Sony Megatron Colour Video Monitor

I understand. I just reopened the issue since we now have the ability to do some further first hand testing, which has the potential to bring some sort of innovation or improvement.

I missed this interesting tidbit from the RTINGS review:

Update 12/02/2016: With the newest firmware update (04.30.19) there has been the addition of a HDR gaming mode. In this mode the HDR input lag is lower, and should be fine for HDR gaming. Note that although the TV accepts a 4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR signal, it can’t accurately display the chroma subsampling in any HDR mode, even with the ‘PC’ icon selected. The HDR chroma subsampling looks the same as the B6, visible here .

What I’ve observed with this TV is that while it fails at the subpixel accuracy tests, it still manages to excel at the pixel level and beyond. I hope whoever is reading can understand what I’m saying but it makes sense. If the TV couldn’t accurately colour individual pixels, then it would never be good at displaying anything despite its excellent black levels.

So while it spoils the mask appearance from up close and personal, it doesn’t seem to have much if any negative effect on the CRT Shader generated image at distances where the mask, “phosphors” and individual RGB subpixels blend and can no longer be seen.

3 Likes

Hello, I have an 65" LG OLED CX connected to a nVidia 1080. HDR is enabled in RetroArch and the TV is also showing that it is receiving an HDR signal. Nevertheless, when selecting any of the Megatron HDR presets I get a super washed out picture with almost no color left (almost black and white). Am I missing something here? Other shaders work without problems.

3 Likes

All fixed and I don’t know how. :man_shrugging: But now it looks awesome. Especially happy with the MX8000 preset since I also own this.

Thank you for this awesome work!

2 Likes

Are those photos of the shader? Looks amazing. What tv settings and shader settings used?

1 Like

I’ve got the new 42 inch LG OLED which has a max nits of around 720.

I love bfi far more than I thought I would which brings the max brightness even lower so I’m using the jvc pro preset which basically has no mask so the overall brightness is usable.

I’m curious what luminance i should use with bfi, should it still be 720 or should I lower it to the lower perceived luminance which bfi causes?

2 Likes

I also have a question, what CRT is the Toshiba Microfilter preset modeled after?

1 Like

The idea is to get it as bright as possible therefore you should probably use the max nit value.

1 Like

Just wanted to share a possible breakthrough when it comes to OLED TVs and CRT shader masks.

They seem to work best with BGR layout!

Take a look at these results:

2 Likes

Interesting. I couldn’t tell any difference, but I’ll try again and look closely

1 Like

Apologies for the delay in replying I’m in the midst of developing a Reshade add-on and all my attention is going into that at the moment (along with my 3 month old son :rofl:)

As @Cyber said just raise it to the highest luminance possible - it’s pretty much luminance always wins the day. With BFI are you noticing it helps when you look at the main sprite or background?

1 Like

Hi @Jamirus that’s a work in progress - I think I had photos from a Tekbright 700P but I never got around to fully matching it. Basically ignore it - it’s one for the future.

2 Likes

Depending on your settings i.e preset there may not be a difference as I may not have implemented the BGR layout for the particular mask. Most are done but you’d have to look through the masks in the shader code to be sure.

1 Like

Hi @Cyber hope you’re well so my first idea would be to use SDR mode and see if that resolves the mask issues. Then you can rule out whether it’s the TV crunching chroma in HDR mode or something else in your display pipeline.

1 Like

Greetings @MajorPainTheCactus, I think this response might have been intended for @faxesystem.

I’ve all but eliminated all of my issues with masks not displaying correctly on my OLED TV using the appropriate mask and subpixel layout settings in CRT-Guest-Advanced. I’m almost sure they will also apply to your shader.

I shared the link with my findings so you can follow. Hopefully with this knowledge you can finally update your guidance and start officially supporting OLED TVs just as LCD TVs.

Basically things look really messed up using RGB but much more like they’re supposed to using BGR Layout. This is with RRGGBBX Mask.

Do you have this mask layout available in Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor?

Eventually, I’ll load up the shader and try to share some even nicer Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor, The Legend of Zelda pics!

1 Like

RRGGBBX is available as the 300TVL mask in this shader.

By the way, @MajorPainTheCactus, have you considered adding a RRYGCBB mask? It’s pretty good for increasing brightness, at least on an SDR display.

2 Likes

No I haven’t but Ill have a play around with it and see how it looks. TBH though this shader is really designed for HDR or very bright SDR displays and I usually point people to Guest’s brilliant shader if they have dim displays. Thanks for this though I will take a look at this mask - it’s always interesting to see new ideas!

3 Likes

Ah just got my wires crossed, ok good to know!

1 Like

It’s pretty much a lower TVL version of the RYCBX 8K mask already included, and there’s room for it, too, as currently the RRGGBBX mask is repeated twice under the 8K masks, so it can replace one of those. Just a suggestion.

3 Likes

That sounds like a very solid argument! I’ll whack it in then - there’s definitely no point in having two the same.

2 Likes

Haha no problem.

So you mean set the max luminance to my tvs max nits or can I go higher with the shader without ruining the image?

BFI is good for scrolling games, but unnecessary for static backgrounds imo

2 Likes