Shader Preset Wildcards

i think i post it here aswell cuz i dont know if this should be included in my base pack or will be a thing on its own

for now i just need suggestions and feed back on this

Yeah thatā€™s weird. :hushed: I swear I changed my Vectrex presets to be only one preset using wildcards, but I just looked and they are the old presets.

That will change VERY quickly. :grin:

5 Likes

It is done. :grin:

With my recent experience it was even easier this time. I only had to edit one file and rename two presets in each class.

Then I deleted everything that was no longer needed.

I use No-Intro names for most of my Vectrex screen overlay images, but I have a few homebrew roms they donā€™t use. For consistency I have a couple of names that use ā€œHomebrewā€ instead of ā€œHackā€.

2 Likes

Isnā€™t there a no-intro renaming tool? Itā€™s something I havenā€™t thought about for a while so I could be wrong about that, but does anyone know?

1 Like

yes some rom manger and renaming tools are floating around , but if i could remind wich one i used i would say it ^^

that was quite a while ago and a huge effort , i can only remind that i tested many and only one wasnĀ“t overly complicated ā€¦ :thinking:

i search around maybe i can remind me wich one it was

it also sortet everythingā€¦

1 Like

clrmamepro and/or romcenter i used

not sure wich exactly cuz just reminded that one of these didnĀ“t sort them the way i wanted , and just used the renaming feature of one .^^

There are tools available on the Hyperspin website.

They are called ā€œDonā€™s Hyperspin Toolsā€.

1 Like

there are also some plugins to sort , convert your collection for lauchbox i just donĀ“t know if one of them also can rename them

1 Like

Hi folks, Iā€™m just playing about with the wildcard feature and so far i really like it. I do have a slight issue though with how the blending modes effect the transparent glass section on MrRetrolust overlays and I wanted to know if anyone could help.

I want the overlay to act like it would if i was using the overlay option within Retroarch ie: no blend just on top.

Iā€™m using the Orionā€™s Angel arcade wildcard example from HSMā€™s example package, here is how my base.params file looks:

ScreenPlacementImage = $GAME$.png
BackgroundImage = $GAME$.png
BackgroundVertImage = $GAME$.png

// Scale and Position image inside the transparent area
HSM_USE_IMAGE_FOR_PLACEMENT = "1.000000"
HSM_PLACEMENT_IMAGE_USE_HORIZONTAL = "1.000000"
HSM_NON_INTEGER_SCALE_OFFSET = "89.5"

HSM_BZL_WIDTH = "240.000000"
HSM_BZL_HEIGHT = "240.000000"

// Put the CRT and Bezel Under the Background
HSM_CRT_LAYER_ORDER = 0

// Put Background above CRT
HSM_BG_LAYER_ORDER = 1

// Matte with white
HSM_BG_SOURCE_MATTE_TYPE = 2
HSM_BG_BLEND_MODE = 1

HSM_SCREEN_POSITION_X = 0
HSM_SCREEN_POSITION_Y = 0

HSM_FRM_OPACITY = "0.000000"

The ā€˜Matte with whiteā€™ section is where i managed to get the overlays to look right however when the screen gets bright any scratches and drop shadows donā€™t just fade they disappear completely :frowning:

I suppose although not played for this effect is quite similar to real life, but iā€™d like to have the option to change that if possible.

Bit more info: Iā€™m using single png overlays for this which have all been modified in the past by me, and iā€™m using per game params files. I have no idea what numbers correspond with what blend modes within MegaBezel.

If all else fails i can just use the normal overlay system within Retroarch so no problem i just thought iā€™d ask :+1:

The blend mode can be left at the default (Normal), you only need to change it if you want to use Add or Multiply.

The trick for Matte, suggested by @HyperspaceMadness, is to create a layer below the overlay (In Photoshop) that is filled with black. By reducing the bottom layer to 1% opacity you can guarantee that the alpha matte is black. This will correspond with the default matte type.

The end result is that you can remove these two lines.

HSM_BG_SOURCE_MATTE_TYPE = 2
HSM_BG_BLEND_MODE = 1

This should give you results that are the same as if you used an overlay.

The only way to get more control over the screen portion is to use a separate layer as the Screen Reflection Image. This will let you use all the parameters available for the reflection image. (Opacity, blend mode, etc.) The default blend mode for the screen reflection is additive, which may help with the white disappearing.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply fella, I have the Retrolust overlays in layers so i could add a second screen portion layer like you say.

Am i better using one reflection image for all and resize to suit each overlay or is it possible to use the correct sized reflection image for each game?

1 Like

Iā€™ll have to take a look at the overlays before giving you concrete advice.

1 Like

Ok thanks for getting back to me, I tried the double layer. Not bad but the reflection layer was slightly off and would need manual adjustment.

So because of this iā€™ve had the shader handle the screen and Retroarch handle the overlays :+1:

The reflection image is the arcade reflection from Mr retrolustā€™ overlays?

If so I would suggest trying the 1% black trick, then set the matte mode to black and set the blend mode to normal?

Below are the settings for a black matte and normal blend mode

HSM_BG_SOURCE_MATTE_TYPE = 0
HSM_BG_BLEND_MODE = 1

And this should only need one image if you already have them set up.

1 Like

Cheers for the reply buddy but iā€™m part way through now. (iā€™m gonna still try what you say to see the result though) :+1:

This is how i have it looking using seperate overlay and shader:

Iā€™ll try and match this perfectly using the MegaBezel (thanks for your help chaps)

Ok so the 1% trick works however thereā€™s a bit of a difference between using the wildcard system and the retroarch overlay system with regards to how the transparent part is displayed.

Hereā€™s a screenshot of how the overlay looks with MegaBezel:

and hereā€™s a screenshot of the same overlay displayed using Retroarchā€™s overlay system:

ignore the brightness of the capcom logo, the first one was probably fading out when i took the shot.

So this is using the black BG at 1% in Photoshop and the Mega Bezel mask mode set to black?

1 Like

Yes i think so m8:

ScreenPlacementImage = $GAME$.png
BackgroundImage = $GAME$.png
BackgroundVertImage = $GAME$.png

// Scale and Position image inside the transparent area
HSM_USE_IMAGE_FOR_PLACEMENT = "1.000000"
HSM_PLACEMENT_IMAGE_USE_HORIZONTAL = "1.000000"
HSM_NON_INTEGER_SCALE_OFFSET = "89.5"

HSM_BZL_WIDTH = "240.000000"
HSM_BZL_HEIGHT = "240.000000"

// Put the CRT and Bezel Under the Background
HSM_CRT_LAYER_ORDER = 0

// Put Background above CRT
HSM_BG_LAYER_ORDER = 1

// Matte with white
HSM_BG_SOURCE_MATTE_TYPE = 0
HSM_BG_BLEND_MODE = 1

HSM_SCREEN_POSITION_X = 0
HSM_SCREEN_POSITION_Y = 0

HSM_FRM_OPACITY = "0.000000"

Ok, can you send me your original file and the one with the 1% black? Or a photoshop file would be fine too. Then I can try to understand what is going on.

I really would like find a way we can have a similar effect as the overlay.

1 Like