CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

Thanks.

I remember you made this statement some time ago.

Well, with my new NTSC Shader Presets, this has been accomplished.

The tools to do it were already in existence for quite some time, it just took some time and experimentation in order to understand them well enough to find the right settings.

1 Like

That TV frame is really clean, is it Dumions work?!

1 Like

This is the incredible work of @soqueroeu! I made some custom CRT Shader presets which point to some of his excellent TV Backgrounds. So once both of our Mega Bezel Packs are installed anyone can enjoy the combination that you see in those videos!

Yes it definitely is!

Here’s the link:

1 Like

Sweet, a lot of good stuff there for sure! Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, now I’m confused again. :grin: Let’s say I want to use your CyberLab__RGB-Smooth__PVM-Edition__ADV.slangp with soqueroeu graphics. What would be the easiest way?

1 Like

This method should work fine:

Do note that you don’t have to rename any presets to .params. So leave the filenames as they are.

For any secondary presets that you want to use as a params file, you would have to delete or comment out the reference line. In this case you would be using the presets containing graphics as the secondary presets/params files.

The only thing you might want to add is a line below the second reference line that says

HSM_INT_SCALE_MODE = "0.000000"

…as well as this for non-flat presets.

HSM_CURVATURE_MODE = "1.000000"

CyberLab_NES_Composite_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_NTSC + Nintendo_NES.slangp

#reference "../../../MBZ__1__Advance_Full_Reflections/1080p_Optimized_Presets/Console_Specific_Presets/CyberLab_NES_Composite_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_NTSC.slangp"

#reference "../../../../Soqueroeu-TV-Backgrounds_V2.0/presets/TV-Console/Nintendo_NES.slangp"

HSM_INT_SCALE_MODE = "0.000000"
HSM_CURVATURE_MODE = "1.000000"
HSM_CRT_CURVATURE_SCALE = "10.000000"
HSM_TUBE_DIFFUSE_MODE = "0.000000"

For all of this to work, I only needed to convert @soqueroeu’s preset to a params file by commenting out the reference line by adding // in front of it.

// #reference "../../../../shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/MBZ__3__STD.slangp"

The most important part and probably the most difficult for those who aren’t advanced users might be to get the paths correct.

As of this time of writing, this method can be used to combine any of my CRT presets (without modification) with any of Soqueroeu-TV-Backgrounds’ graphics presets.

1 Like

This clip was a refreshing blast into the past.

3 Likes

Hello sorry to bother with this but i would like to check again just to be sure, hsm 1.9.0 is already out, should i use that version of hsm or should i use 1.7.0 to not have problems with death pixel shader?

1 Like

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack 1.7.0 goes with HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader 1.7.0.

If you use CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack 1.7.0 on HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader 1.9.0 it won’t look as intended.

If you read through posts on the HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader thread over the past few weeks since 1.8.0 was released, you’ll eventually see some posts talking about differences in output between versions as well as reports and evidence of bugs in the reflection implementation when bezel independent scale is used.

Even 1.7.0 has that reflection bug. I know HyperSpaceMadness has been hard at work ironing out some stuff but based on my last checks the reflection bug still exists even in 1.9.0. So I’m allowing some time for things to settle and be resolved before moving onto adjusting presets just so that they’ll look as good as they already looked.

At some point I will try to take a look back and see where the reflection bug came into the equation. If it’s post version 1.5.0 then from an overall perspective I’d have to say that 1.5.0 would have to have been one of the best releases of HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader at least for my usage scenario since it offers improved performance over any release following it.

I might even return to that one until the bugs are ironed out once it still works on my updated RetroArch setup.

See here:

1 Like

Ok thank you for the information, i’ll use 1.7.0 combo for now then, i’ll check more the forum to see if there is any updates in this reflection research.

1 Like

If you need or prefer to use CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack 1.7.0 with HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader 1.9.0 you might have to play around with the various Horizontal Sharpness and Subtractive Sharpness settings until you get an equivalent looking image.

It’s not that I haven’t started working on updating my pack or testing it but to do all that testing and updating needs some worthwhile benefit.

For me that means:

1. A settling of the NTSC presets and their Filtering Controls since after I tweaked the existing versions and worked around any peculiarities to achieve my desired look, me and my big mouth pointed out some discrepancies and that led to HyperSpaceMadness fixing things so I will definitely have to do over some of my preset tweaks and:

2. A fixing of the reflection bug when Bezel Independent Scale is used because I need Bezel Independent Scale for my SNES presets to look as intended.

