CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

i cant seem to find a difference between n64 saturn fine and nes n64 saturn sharp fine + blargg filter, can you confirm it is not the same pic?

Thanks they look great.

Just for you I double checked my presets and I retook two screenshots using both of them.

CyberLab CRT-Royale 4K N64_Saturn Fine.slangp

CyberLab CRT-Royale 4K NES_N64_Saturn Sharp Fine - Core Blargg NTSC Filter Recommended.slangp

You’re welcome and thanks.

One preset includes the Super-XBR shader while the other does not. The similarities could be due to the diminishing effect of smoothing shaders as resolution increases or it could be due to the relatively higher TVL, which leads to more blending of the edges thus reducing any aliasing to the point where it’s already too smooth to notice a difference when Super-XBR is applied.

Another factor could be that the amount of shading and colour blending (melding) employed in the art style of the game lends well to minimizing aliasing.

These are my newest presets and I’m not too familiar with emulating Sega Saturn games but this can also be seen when looking at many Turbo Duo games. The filtering effect isn’t as strong as on SNES games or NES games.

I’m going to double check the same presets on another system.

CyberLab CRT-Royale 4K NES_N64_Saturn Sharp Fine - Core Blargg NTSC Filter Recommended.slangp

1 Like

Hi Cyber, I love your amazing present, now I’m using the MBZ__0__Smooth-Advance_No_Reflections present, but I can’t run it full speed on my laptop on 1080p, is there any solution? Following are some information on my system: |CPU|Intel® Core™ i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz| |GPU|NVIDIA GeForce MX150| |RAM|8.00 GB| |OS|Windows 10 professional|

1 Like

Greetings @hz3353783, thanks a lot.

That’s what the other MBZ folders are for. The higher the number, the lower the performance requirements. So if MBZ__0 runs too slowly for you, then step down to MBZ__1 and so on all the way down to the MBZ__5__POTATO_No_Reflections presets.

If you’re getting close to 60fps but not quite, you can try tuning off Noise in Shader Parameters and make sure that Curvature is completely disabled as well.

Alternatively, you can use my CyberLab CRT-Royale Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack.

Wow, thanks, CRT-Royale Preset is the way I go :grin:

1 Like

For those who want to experience the future of CRT Shader Software Technology Right Now!

Click the link below to download

CyberLab Megatron Death To Pixels 4K HDR Shader Preset Pack

You have to follow the Sony Megatron Colour Video Monitor Setup Instructions properly for these presets to look as intended.

Please see instructions in RetroArch under ‘Quick Menu->Shaders->Shader Parameters’

See here for further info:

CyberLab Megatron 4K HDR Game SNES Composite.slangp

3 Likes

Hey Cyber, I’m confused about the Peak Luminance and Paper white Luminance under shader parameters, the default is

Peak Luminance: 630 Paper white Luminance: 1010

I’m no expert but I have an LG G2 and google says the Peak Luminance is 1000 and Paper white Luminance is 200-300. Why are these numbers so different from the default, am I jsut misunderstanding.

Thanks

1 Like

This is what works for my TV. They aren’t the Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor defaults though.

According to the setup instructions on the Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor thread, you’re supposed to look up your TV’s Peak Luminance from RTINGS. I added the part about other sources in the readme if you don’t find the information there.

Then once you set your Peak Luminance, you can adjust your Paperwhite Luminance to what looks best to you according to the Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor setup instructions.

Once you do this correctly, you can save a new Core, Game or Directory Preset so you don’t have to do it everytime you load that Core, Game or a game from that Directory.

All TVs are not the same especially when it comes to brightness potential so there isn’t a one size fits all solution when it comes to Peak Luminance and Paperwhite Luminance settings. They are specific to the model TV that you’re using and need to be adjusted by the user.

You’re welcome.

Since you’re seeing presets with Paperwhite settings of 1010, you should probably redownload the pack as I’ve done a couple stealth updates since the initial upload.

You can also update your Slang Shaders using the Online Updater since there have been significant changes to the Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor shader itself in the past couple of weeks.

Do remember that this is just the beginning and this is a new approach to doing things. If you stick with it, you’ll get the hang of it soon enough.

It only took me a couple years to finally get this shader working properly on my personal TV after trying a few times and getting less than stellar results.

So feel free to adjust the settings to suit your TV then of course do get back to me whether or not you make any progress.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m confused with what rtings says, there are many peak settings, which one do I use.

Peak 2% Window 976 cd/m²

Peak 10% Window 950 cd/m²

Peak 25% Window 387 cd/m²

Peak 50% Window 269 cd/m²

Peak 100% Window 177 cd/m²

Sustained 2% Window 838 cd/m²

Sustained 10% Window 867 cd/m²

Sustained 25% Window 357 cd/m²

Sustained 50% Window 256 cd/m²

Sustained 100% Window 169 cd/m²

i’ve been trying to get secret of evermore to look right, before the game gets to the title screen there’s a really dark scene and I can never get it to look right, I set the peak brightness to 900 and the white to 200 and it’s almost a black screen lol.

I’ll update everything too

This is because peak luminance varies depending on the scene/content and ABL behaviour.

