CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

Basically you want to reverse the layout if you’re using a three color mask with a display that has RGB subpixels. BGR subpixels should use the default setting. Other subpixel layouts require some slight alteration of the code.

2 Likes

Thank you for the in-depth reply, it is very much appreciated! I can’t wait to mess around with the settings over the weekend.

So feel free to go ahead and experiment. Even though it may sound tedious to go through all those Mask Types, Sizes and Layouts, it’s not really that hard.

Not tedious at all! I was overwhelmed with all the settings, but you have given me a good starting point

It’s a really cool project and you and some of the other posters here seem very passionate, and are very welcoming of everyone, so I am happy to spread the word when I can. Thanks again, I will probably be back with more questions at some point!!

1 Like

It might not be the right space for it but I have experienced that Guest’s RRGGBBx is amazing for CPS2 (cps1?) content. It does a great job of creating transparency effects. No other mask looks as good. Try it for yourself. Play Street Fighter Alpha 3/ Zero 3.

3 Likes

I have tried it actually and while it is probably the best for 4K displays if you’re looking to have the most accurate presentation and proper mask and subpixel alignment, my current display isn’t compatible with it.

You need to be able to run 4K60Hz at RGB Full 4:4:4 Colour format for it to work properly.

I’ve included a tip in the first post of this thread for users who have compatible screens to use that instead of Mask 6.

2 Likes

CyberLab Presents:

CyberLab Ultimate Virtual Slot Mask CRT-1P2RTA

CyberLab Ultimate Virtual SlotMask CRT - 1P2RTA - Video 1

CyberLab Ultimate Virtual SlotMask CRT - 1P2RTA - Video 2

CyberLab Ultimate Virtual SlotMask CRT - 1P2RTA - Video 3

You can use MPC-HC, MX Player or VLC Player to view the videos.

You have to load full resolution, then open in new tab or window, zoom in or view fullscreen in order for these to look correct because of the mask and scanline settings.

7 Likes

With new presets come new recommendations. I’ve used friendly, abbreviated names and not the preset filenames in the list below. If you can’t figure out which friendly names correspond to which presets, feel free to ask.

NES - CyberLab NES for Blargg + Core Blargg S-Video Filter 

SNES - CyberLab Slot Mask, CyberLab SNES, CyberLab SNES Sharp 

Arcade/Neo Geo - CyberLab Slot Mask, CyberLab Arcade Sharp 

Atari - CyberLab Arcade Sharp, CyberLab Old TV, CyberLab Atari, CyberLab Atari Sharp 

C64 - CyberLab C64, CyberLab Computer Monitor Raw 

Sega Genesis/CD/32X - CyberLab Slot Mask for Blargg + CyberLab Genesis Blargg S-Video Filter, CyberLab Genesis for Blargg + CyberLab Genesis Blargg S-Video Filter 

Turbo Duo/PC-Engine/CD/SuperGrafx - CyberLab Slot Mask for Blargg + CyberLab Turbo Duo Blargg S-Video Filter, CyberLab Turbo Duo for Blargg + CyberLab Turbo Duo Blargg S-Video Filter 

N64 - CyberLab N64, Composite Pure 

PSX - CyberLab PSX, CyberLab Slot Mask

Dreamcast - CyberLab Slot Mask, CyberLab Computer Monitor Smooth

By the way, these recommendations are in order of my current preferences.

5 Likes

@Cyber are you eventually doing all the systems or are you doing only specific systems?

1 Like

I don’t have plans to do all systems at the moment just the ones I focus on, play and test. As I try and test others, I might expand my recommendations and add additional presets.

In some cases my “console specific” presets are just shortcuts to my general presets that have been tested and seem to work well with said console.

In other cases they have additional tweaks to make them look better on different systems.

But they’re primarily there for users to have an easier time matching the right presets with the right systems in order to get the most out of my preset pack by setting things up following my recommendations.

If users don’t and just choose a random preset like one of the sharpening presets that are intended to be used with Blargg Video Filters they might be in for an unpleasant surprise.

This isn’t what I want for users, I want them to have at least the same magical and immersive experience that I enjoy!

2 Likes

When I started using your shader presets I did go through each one to see what was best for the system I was playing. Putting the system name in the title has made it easier.

3 Likes

I put recommendations in my first post to help users find the appropriate presets for the systems. That’s part of the reason why the first post is so long. It’s very comprehensive but it seems like many users like to jump right in.

4 Likes

The mask is good, but where are the scanlines?

3 Likes

Thanks. I actually kinda like the way it looks now. It strongly reminds me of the original “Death To Pixels” .cgp preset I used to use with Analog Shader Pack 3.0.

Scanline settings are mostly at the defaults except GSL Scanline Type, which is at -1.

This is my first Slot Mask preset so it might take me a while before I master how to control and balance everything, including scanline settings. I’m taking it in stages.