All of those issues were discussed in posts subsequent to the one I just shared with you.

1 Like

i think there is a weird colour in the middle idk if it is intended to look like that ! or the other way in the second image as i’m already looking there is a magenta clue on the middle of the screen it changes position and size depending on viewport zoom, this thing only happens on drez for psx, as it doesn’t happen with any other shading on other consoles also i’m trying in the first one a viewport of 90

1 Like

What are you trying to accomplish by using viewport zoom?

My presets are only tested with the settings that they come with. If you start adjusting settings especially things that make scale the viewport to a smaller size, all sorts of unpredictable and unpleasant anomalies may arise due to fact that you might be throwing off the alignment between the mask and your display’s subpixels as well as reducing the number of effective pixels you have available to render the mask, scanlines and graphics.

So please try to explain in a little more detail what you would like to achieve and also can you send me some zoomed in pictures/screenshots focusing on the specific anomaly that you’re experiencing so that I can more clearly identify what you’re talking about?

Something looks very wrong with those screenshots. What internal resolution are you running at in the core and which core are you using exactly?

Also, I notice you’re running at 1080p desktop resolution. 1080p might be a bit limited in terms of the mask settings that would work well with it.

ok i was trying to correct the magenta clue in the middle of the image or in other places by changing the viewport zoom, but as i’m looking already, integer scale to short or both axis “solves” the problem here is the phenomenom in the standard way without configurations altered, and also the last are with integer scale in short axis and with both axis

1 Like

Okay, instead of using viewport zoom for this, you could try using Non-Integer Scale %. There should be a point where it goes away.

Seeing that you got it to go away by using Integer Scale Mode, you can switch on Integer Scale Mode 1, then in the Shader Parameters turn on Show Info. It should be the first option in Shader Parameters Menu.

Look for either Integer Scale % or Non-Integer Scale % here. Take a note of that value, then change Integer Scale Mode back to 0. Then enter the value you got (or as close as possible to it) in the step before as the Integer Scale Mode %.

It is very likely that that the “phenomenon” might be reduced, gone or different. You might have to fine tune the value until the anomaly is gone.

The reason I used Non-Integer Scale instead of Integer Scale in this instance is that PSX games that change resolution change the bezel dimensions as well and I find this to be a bit distracting.

Of course you’re free to use whatever Integer Scale Mode works for you.

Also remember that I use Mask Layout = 1 for my 1080p Optimized presets. You should choose the Mask Layout that’s appropriate for your display.

1 Like

it’s quite weird but as i adjusted the values i quite get the same results as before but with the thing more in the middle, i had already adjusted non integer scale to 88.80 which it is the closer i can get to 88.88 which it was the reported non integer with integer scale mode in 1 the only value after reverting back to integer scale mode 0 is non integer scale, it seems that by changing non scale integer offset by .10 value has changed the screen resolution exactly to how it was in integer scale value 1 and now it seems that it looks exactly the same

1 Like

You know you can also enter these values manually by opening the Shader Preset file in a text editor. That’s my way of working around situations where the UI doesn’t allow me to enter the exact values that I want. You can even go over some of the maximum values for some parameters by doing this.

Excellent! Clever idea to get more fine grained control.

So it seems as though your issue has been resolved!

I did however, find the differences in Core Output resolution discrepancy among your screenshots to be a bit strange. For example, where did 768 x 717 come from in the first screenshot and why do the others show 1920 x 1200?

1 Like

changed core internal resolution, one is 3x the other is 5x

1 Like

i would like to know, should i use swanstation scaled dithering in combination with drez preset? or should i completely disabled dithering and enable or not true color rendering?

1 Like

I have no idea as I’ve never used Swanstation. DREZ really has to do with limiting the Core resolution which flows through the shader pipeline so you’re free to render at higher internal resolution then downscale.

True color as far as I know refers to 24 bit colour, while 15 or 16 bit were referred to as high colour. Perhaps the PSX natively supported 15 or 16 bit colour so rendering at 24 bit True colour might reduce banding or the need for dithering.

So I guess you might be able to disable dithering if true colour allows smooth colour blending and gradation without requiring dithering but I’m not sure it works like that as I’m only speculating.

You could also probably allow dithering and use NTSC Filtering of some sort to blend the dithering. For example Blargg (not sure if it works with PSX but it might depending on the colour depth/format) or GTU, MDAPT or SGENPT-MIX in the Smooth-ADV presets or you can use the GDV-NTSC presets.

It all depends on if you’re going for a more authentic look or an enhanced look.

2 Likes