Official release thread for WindowCast core

Have you tried the different versions of the WindowCast Core? For example the experimental v2.0 or the Vulkan blitz version?

You can also try setting the Vulkan/OpenGL present method to Prefer layered on DXGI Swapchain or Prefer native if it’s already set to Prefer layered on DXGI Swapchain?

2 Likes

ahha. I loaded MBZ_0 but just inside retroarch with the pcsx2 core and clicked show res info. the core reads 512x416 but there is still a sampling res 3072x416. MBZ_1 does not show a sampling res, but if I load cyberlab mbz_1 / 4k / computer monitor smooth that sampling res is shown at 61456x2160.

I tried the vulkan blitz version. When I downloaded experimental 2.0 version the core file name structure isn’t a .dll / it’s a .so file and retroarch doesn’t see it

1 Like

I have nvidia control panel set to prefer layered on DXGI Swapchain yup. I followed those instructions

1 Like

In the old days MBZ__1__ADV did some upsampling in the Shader pipeline to allow for the use of things like ScaleFX. Subsequently this was taken out of the MBZ__1__ADV performance tier and limited to the MBZ__0__SMOOTH-ADV performance tier.

It’s possible that the Computer Monitor Smooth Preset is referencing the MBZ__0__SMOOTH-ADV_GDV base preset.

One giveaway is that it has Smooth in the filename. There are other presets with Smooth in the filename which don’t use the MBZ__0__SMOOTH-ADV_GDV base preset and don’t use ScaleFX for upscaling. Those use Super-XBR instead which is supposed to be in the MBZ__1__ADV__GDV performance tier.

1 Like

oh duh the experimental build isn’t for windows duh me. it’s only for X11 and Linux

1 Like

While waiting for more expert responses you can probably read a few posts above and see how some other folks have been using the WindowCast Core with PS2 games.

On another note, most of my presets don’t require ScaleFX/Super-XBR nor the MBZ__0__SMOOTH-ADV_GDV performance tier. You said my presets in the MBZ__1 to MBZ__5 folders work. Why don’t you embrace the ones in the MBZ__3__STANDARD folder? The quality is arguably just as good as the others, it’s very close actually if not better in some respects.

Mega Bezel is not a one size fits all solution, that’s why there are different performance tiers to begin with.

As for my presets, it wasn’t easy expanding my offerings to cater for lower performing systems so go ahead and enjoy them. That’s what they’re there for.

1 Like

i tried computer monitor sharp from mbz_1 / 4k and the sampling res of 61456x2160 was there too in the same mbz_1 / 4k section it tried computer monitor sharp and sampling res of 61456x2160 was there

I then tried slot mask II, slot mask IV OLED, and others like that in the section and the sampling res wasn’t there.

what I can’t understand is how come I’m able to use any preset including MBZ_0 but with windowcast I can’t. my guess is windowcast with shaders might be causing some sort of performance bottleneck. I read this whole thread. It’s ok. time will fix everything…then I’ll be dead…i kid i kid

1 Like

Have you tried setting the resolution settings in the windowcast core settings? There are controls in there to control try initial resolution coming out of windocast

2 Likes

I looked in the core settings quick menu and I don’t see resolution settings only scaling settings

@HyperspaceMadness I was busy for a while. I went again and checked in the windowcast core setting and I was able to scale down the resolution. I tried every lower resolution and it still runs into the same problem. I also tried changing render drivers for the pcsx2 standalone emulator and changed pcsx2 nvidia control panel to match DXGI Swapchain in retroarch negative. I tried disabling exclusive fullscreen in pcsx2 but it’s just set at borderless window set to run in a separate window. MBZ_0 won’t work with windowcast. works fine without. Hope this and Cyber and my convo up above helps with process of elimination for you and @IHQMD

1 Like

Have you tried running PCSX2 in an actual window, with title bar and everything?

There is also a wrapper floating around here to assist with launching games. Have you tried that?

Also, you should really look into this:

And possibly this:

Those might cover your needs quite well actually.

Yup that doesn’t work

That wrapper is only for things like launchbox

LRPS2 is what I’m going to use for now. I think once pcsx2 get’s another stable release LRPS2 will get a upstream update soon

1 Like

Hello. I’m running into some clipping when using HDR with the WindowCast core. Can anyone replicate this problem?

raw PCSX2, Silent Hill 2 map screen:

gsdx_20240306150514

Problem: in Retroarch when using WindowCast, all the greys/whites are clipped. Adjusting settings via the HDR menu in Retroarch doesn’t fix it

1 Like

try turning off hdr. that might fix it

wanted to report that scalefx or superxbr won’t work with windowcast core

Unfortunately, the clipping remains even when disabling HDR in Retroarch

check the core settings to make sure it’s not cropping the image

this is the specific preset I’m trying to get to work with window cast. unfortunatly no luck. If anyone can that would be great.

#reference "Mega_Bezel_Packs/CyberLab/MBZ__0__Smooth-Advance_Full_Reflections/CyberLab_Neo-GX_4K_Presets/CyberLab_PSX_Composite_CyberTron_Neo-GX.slangp"
post_br = "2.999998"
HSM_GLOBAL_GRAPHICS_BRIGHTNESS = "100.000000"
HSM_STATIC_LAYERS_GAMMA = "1.000000"
HSM_INT_SCALE_MODE = "0.000000"
HSM_INT_SCALE_MULTIPLE_OFFSET = "0.000000"
HSM_BZL_USE_INDEPENDENT_SCALE = "0.000000"
HSM_BZL_INDEPENDENT_SCALE = "82.970001"
HSM_BZL_WIDTH = "70.000000"
HSM_BZL_HEIGHT = "70.000000"
HSM_FXAA_ON = "1.000000"
SUPERXBR_ON = "1.000000"
HSM_INTRO_WHEN_TO_SHOW = "0.000000"
g_space_out = "0.000000"
ntsc_sat = "1.200000"
mask_layout = "0.000000"
1 Like

On most traditional cores, using a ADV Smooth preset and a 4x internal resolution will cause retroarch to crash.

That would be roughly 1080p, so if your game screen resolution is native then it will crash.

If you can’t force the game resolution to be lower then just don’t use a smooth preset.

1 Like

I’m running duckstation in native 1x resolution and window cast resolution is also scaled down. It’s not the resolution. Also hi Dumion. I love your system bezel backgrounds

1 Like