4 Likes

Made some tweaks to my Blargg S-Video Filter Settings.

CyberLab Slot Mask for Blargg + CyberLab Genesis Blargg S-Video Filter

CyberLab Slot Mask for Blargg + CyberLab Genesis Blargg Composite Filter

You have to load full resolution, then open in new tab or window, zoom in or view fullscreen in order for these to look correct because of the mask and scanline settings.

6 Likes

Right on the heels of CyberLab Ultimate Virtual Slot Mask CRT-1P2RTA, I now present to you CyberLab Slot Mask II.

5 Likes

I absolutely love the Old TV Interference one. Amazing work. Is there a way to use that with one of the Soqueroeu TV backgrounds? That would be the best of both worlds for me.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m glad you like it!

Of course! If you look in my MBZ_3_Standard_Full_Reflections folder you’ll see some presets that I’ve made using @soqueroeu’s TV-Backgrounds. You can just use one of those as your template. You’ll have an easier time if you’re on a 4K screen but if not, you can adjust some of the scale settings until things fit. Feel free to ask for assistance while you try to get things right.

You can copy the parameters from my Old TV Shader Preset into one of the existing @Soqueroeu’s TV Presets - Particularly the ones that deal with Halation and Noise.

If you want to change the TV Backgrounds just edit the name of the background to whichever Backgrounds preset you would like to use.

What resolution are you running at by the way?

You might also want to change the Mask Size to 0 (Auto).

Take a look at this 900p example.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the help. I think I understand it more now. I’m running 4k. Currently I have these settings and while it looks closer to your Old TV, it still seems a bit off. Like the lighting or bloom is slightly off? I’m gonna have to keep experimenting.

#reference "../../../../Mega_Bezel_Community/Soqueroeu-TV-Backgrounds_V2.0/presets/TV-Console/00_Generic_03.slangp"
scangammaoffset = "2.500000"
g_hue_degrees = "-7.000000"
wp_temperature = "6500.000000"
GDV_DECONVERGENCE_ON = "0.000000"
g_sat = "0.000000"
post_br = "1.310000"
h_sharp = "5.200000"
GAMMA_INPUT = "2.100000"
gamma_out = "2.500000"
bloom = "0.150000"
halation = "0.400000"
scan_falloff = "0.250000"
g_crtgamut = "1.000000"
scans = "0.000000"
GDV_NOISE_ON = "1.000000"
glow = "0.000000"
masksize = "1.000000"
gsl = "2.000000"
scanline1 = "9.000000"
scanline2 = "9.000000"
beam_min = "1.350000"
beam_max = "1.300000"
shadowMask = "13.000000"
maskstr = "1.000000"
addnoised = "0.900000"
noiseresd = "2.000000"
HSM_ASPECT_RATIO_ORIENTATION = "1.000000"
HSM_ASPECT_RATIO_MODE = "2.000000"
HSM_INTRO_WHEN_TO_SHOW = "0.000000"
HSM_NON_INTEGER_SCALE = "61.570278"
HSM_CURVATURE_2D_SCALE_LONG_AXIS = "10.000000"
HSM_CURVATURE_2D_SCALE_SHORT_AXIS = "5.000000"
HSM_BZL_USE_INDEPENDENT_SCALE = "1.000000"
HSM_INT_SCALE_MODE = "1.000000"
HSM_INT_SCALE_MULTIPLE_OFFSET = "-2.000000"
HSM_BZL_INDEPENDENT_SCALE = "61.470329"
HSM_BZL_USE_INDEPENDENT_CURVATURE = "1.000000"
HSM_REFLECT_CORNER_ROTATION_OFFSET_TOP = "-3.000000"
HSM_REFLECT_CORNER_ROTATION_OFFSET_BOTTOM = "-4.000000"
1 Like

Halation has a profound effect on overall brightness so you can probably also copy and replace all of the following parameters with the values from the Old TV Shader Preset:

g_hue_degrees = "-7.000000"
g_sat = "0.000000"
post_br = "1.310000"
g_crtgamut = "1.000000"
addnoised = "0.900000"

It might still look off because of the Scanlinegammaoffset and other moire mitigation settings which are not present in the Old TV Shader so you might have to play around with the post_br to bring the brightness back in line.

If I have time I might take a look into it but you can experiment in the meantime. The main ingredients for the Old TV look are the noise and Halation settings anyway so you can take almost any existing preset and apply those values and you might get something satisfactory.

Perfect, thank you. I see where my mistake was - I used your console specific SNES one as a template but switched the reference to one of Soqueroeu’s Generic TV backgrounds so that’s why it felt a bit off. But when I don’t edit the reference line and then apply the Old TV parameters, then the effect looks perfect. Thank you.

1 Like

This video needs to be seen! I consider it a definitive resource on the pros and cons of using CRT TVs for modern Retro-Gaming.

2 Likes