CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

PSA 16-07-22: Users might want to hold off on updating their HSM Mega Bezel installations past Version 0.9.107 2022-04-17 Rev 1 if they want my presets to continue looking like they should until the following issue is resolved.

HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

1 Like

5 Likes

@Cyber

Using your 4K composite sharp preset on bsnes mercury accuracy core. Any reason why the bezels aren’t stretching to near the bottom of the screen like your screenshots? Also, are your presets inaccurate when using HDR through the RetroArch settings? I was having trouble taking screenshots with it turned on.

1 Like

Greetings @retrorevive92,

You’re using a 4K_Optimized preset at 1440p resolution. Perhaps you should be using presets that are optimized for 1440p?

I don’t use BSNES Mercury, I use Higan (Accuracy).

Most of my presets use Integer Scale so the vertical size would snap to the nearest integer. If that’s too small for you, you try increasing the Base Integer Scale Height % or the Integer Scale Multiple Offset.

You can also go brave and try disabling Integer Scale, then you can set the viewport size anyway you wish (Non-integer Scale %), however this is not recommended as it can lead to moire patterns, uneven scanlines and other unwanted artifacts.

My presets are not designed for nor tested in HDR mode so they should be used in SDR mode. I have no clue how they would look in HDR mode. My guess is that any content that’s designed for and intended to be viewed in SDR mode would not look “accurate” in HDR mode.

What trouble are you having when trying to take screenshots? I either press the F8 key or press Alt+F2 to use Nvidia GeForce Experience.

1 Like

Update 29/07/22:

OLED TV users rejoice!! Finally we can enjoy RGB, (well RBG) triads with proper sizes and alignment with my new CyberLab Slot Mask IV OLED presets!

Note: These should also work fine on 4K LCD TV’s with RGB subpixel layouts. If your TV has a BGR layout, you have to flip the Mask Layout to 0 (RGB)

1 Like

Hi, I’ve got a bit of an issue with the 1080p presets. When using these presets, something just seemed off, but I couldn’t place it. I am very new to shaders and CRTs in general, so please forgive my lack of understanding here. I think that the issue is that the horizontal gap between each fully exposed pixel is so small that it doesn’t appear at all. Each row just blends into each other, making the game appear to just have these huge vertical lines. This is most obvious to me on Ocarina of Time’s title screen, where the majority of the screen has no visible horizontal gaps.

Here’s a few screenshots of different games, using three different presets compared to HSM’s 3-ADV preset.

https://imgur.com/a/UzcsBwX

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll take a look at them. Can you state the complete names of the presets in question that are doing this please?

I now realized that you did state the names - CyberLab SNES, CyberLab SNES Sharp and CyberLab N64.

Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Also, have you downloaded my very latest preset pack along with the latest HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader? They were both updated yesterday.

Nintendo 64 or any other system is not going to show very distinct horizontal scanline gaps if you’re using double or more internal resolution. So if your N64 Core is set to 640 x 480 you wouldn’t get as strong or as thick scanlines as if it were set to 320 x 240.

I forgot to include a new screenshot after updating, and my post is still awaiting approval. so… sorry for the double post.

1 Like

Ah, my bad, I was using an old version. It does look better after updating, the scanline gaps are definitely more visible now. Though they might still not be emphasized enough at 1080, the vertical bars are still pretty obvious to me. I’m thinking that not much can be done about it though, I looked closer at my screenshots in a viewer that doesn’t blur when zoomed in, and realized there’s really only two pixel rows for each scanline to work with at 1080 (which in hindsight is really obvious, I should have realized that earlier, 1080\480=2.25). I’ll be sure to check this shader out again on n64 after I upgrade to a 1440p or 4k monitor.

For the record though, those vertical bars are pretty obvious to me on n64 using all of your presets. And yeah, I was using the native resolution, 640x480.

1 Like

Most N64 Games used 320 x 240/low res mode by the way so you can set your internal resolution to 320 x 240 if you want to see scanlines.

Also, be sure to toggle the Mask Layout option and stick with the one that looks best on your screen.

You can also try my CyberLab__Ultimate_Virtual_Slot_Mask_CRT-1P2RTA__ADV and any other presets in my pack.

2 Likes

This might be a good TV for CRT Emulation:

1 Like

Update 31/07/22:

Just added a couple presets for Mobile or Low spec PC gamers. You’ll find them in the MBZ__5__Potato_No_Reflections folder.

PSA: In the near future we (the members of the Mega Bezel Team) are going to be moving our respective projects to the “Mega_Bezel_Packs” folder. I’m just putting this out there in advance so that users won’t be caught off guard.

4 Likes

@Cyber just saw this Philips Anubis AAC crt image running scart and remember how close one of your presets look, but cant remember which one lol

3 Likes

Judging by the look of the mask pattern and scanlines, probably my Computer Monitor presets might come close from a distance but my modern CyberLab Ultimate Virtual Slot Mask CRT-1PT2RTA and CyberLab Slot Mask II, III & IV OLED presets would probably look even closer.

Slot Mask IV OLED is not only for OLED by the way and you can use a higher GSL Scanline type to have more intense scanlines. Remember to toggle the Mask Layout to match your screen.

You can also adjust the Slot Mask Height to 3 to more closely match the height of the Slot Mask in the picture.

These recommendations are all based on using a 4K screen by the way.

You have to load full resolution, then open in new tab or window, zoom in or view fullscreen in order for these to look correct because of the mask and scanline settings.

My CyberLab Arcade Sharp PVM-EDITION also looks really nice and crisp but it’s based on Trinitron (Aperture Grill mask) while that Phillips screenshot uses a Slot Mask.

3 Likes

You have to load full resolution, then open in new tab or window, zoom in or view fullscreen in order for these to look correct because of the mask and scanline settings.

CyberLab__NES__ADV.slangp + Core_Blargg_NTSC_S-Video_Filter

CyberLab__Ultimate_Virtual_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_CRT-1P2RTA_for_CyberLab_or_Core_Blargg_Composite_or_S-Video_Filter.slangp + Core_Blargg_NTSC_S-Video_Filter

CyberLab__Ultimate_Virtual_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_CRT-1P2RTA_for_CyberLab_or_Core_Blargg_Composite_or_S-Video_Filter.slangp + Blargg_NTSC_Turbo_Duo_SNES_PSX_RGB_CyberLab_Special_Edition.filt

CyberLab__Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_for_CyberLab_or_Core_Blargg_S-Video_or_RGB_Filter.slangp + Blargg_NTSC_Turbo_Duo_SNES_PSX_RGB_CyberLab_Special_Edition.filt

4 Likes

Beautiful stuff @Cyber!

3 Likes

Thanks very much @Neofuuma! This latest “IV OLED” preset will be included in the next update.

Do you have a 4K screen to enjoy it in all its fullness?

I would imagine that it will actually look just as good if not better on a decent 4K LCD display! Especially a smaller one.

2 Likes

Actually, all I get to enjoy is an old 42" Visio TV screen, at 1080. One of these decades I’ll upgrade, but the wife probably won’t let me do it for retrogaming alone :rofl:

1 Like

Well do it for everything then! You can make gaming a social, family, couch co-op affair with living room/bedroom/home theatre/gaming PCs!

1 Like