sweat_smile:

Background-Image-3840x2160

Edit: I did it @Duimon, with your template, if anyone wants it I could share in this post with @HyperspaceMadness approval.

2 Likes

If the source is something you aren’t able to work with, (Not everyone is an artist) with approval from @HyperspaceMadness, I can put a version in my repo. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yeah, feel free to put any of the HSM textures in your repo :slight_smile:

3 Likes