Hallway Lights (~1950 cd/m²) 1,018 cd/m²

Yellow Skyscraper (~700 cd/m²) 606 cd/m²

Since Megatron is after the maximum your display is actually capable of, I would probably use the Hallway Lights at 1018 cd/m² result.

Failing that you can also try 950 cd/m².

Since HDR Game Mode is a lot dimmer than the brightest HDR mode, you cannot use 200 - 300 in that mode. You might be able to get away with such settings using the brightest HDR mode but you really don’t want to use that for gaming.

So don’t harp on the numbers too much, just do what the setup instructions say. Get your Peak, plug in your Peak.

For paperwhite you just need to literally turn it up until it looks right. The Megatron Thread has some recommendations regarding the 240p Test Suite so you can use that to fine tune them but how does everything look out the box using my settings with your TV in HDR Game Mode?

So it might seem tricky but it shouldn’t be too difficult once you don’t overthink on the numbers and use your eyes.

So there’s nothing wrong with paperwhite exceeding Peak if that’s what works for your particular set in a particular mode.

Send some pics if you can. A picture tells a thousand words.

I would use Peak 1000, from 250 to 350 paper white. On my LG C9 I use 800 peak and 350 paper white.

EDIT: After reading the instructions, it pretty much says you need to use HDR levels for paper white for it to really shine. I tried Using 800nits max and 600nits paper white and that looked very attractive. I don’t know if that is advisable, however…:thinking: Presumably the idea is to use all 800 nits of my 800 so paper white would also be 800 nits… :fire: :man_firefighter:

1 Like

Do you use HDR Bright mode or HDR Game mode?

Remember @DDB said that Paperwhite 200 resulted in an almost black screen.

It’s also possible that they were using the initial release of my preset pack which was tuned for Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor v5.6 with v5.7 of the Shader.

Hi, Cyber! HDR Game mode.

1 Like

This is just to give an idea of how CyberLab Megatron 4K HDR Game Genesis Composite Smooth.slangp looks to me. It looks much better in person.

CyberLab Megatron 4K HDR Game Genesis Composite Smooth

Here are some higher quality photos

Be sure to click on the images and click Load Full Resolution to experience the full quality.

2 Likes

The Quality looks really good. Well done😀

2 Likes

At some point there might be clipping though so you might have to be careful not to push too far.

The thing with these TVs is that HDR Game Mode is significantly dimmer than the brightest HDR mode so maybe that’s why we LG OLED TV users might be needing to crank it so high.

So in theory we might technically be doing the wrong thing but if it works?

The thing is, this is all uncharted territory so we are still figuring things out as we go along.

Thanks a lot man! As you can see I’ve been hard at work trying to perfect using this shader. You should give it a try sometime. My pack has some nice presets with both the CRT-Guest-Advanced-NTSC Section and Super-XBR combined!

2 Likes

When I can I’ll try it! I’m back to work, and these days I have too much work, that’s why I don’t post much these days. Keep the good work…

1 Like

Thanks for your interest in the topic and sharing your findings with us. I recently tried the Megatron presets and was delighted to see that the OLED pixel issue was completely fixed along with color/HDR issues. Your presets for it are awesome. I hope to use them with MegaBezel and glass soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re most welcome.

Thanks, I appreciate this. Believe it or not after a week or two of intense tweaking using just a few titles for reference, I am now actually getting a chance to try a wider variety of favourites and I can tell you that I’m probably just as blown away as you!

When it comes to the actual image and colours, I don’t think @MajorPainTheCactus needs to change anything at the moment. Things look perfect right now, at least for me.

Super Raiden - Super CD-ROM² looks amazing!

CyberLab Megatron 4K HDR Game Turbo Duo_Dreamcast S-Video Smooth

Legendary Axe II - Amazing, AeroBlasters - Gorgeous! Mega Turrican - Flawless.

Let’s hope things don’t have to be broken along the way to get better than this.

That might be a lot easier if Mega Bezel implements full support for the HDR version of Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor.

As it stands right now, my time is very limited to engage in these things and I seldom have time to look back. Right now, even after all that hard work I’ve invested into making my Neo GX Ultra presets and my 3rd gen Blargg-NTSC Video Filter Presets which I really loved, I strongly believe that the HDR way is the way of the future!

It would be nice if things like generic customizable reflective bezels and pillar boxes were available just as simple regular shaders for users to append and prepend with any shader of their choice just as with almost any other shader.

That way, if someone wanted a nice high quality reflective bezel effect to use with CRT-Royale or Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor HDR standalone or even possibly ReShade, they could just load up their favourite reflective bezel shader without jumping through too many hoops but I guess that’s something to look forward to in the future.

3 Likes

Here are the first HDR Screenshots of CyberLab Megatron 4K HDR Game SNES S-Video Smooth.slangp in action!

https://mega.nz/file/FExXyKbQ#HBKrAf5FTLU8fng-bjOIXjMU6rlYm9etJu28RKEmAsw

https://mega.nz/file/wZhQxIZS#FSJ4CNdmLSflMfMoCmhAcjf2q9w6FA1WUhVY8gIb5HM

I used nVIDIA Shadow Play to take these but there are other methods available.

3 Likes