CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

I’m also adding some pictures of screenshots when using CyberLab__Composite-Sharp__1080p__PVM-Edition__ADV as I think they, as screenshots, better shows how the shaders change when just changing from screen to screen. Just to quote again, that the colors on the CRT pictures looks really greenish and less saturated than IRL and their collors looks closer, if not better, than the LED ones. Using CyberLab__Composite-Sharp__1080p__PVM-Edition__ADV and the only alteration was CRT Compare = ON

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. I still am not really understanding the issue you were describing about the odd rainbow effect on the mask effect when using the LED display.

Of course differences in calibration, display panel and display technology can reveal differences in the output of the presets.

I’ll have to run through my presets on some different screens and see if I can see what you’re describing.

Are both your LED display and your CRT calibrated? Do they normally show the same colours and colour temperature? If not you can try calibrating.

This is the output on my 4K LED TV @ 1080p using my latest CyberLab Composite - Sharp 1080p PVM Edition preset.

Looks pretty neutral to me.

If you look at the colours in both of your A/B comparisons you’ll notice that in the first image both the original and filtered are warm and the colours look similar to my eyes, while both the original and filtered sides of image #2 have the same extra cool, greenish tint. I would advise calibrating your displays to your liking.

I think many here use the 240p Test Suite ROMs.

As for the odd rainbow effect you’re speaking about, is it those vertical bands that can be seen in all of your images using my presets on your LED display that you’re talking about?

If so, there can be so many different variables causing that, I’m not even sure where to start. It could very well be that a few adjustments to your display and maybe display driver settings might make all of that disappear.

Are you sure all of your HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader required RetroArch settings are correct? Especially Aspect Ratio - Full and Integer Scale - Off? I have my TV set to Game Mode and Aspect Ratio on my TV is set to Just Scan and my Input is labelled PC.

1 Like

Hi Guys,

New user here. :slight_smile:

I recently discovered this exceptionelly awesome shader preset pack. Kudos to “Cyber”, “HSM”, and all the other kind people who made, and shared this pro work. :slight_smile:

I switched to this preset pack from the CRT_Royale_XM29+ which also looks very good IMO, but these presets just looks a little “softer/more authentic” on the eyes to me.

I have 2 questions I hope people can help me with?

1. Is it possible to remove the bezel artwork from the shader? Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s fucking dope to be able to see in-game reflections on the bezel. The reason I would like to remove it though, is to get more screen real-estate. The aspect ratio and everything is top notch, but of course when applying a bezel the in-game area itself becomes smaller. Is it possible to use all the shading parameters, and just remove the bezel artwork?

2. Would you guys (primarily the ones who helped create this package) be willing to share your personal different presets for systems like SNES, Genesis, NES, Neo-Geo, CPS1/2 etc?

Again, thank you all for creating this. It really looks damn excellent. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome @Exception!

I’m glad you’re enjoying our presets and shaders. I would like to recommend that you take a read of my first post where I have shared some of my personal recommendations, similar to what you have requested.

Also, the question about removing the bezel has arisen and been addressed before probably here as well as in the HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader thread.

So I encourage you to try to maybe do a quick search or browse and see if you can find it. You can let me know if you still need further assistance and I’ll try to help a little more later.

Also, lookout for an important quality update within the next few hours!

1 Like

Hi Cyber,

I have already read the information, and the included “Readme” in the zip. But what would you recommend regarding PSX, and handheld systems etc.? For example when starting PSX games (Duckstation newest version), the playable screen area is very small.

I can’t seem to find the information regarding removing the bezel artwork. The only viable info I could find was trying to decrease opacity to 0% for general bezel, frame, and background, but that didn’t remove the bezel completely.

BTW. When you update, will the newest version appear here on this page? I’m guessing that updating “slang” shaders from within RA won’t cut it?

Thank you for replying, much appreciated. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the Mega Bezel world. Here we are not limited to such severe decisions as “To Bezel or not To Bezel.” :upside_down_face:

There are many parameters you can use to eke out some screen area and still get some bezel wonderfulness.

Here is an example of what I am doing for the Batocera decorations.

Default Bezel…

Custom Bezel.

All with a few careful parameter adjustments.

BTW the main thread for the Mega Bezel is here.

And a link to my graphics and preset thread, (For some example of various systems.) is here.

You will want to follow the upgrades for the Mega Bezel because Cyber’s presets will be.

2 Likes

Hi,

Your second screenshot looks to be what I might be after. Would you share the parameter settings you used to increase the playable “real estate”? :slight_smile:

I think that quality bezel artwork is nice, especially with the interactive reflections on them, but I would also like to utilize my gameplay area to the fullest, within the correct aspect ratio of course.

2 Likes

This is the contents of the preset.

