Bezels on nvidia 1030 GPU

Hi all, specially @kokoko3k. I´m trying to build a cabinet with a TV mounted vertically, using some nice vertical overlays you can find here for example.

@HyperspaceMadness MegaBezel is excellent, but I can’t reach 60fps in 1080p with a GT1030 DDR5, so I’m thinking to use Koko-aio instead, at least for modest hardware. Ambilight won’t be much useful for that overlays, so I’m aiming mostly for bezel reflection and faster “CRT emulation”. Despite being more demanding, HSM Mega Bezel has a clever trick: Some of that vertical overlays already have a (nasty) plastic bezel as part of the .png file, HSM MB let you cast the reflection over a “transparent” bezel, so that reflections is shown actually over the “harcoded” plastic bezel, as you can see in the pic. Clever, uh? So, my question is: Can koko-aio do the same? If it can’t: would be too hard to implement a bezel with 0% opacity, but with reflection?

4 Likes

For the Mega Bezel you can try the GDV-MINI to get a bit more performance

3 Likes

/edit

I’m a bit tired and maybe I’m not fully answering to the question, let me know if that’s the case

/

If the suggestion by HSM is not enough, you can take a look to the work done by @estefan3112 on his koko-aio forked repo.

Btw, 0 opacity bezel is not needed, since the overlay can cover the unuseful part of the bezel, as you can see in the shipped commodore 1084 presets or the immersive ones.

@Starman99x and estefan’s work are here and take advantage of the ambient lights too, so if you’re interested: take a look:

Sorry @kokoko3k. My fault. Didn’t understand what your shader is capable of. Thanks for the links.

Or even the Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor Mega Bezel Presets if your display is bright enough @K-rnivoro.

By the way, did you try the presets in the MBZ__3__STANDARD performance tier?

1 Like

I understand both budget concerns and possibly the need for a low profile card, but this is not ideal for anything more than basic shaders.

If you must have a low profile card then I suggest trying the Intel Arc A380 which is around the same price.

ASRock Intel Arc A380 Low Profile 6GB OC GDDR6

If you have the width and a few more dollars…

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4060 OC Low Profile 8G Graphics Card

or an AMD option.

Acer Radeon RX 7600

Otherwise, there are a slew of affordable full size cards today.

3 Likes

Thanks Duimon. Being low profile is not important. Please remember I’m aiming to 1080p. A 4060 can be a little overkill for that, I guess 4K would demand a much powerfull GPU. I’m thinking about a Ryzen 5 5600G, but I’m not sure if it’s enough for @kokoko3k or @HyperspaceMadness shaders.

2 Likes

Understood, but I’m not sure how well this will work for a vertical (Portrait) setup. The number of pixels left for the actual game screen will be very low. :frowning_face:

1 Like

You’re right, I know what you mean. I’m more interested about looking like an actual cabinet (hence the vertical), than the fidelity of the image itself. Here in my country, technology is very expensive, a 4K TV with a 4060 board is something I can’t afford.

1 Like

I cannot test that specific hardware, but given that koko-aio delivers about 140fps on a 7th gen i5 at 1080p and about 100fps on 4th gen i5 for mame games and similar resolutions, you can do some quick math, provided you have comparisons between an hypotetical Ryzen 5xxx and the cpu i tested koko-aio on.

Consider that 4k takes about 4x the processing power of 1080p (a bit less).

4 Likes

Given the 100 fps for an old 4th gen i5 integrated graphics, for koko-aio I’m confident a Ryzen 5 5600G is more than enough for 1080p, maybe in 4K reachs 60 fps also. In any case, I can do some benchmark with my AMD A10 7650K with and without the GT1030 board, at least in 1080p and see what happens. Any recommendations of how to do it?

1 Like

In settings, frame throttle, set fast forward frameskip to off, then load a 320x240 png, activate fast forward (space) and hit f3 (show fps)

2 Likes

Get something at least equivalent to a GeForce GTX 1070 and you should be good to go for 4K.

There are quite a few that can fit that bill which shouldn’t be too expensive.

Geforce RTX 2060, Radeon RX 6600, the same Intel Arc that Duimon mentioned, GeForce GTX 1660, GeForce GTX 1650 Super, Radeon RX 5500 8GB, Radeon RX 5600, GeForce RTX 3050.

In my opinion you’re wasting money on an APU if you can get a much better GPU, even if used and a good enough CPU for more or less the same price. APUs tend to cost more than their nearest CPU counterparts while being slower.

Instead of a Ryzen 5 5600G, you can get a Ryzen 5 5600, 3600 or 5500.

AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler https://a.co/d/2fHcBFl

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler https://a.co/d/2nlxZPF

AMD Ryzen™ 5 5500 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler https://a.co/d/5iGIsJR

1 Like

Looking into GPU prices in Argentina, it costs at one location over $500 USD for a 3050 so there is going to have to be a little imagination.

I looked at https://www.ubuy.com.ar/en/brand/nvidia

1 Like

https://www.google.com/search?q=us+to+argentina+freight+forwarding&oq=us+to+argentina+freight+f&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBwgBECEYoAEyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigATIHCAIQIRigATIKCAMQIRgWGB0YHjIKCAQQIRgWGB0YHjIKCAUQIRgWGB0YHjIKCAYQIRgWGB0YHjIKCAcQIRgWGB0YHjIKCAgQIRgWGB0YHjIKCAkQIRgWGB0YHtIBCTIwOTMyajFqNKgCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#ip=1

1 Like

@K-rnivoro For gaming with a 5600G I found a ETAPrime video that should help

1 Like

MBZ__3__STANDARD is the one I’m using now. Is the one @ArsInvictus uses for the Pack we’re building. I should try GDV-MINI.

Yeah, prices here are insane…

Mi main rig (for PC gaming) is a B550 with Ryzen 5 5600X and a AMD 5700XT. I’m looking for something to build the arcade cabinet. Maybe @Cyber suggestions can help.

1 Like

One thing to keep in mind for these discussions, if @K-rnivoro is running a 4k image but using one of the vertical overlays, the actual image is much closer to 1080p or even smaller. I think he could get by with a pretty low end card if it’s only rendering to a small portion of the 4k screen? Or do the reflection calculations in the @HyperspaceMadness MBZ shader take a lot of horsepower regardless of the rendering resolution?