#reference ":/shadersshaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets/MBZ__1__ADV__GDV.slangp"
HSM_ASPECT_RATIO_MODE = "2.000000"
HSM_NON_INTEGER_SCALE = "95.169991"
HSM_CURVATURE_2D_SCALE_LONG_AXIS = "70.000000"
HSM_CURVATURE_2D_SCALE_SHORT_AXIS = "45.000000"
HSM_SCREEN_VIGNETTE_ON = "0.000000"
HSM_TUBE_BLACK_EDGE_THICKNESS = "0.000000"
HSM_BZL_WIDTH = "50.000000"
HSM_BZL_HEIGHT = "40.000000"
HSM_BZL_INNER_CORNER_RADIUS_SCALE = "128.000000"
HSM_BZL_OUTER_CORNER_RADIUS_SCALE = "100.000000"
HSM_BZL_NOISE = "10.000000"
HSM_FRM_TEXTURE_OPACITY = "5.000000"
HSM_FRM_THICKNESS = "25.000000"
HSM_FRM_OUTER_EDGE_SHADING = "0.000000"
HSM_FRM_SHADOW_OPACITY = "200.000000"
HSM_FRM_SHADOW_WIDTH = "45.000000"
HSM_BZL_COLOR_HUE = "257.000000"
HSM_BZL_COLOR_SATURATION = "62.000000"
HSM_BZL_COLOR_VALUE = "60.000000"
BackgroundImage = ":/shaders/Mega_Bezel_Community/Duimon-Mega-Bezel/Graphics/Nintendo_SNES/SNES.png"

Of course the background image is dependent on my distribution.

Also the :/shaders/ syntax only works in Windows, not Linux.

My real point was that you, me, or any user, can customize the bezel in any way we wish.

There are a lot of features, one of which is a frame texture highlight that can give some different looks. The above preset is using the default, which is subtle, but changing the parameters, and/or replacing the image with a custom image can drastically change the appearance.

You can replace the top line “reference” preset to anything in the base presets folder, variations, folder or one of Cyber’s presets. Keep in mind that redundant values in the preset will replace values in the reference preset, so some tweaking may be needed in the case of Cyber’s.

I hate to detract from Cyber’s topic so if you have any other questions not directly related to his work, maybe one of the other two threads would be more appropriate.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say this is off topic. Many who are new to this might be interested in integrating your awesome bezels with my signature presets. I might have to do a template, sample or example to show how it can be done.

So you’all have fun feel free!

@Exception In terms of handheld systems you can take a look here:

I updated my Shader Preset Pack. You can get it at the download link in my first post. Or you can also wait for the next HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader update as its also included in the Experimental folder.

I haven’t used Duckstation. I think I tried it once and it didn’t work for whatever reason but I have tried and tested my presets in Beetle PSX. Feel free to combine that with my Composite - Sharp PVM Edition or Composite - Pure PVM Edition. For games like Symphony of The Night you might want to set MDAPT to 0 as it interferes with some of the text but it’s minor so you can leave it as is if it doesn’t bother you.

Depending on your graphics card, you may or may not run into some issues running 3D cores at greater than native resolution. If that happens give Native resolution a try and see how you like the effects provided by my presets. There are other solutions available as well.

1 Like

Thank you my friend. I shall fear no more. :grin:

2 Likes

I think we may be talking a bit past each other here. It’s not that I want to change certain details or aspects of the shader/bezel. I simply wanted to remove, or like you did, bring the gameplay area itself “closer” to the screen. I seem to have found what I was looking for though.

Below is an example of the relative simple thing I was looking to do.

With bezel:

Without bezel (what I was looking for):

The option was simply called “ASPECT RATIO” - Type 6 - Full.

Thank you for taking the time to try and help though, much appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

The reason I came here was initially because of the very good shader preset that you have created. It wasn’t the bezel artwork initially. Hence I have zero experience with combining the different presets with different bezel and so forth. So when you guys post something like “If you replace the reference shader in my preset, with Cyber’s and then adjust the [CORE RES SAMPLING]”, it can be a bit hard to follow.

“I might have to do a template, sample or example to show how it can be done.” I think that would be VERY beneficial to newcomers. Maybe a step by step :slight_smile:

I tried running “Composite - Sharp PVM Edition” on MelonDS (NDS), and it seems quite good actually, if maybe not completely “authentic”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

True. The Mega Bezel is the product of 3 years of work and contains thousands of lines of code. Not to mention over a hundred parameter settings. It can be daunting. The home thread is a good resource.

The cool thing is… no one here has a deadline… ask as many questions as you need.

As far as examples go I have 1800 presets that can be looked at in a text editor and browsed through live, like convenient window shopping.

That and regular support from the author of the shader, myself , @TheNamec, and Cyber, not to mention a very active community.

I think you might be happier with downloading the stand-alone Guest Advance shader.

While not every parameter Cyber is using is in the stand-alone, or has the same parameter name, simply using it and setting the RA aspect to 4x3, you might have an easier time.

4 Likes

Honestly it’d make more sense from a computer resource perspective to just run guests advanced by itself, in this specific use case. (As I don’t think any of HSM’s stuff is needed to accomplish that specific look.)

3 Likes

Take a read here if you would like to know how to disable the bezel/background graphics. You can read from this post and the next 2 or 3:

Another simple way to disable the bezel and backgrounds is to set Opacity to 0 for “Bezel General”, “Frame” and “Background” in the Shader Parameters.

Lastly, you can use the Zoom feature in the Shader Parameters and just Zoom the screen in until you crop out the entire bezel. Combined with lowering the Global Graphics Brightness to 0, that will give you full screen, correct aspect ratio, my shader presets and no Bezel nor Graphics.

Since you don’t care much for the bezel and reflections you should be using the presets in the MBZ__2__Performance_No_Reflections folder of my shader preset pack.

Also, if you’re using BSNES or Higan try setting your resolution to 512 x 224 for games like Super Mario World or Super Mario Kart. Or even better yet. Just use my CyberLab Composite - Pure PVM Edition shader preset for an even more authentic look!

2 Likes

Hi what you did certainly does work, and if you are happy with it that that’s totally cool.

If you want to try another solution, you may want to set your retroarch video aspect ratio to FULL, that’s because that’s why the sides are cut off/black.

Then if you want the screen bigger you can either use the shader parameters for viewport zoom, or Non-Integer scale.

2 Likes

If you want to use HSM and want a more zoomed-in look:

Retroarch Settings:
Settings > Video > Scaling > Integer Scale = Off
Settings > Video > Scaling > Integer Overscale = Off (up to your setup)
Settings > Video > Scaling > Aspect Ratio = Full

HSM Settings:
[CRT SCREEN SCALING]
Int Scale Mode - Off | ShortAxies | BothAxes = 1
Int Scale Multiple Offset = 1
3 Likes

@Exception Just to expand on what @HyperspaceMadness said, I will list a simple and technically correct method to achieve what you’re looking for that shouldn’t create any other issues:

1. Set Global Graphics Brightness to 0.

2. Then under CRT Screen Scaling set Int. Scale Mode to 0 and Non-Integer Scale % to 100.

3. Be sure to use the presets in the MBZ_2_Performance_No_Reflections folder.

This method using the Non-Integer Scale setting might be a bit more precise than using the Zoom and having to eyeball when you’ve reached the edges without going over. Since my presets use Integer Scale, you’d have to set that to mode 0 as stated in the steps above.

3 Likes

Hi Cyber,

I’m a retro gaming enthusiast since many years. Like many here, I grew up in the 80s/90s, played 8bit/16bit in real time, but since 2004 I’ve been playing purely on emulators (with original controllers).

The games didn’t look as great as I remembered them.

But I played them that way until a week ago where I stumbled upon your preset pack by accident, downloading it and the HSM shader.

I was absolutely speechless. I still can’t believe my eyes! It’s so nice to look at the games that way.

I have a few questions, if I may, after looking through the entire thread:

1. When emulating NES/Famicom especially, I prefer a “curved” screen like in the old TVs. I noticed that your “TV” emulations are pretty “flat”. Is there a chance to see a preset with the curved glass TV of the 80s? Would be cool actually if all presets could be with “flat” or “curved” glasses…

2. I noticed that you wrote that Composite - Sharp PVM Edition is your best preset. Is the RGB one the same, with a different color “gamut”? What’s the difference between them? Because the RGB one looks great on the SNES. Composite Sharp is a tad… darker?

3. I took your advice to try Sega Genesis Sonic with the blending and transparency preset. It does look great. What does it do that makes it so different than the rest? I saw that you wrote: “Since you like playing Sonic in RGB mode, I’ll add an RGB version of my Blending and Transparency Edition preset so you’ll get proper waterfall and other transparency effects, even while enjoying the sharpness of RGB!” - I think this will be the best of both worlds? Do you recommend this preset for the Genesis or also for the SNES?

Thank you. I hope I wasn’t requesting in a harsh way. Nontheless, I appreciate what you already shared with the community, its golden!

2 Likes

I’ll have to answer you in parts with a few edits.

To raise the brightness, I suggest either increasing the Post CRT Brightness Setting which is near the top of the Shader Parameters List or changing the Scanline Type – gsl to a lower number. You shouldn’t need to touch anything else to get a great look that’s brighter.

Most of what you’ve read on Reddit over the past few months is probably already outdated.

The RGB Sharp currently in my Shader Preset Pack currently represents the “Old” look. It’s all a matter of personal preference any of them can be customized to get the type of look or to cater for different scenarios. I can’t recall saying that any particular one of my presets is the best. I might have had my favourites or ones that I used the most at the time.

It’s easy to get a curved “Screen” without curving the game. HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader supports independent curvature.

It’s just a few settings to adjust and I’d be happy to assist you in that regard. You can try to look for those options in the meantime and just save a Game or Core Preset when you have what you like.

The difference between Blending and Transparency and Composite - Sharp is that MDAPT is set to Mode 3, that’s all. It’s used for games like Sonic but can really mess up graphics and text in some games. So you have to see which games work best with which settings. Some look best with MDAPT off. Some look better with ScaleFX Off.

Composite - Pure is Composite - Sharp with both MDAPT and Scale FX disabled.

I have to run off now but feel free to follow up and explore the settings I’ve mentioned. I’m glad you like my presets! It feels good to know that I can share something that makes me excited and brings me joy with others. Be sure to share this with others that they too will also enjoy.

1 Like